AVS Forum banner

Dual Devastator micro build

51K views 587 replies 45 participants last post by  imrf 
#1 · (Edited)
For info on my dual BMD Alpha devastators, scroll to near the end of this thread!

Update: devastators are done! Gtg scheduled to show others what they added to my system. Gtg is 1-11-20! So far the attendees are: @hd0823 @imrf @VicTorious1 @brian6751 @thisismyname123 @Soloact @Jefro6996
Please let me know if you want to join in!

Thanks to the devastator index, I found a design I can actually fit and integrate into my theater system. I’ve been considering swapping my hst’s for 24’s or 21’s, and thanks for @eng-399 I’ve been able to see that with my size cabs, I only get marginal improvements. So for a little wood, and the cost of a couple drivers, I decided to go with a couple devastator micros. That’s the back story. Here’s the fun part, I’ll be taking and sharing a lot of pics, and maybe a vid or two. @Red Five suggested I run these from 60-90hz ish, though they are designed to run up to 120hz, I will crossover to my mains lower then that. And my hst’s will handle 12-60hz. They take care of that range with authority, so these devastators will amp up the midbass a lot. With 2000 watts, one will hit 135db in the range I will use them for, and I’ll have 2. So if I understand correctly, this should make for a fun time. Driver is the Lavoce WAF154.00 these are heavy. And I put a little power into them and wow. They look sweet with that cone moving.

Thanks also to @hd0823 for the bad influence, and for building his devastators. His are insane with the 21’s. I know mine will be too.

See less See more
#2 ·
2 devastators WOW that is awesome!!!

Game changer

I would hate to take credit for something I said to both Mike and Jeremy and not directly to you but it’s true. Jermey and Mike both said that you wanted to change something in you setup to make it more impactful, I said why doesn’t he just build 2 V3 put them in his furnace room and call it a day. Look now you are doing it but in a smaller but an amazing way.

I look forward to hearing these in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yeah, swapping out drivers in the subs wasn’t exactly what I’m after. Anything I did wouldn’t hang with the hst’s down low in my size cabs. This way I’ll keep that performance, and up the midbass like I want.
I’ve also been tweaking the mains and adding boosts to the midbass. I watched the original Jurassic Park last night with some fresh boosts and dang, the thunder storm and t-Rex scene was excellent.

#6 ·
Adding Devastators...well that didn't take long:p

#15 ·
Following this for sure! I’ve been debating back and forth between the micro and mini but believe I have settled on the mini due to the same tune as the larger version. I’m very interested in how well these integrate between the low end and you mains. A couple of us have has issue with some cancellations playing with the multiple tunes but playing with the slope of the crossover should provide excellent results!

#19 ·
Thanks to the devastator index, I found a design I can actually fit and integrate into my theater system. I’ve been considering swapping my hst’s for 24’s or 21’s, and thanks for @eng-399 I’ve been able to see that with my size cabs, I only get marginal improvements. So for a little wood, and the cost of a couple drivers, I decided to go with a couple devastator micros. That’s the back story. Here’s the fun part, I’ll be taking and sharing a lot of pics, and maybe a vid or two. @Red Five suggested I run these from 60-90hz ish, though they are designed to run up to 120hz, I will crossover to my mains lower then that. And my hst’s will handle 12-60hz. They take care of that range with authority, so these devastators will amp up the midbass a lot. With 2000 watts, one will hit 135db in the range I will use them for, and I’ll have 2. So if I understand correctly, this should make for a fun time. Driver is the Lavoce WAF154.00 these are heavy. And I put a little power into them and wow. They look sweet with that cone moving.

Thanks also to @hd0823 for the bad influence, and for building his devastators. His are insane with the 21’s. I know mine will be too.
Yeah I cant wait to see these done. I'm going to have to come down and here them in the room.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Can’t wait to see this build Jared [emoji41]
Your room is going to be insane! Will these go in the back of the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
The only question mark I would have with a material in front of the mouth of the horn is whether or not you get the TR from the air particle movement. That should be easy enough to test though :)

#37 ·
Xmax, pricing, the WAN I do not believe was on clearance when I designed the box. The WAF Still has a stiffer suspension at .29 total Q, though both would most likely work well. Xmax is close, the WAN has an extra .4mm, which considering the application of the sub is not as relevant, though I did not want to cut xmax too short :)

#40 ·
I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread Jared! I didn't know you were doing this. It's really a great thing you are though because you need more speakers in your room. :D Seriously, be anxious to hear them next time you host a gtg. That frequency range has interested me too with the 1099s and my 6 18s. Might have to follow your lead. Be watching with interest!!

#41 ·
Haha it’s not my lead brother! I’m just getting in the line following as well. I am excited, because I really couldn’t believe what Jeremy’s devastators added to his setup. And he has 4 V3’s! So everything helps. You have so much space, I’d be deaf so quick if I had the space to do. I’d fill every space with a sub. Lol
Also, my last available output from my 10X10 is itching for a job to do. I can’t wait to play with this setup once it’s all built. I might be crossing over to mains higher then I ever though I would. 120..... who knows.

#55 · (Edited)
I would attempt crossing over between the HSTs and the Micro at 60Hz. It should be in the sweet spot for the Micros output and keep excursion down. Roll the HSTs off with a 4th order LPF at 60Hz. For the Micro apply a 2nd order HPF filter at 60Hz. You now have an active crossover network between both sub sets. This should help with integration, you should be dodging phasing issues letting each sub system work in a respective frequency range. I was talking to John about a taped horn and what is essentially the Micro and how to work around the rather narrow frequency range of the TH, since the cutoff is around 60Hz or so. I believe those two filters are commonly used in full range speaker crossovers. He mentioned and it is true getting 130db out of a 15" is not that difficult above 60Hz, but the Micro is designed to take that to different levels :)

#56 ·
Thanks for that info. I’ll do it exactly.
It also gives me the confidence that the micro’s output will be more then the hst’s above 60hz. Otherwise it wouldn’t of made sense to add these.
Another question:
Will I have to add that same filter to my rear subs too? Or just let them go where they are set. Then there’s my nearfield. Seems like a lot of opportunities to have cancelations. We shall see!

#59 ·
Port tune is suppose to come in at 53Hz, but usually they come in a little lower. 60Hz is where the Micro really gets solid footing and just so happened to be where the BMD MAX would start trending downwards.

#66 ·
I got the drivers pulled out today and ran some 20hz tones through them. These are beefy drivers. I pushed excursion rather far free air, and these have a lot of it. I’m sure the things would have been making lots of noise in any kind of cab. I’m getting very excited to build these. Nothing like any other sub I’ve built. My buddy is working on a cutlist and I should have the cut panels by this weekend.

#68 ·
Interesting...you're using mdf instead of sanded ply or birch. And you're getting another fp20k:eek: That sickness is real:p

Reactions: Jk7.2
#85 ·
The dust from the MDF is not bad when sanding, at least with a shop vac attached to the orbital. To the point I'm in the house sanding and not worried about waking up dead lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.