Dual Devastator micro build - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 384Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
imrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shelby Township, MI
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
I can’t wait for you to check these nsw’s out. They are another animal. They barely move, yet they produce very satisfying bass! And I haven’t tweaked them at all yet. I need to crank up the amp and adjust things a little. Then they will be unbelievable. I think at least.


That looks awesome Jared! Gonna be awesome hearing how the system sounds now with them!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcallister likes this.
imrf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jk7.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrf View Post
That looks awesome Jared! Gonna be awesome hearing how the system sounds now with them!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Thanks rich. They were dusty. Then I turned on the sonic cannon Hulk scene, cranked it up, and that took care of it!
imrf likes this.
Jk7.2 is offline  
post #303 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jedi940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 214
We were just there 3 days ago! That was fast. Couldn't you have just slipped them in while we were there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 and Mahuzz13 like this.
Jedi940 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jk7.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
We were just there 3 days ago! That was fast. Couldn't you have just slipped them in while we were there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Lol. I did! You didn’t notice??
Jk7.2 is offline  
post #305 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
imrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shelby Township, MI
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Thanks rich. They were dusty. Then I turned on the sonic cannon Hulk scene, cranked it up, and that took care of it!


Hahaha. I bet. It’ll definitely be fun to hear them once you dial it in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 likes this.
imrf is offline  
post #306 of 316 Old 01-14-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Thanks rich. They were dusty. Then I turned on the sonic cannon Hulk scene, cranked it up, and that took care of it!


Need video!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jedi940 likes this.
Trimlock is offline  
post #307 of 316 Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
BP1Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
That's got to be pure audio bliss!
Jk7.2 likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
BP1Fanatic is offline  
post #308 of 316 Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jedi940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 214
This thread needs an update. How's the integration going?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jedi940 is offline  
post #309 of 316 Old 01-19-2020, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jk7.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi940 View Post
This thread needs an update. How's the integration going?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


You ain’t kidding. I haven’t updated it, because I haven’t had a chance to do anything else. All I’ve done so far is install the drivers. Just struggling to find the time.
Jk7.2 is offline  
post #310 of 316 Old 01-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
luv2fly3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Jared I have to say that every time I am browsing through my subscribed threads in Tapatalk, for this thread, the Pic of your new sound stage comes up and I just always sit with my mouth open at the awesomeness I'm seeing. That is quite the kick butt setup my friend. Can't wait to come hear it sometime, although I know I'll leave feeling my system is again inadequate!
BP1Fanatic likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
luv2fly3 is offline  
post #311 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jk7.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Jared I have to say that every time I am browsing through my subscribed threads in Tapatalk, for this thread, the Pic of your new sound stage comes up and I just always sit with my mouth open at the awesomeness I'm seeing. That is quite the kick butt setup my friend. Can't wait to come hear it sometime, although I know I'll leave feeling my system is again inadequate!


Thanks Lars. I always see rooms like yours, and wish I had a better space to put my system in! But I’m definitely happy with what I have. So far. Lol there’s always room for improvement. Next time you are on my side of the state, hit me up. I always love demoing the setup.
Jk7.2 is offline  
post #312 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mcallister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
How are you liking the NSW-6021’s? How do they compare to you HST’s overall? Would you still have needed the Devastators if you had got the NSW’s first?

I bought 2 of the NSW’s from Ricci also, wish I knew you were in Dayton I’m right off 70/75, coulda had you stop by and take a listen and give any advice!

mcallister is offline  
post #313 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jk7.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
How are you liking the NSW-6021’s? How do they compare to you HST’s overall? Would you still have needed the Devastators if you had got the NSW’s first?



I bought 2 of the NSW’s from Ricci also, wish I knew you were in Dayton I’m right off 70/75, coulda had you stop by and take a listen and give any advice!


I am sad to say that I’ve not had the time lately to tune and tweak my system to really answer this question. I did the swap and ran a couple sweeps with all the same settings in the dsp, and the results were good keeping the nsw’s playing the same frequencies as the hst’s were, with the devastators, and the rear subs plus nearfield. I have watched one movie since the new subs. Jurassic World. The bass was fantastic. When the t-Rex chases that chick in the high heels, the room was being destroyed. Yes I was at reference volume for all the good parts. But soon I will start from scratch and redo the dsp settings. Although all the different drivers are working together well. And I get a very flat line from 12 to 80 hz. Like I said in the last post, always room to improve.
Would I have needed the devastators? No. But also, I wouldn’t need the nsw’s because of the devastators. That to me says a lot. If 2 15” band pass boxes can do what 3K worth of drivers can, why not go with the cheaper option? I mean, already having the hst’s, the midbass difference from them to the nsw’s doesn’t matter as much, because the devastators are so good at that range.
Anyway this is becoming a long post.
This is all without me doing the tweaks. I know I can crank up my amp gains now with the nsw’s, and I have not even done that, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
What did you end up doing with your 2 nsw’s?
Jk7.2 is offline  
post #314 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mcallister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can’t wait to hear impressions once your done calibrating.

I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do. I was going to go with 2 GSG Devastators but may not now.
I’m now waiting for a couple different size 21” flat pack from DIYsoundgroup. Considering I can pick up the flat packs it will save me a lot of cash ha. My wife still doesn’t know I bought the NSW’s.

I’ll be trying to get whatever I end up using to play nicely with 4 Danley DTS-10’s and the MBM’s you sold me. I hope I can make it work.

I have to use some type of flat pack as I just don’t have the tools or skill to build a box from scratch.

mcallister is offline  
post #315 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hd0823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Can’t wait to hear impressions once your done calibrating.



I’m still trying to decide what I’m going to do. I was going to go with 2 GSG Devastators but may not now.

I’m now waiting for a couple different size 21” flat pack from DIYsoundgroup. Considering I can pick up the flat packs it will save me a lot of cash ha. My wife still doesn’t know I bought the NSW’s.



I’ll be trying to get whatever I end up using to play nicely with 4 Danley DTS-10’s and the MBM’s you sold me. I hope I can make it work.



I have to use some type of flat pack as I just don’t have the tools or skill to build a box from scratch.
I vote devastors. The boxs are super cheap to build cost me less than 100 bucks for 2 and I even trimmed them out. You can get all the tools you would need for less than 100 so all in 200. Literally if you can measure and use a drill you can build these. I did all the cuts with a straight edge and skill saw. It's a really simple and straightforward build.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
hd0823 is online now  
post #316 of 316 Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I vote devastors. The boxs are super cheap to build cost me less than 100 bucks for 2 and I even trimmed them out. You can get all the tools you would need for less than 100 so all in 200. Literally if you can measure and use a drill you can build these. I did all the cuts with a straight edge and skill saw. It's a really simple and straightforward build.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk


I do too, one thing I find that helps is having an accurate square.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcallister likes this.
Trimlock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off