Dual Devastator micro build - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #121 of 167 Old 11-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
By tomorrow my friend. I neglected to order speakon connectors for the boxes, and they will be here tomorrow. I wish I had the patience of Mike, so I could take another week and fill screw holes, sand, roundover, prime and paint these. They would look so sweet with the @eng-399 treatment.

WHAAAT? I expected listening impressions by now.

It was quite painful waiting to fire mine up till I had the finish done. I just knew I didn’t want to move them twice.

Chris
Jk7.2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 167 Old 11-29-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
WHAAAT? I expected listening impressions by now.

It was quite painful waiting to fire mine up till I had the finish done. I just knew I didn’t want to move them twice.

Chris

For me, the pain is waiting to fire these up in the theater until I know I have hours to set them up. Meaning, I have to low pass the hst’s, low pass and highpass the devastators, and try to guess what gain and level to set the things at, so I’m nervously awaiting that time.
Mahuzz13 and a77cj7 like this.
post #123 of 167 Old 11-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 814
You could have these both dialled in by the time the speakons arrive so we all expect some impression by tomorrow night at the latest or even tonight if you were Jeremy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

They are done. I need to pull wire for them, and run a wire from the 10x10 to the amp, and start tuning. I hope these are exactly what my system is missing. Or was anyway. This is a temporary placement. If they earn their way into my system for good, they will be moved behind the screen. That’s gonna take some tweaking to my false wall.
kevings, DigiWega, imrf and 7 others like this.
post #125 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They are done. I need to pull wire for them, and run a wire from the 10x10 to the amp, and start tuning. I hope these are exactly what my system is missing. Or was anyway. This is a temporary placement. If they earn their way into my system for good, they will be moved behind the screen. That’s gonna take some tweaking to my false wall.

Even the micro’s don’t look small in-room.

Chris
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #126 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
They look awesome even without the paint!
imrf and Jk7.2 like this.

Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Mini Devastator Build
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #127 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even the micro’s don’t look small in-room.

Chris

These aren’t small! But way smaller then the full size devastators. I do wish I could fit the big ones. This will be fun though, getting everything to play nice.
post #128 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
They look awesome even without the paint!

Thanks! I do plan on a nice duratex finish. Maybe even sprayed. I know they will sound better then they look!
Red Five likes this.
post #129 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! I do plan on a nice duratex finish. Maybe even sprayed. I know they will sound better then they look!

I love duratex, but is it worth the trouble if you’re putting them behind the screen?

Can’t wait to hear your impressions, since you’re the first to build micro’s.

Chris
post #130 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love duratex, but is it worth the trouble if you’re putting them behind the screen?

Can’t wait to hear your impressions, since you’re the first to build micro’s.

Chris

I will take some good measurements too. Short of dragging one of these outside, I’ll take a few close measurements.
post #131 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will take some good measurements too. Short of dragging one of these outside, I’ll take a few close measurements.

Thats what I did. Centered the mic on the board between the port and resonator. Showed a close match to model on my mini’s.

Taking one outside didn’t sound fun.

Chris
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #132 of 167 Old 11-30-2019, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
looks like room for 2 more!
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #133 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I got them hooked up! After an hour of frustration. They work. This is what happened. When I opened the MiniDSP 10x10 software, I clicked one too many times, and actually opened 2 dsp windows, so when I tried to route the sub input to the devastators output, it wouldn’t take. Although every other function worked. Such as muting the other subs, it all reacted in real time. But long story short, I had to close all windows and reopen the dsp. Then all’s well. But I burned a lot of time messing with that. Anyway, these are going to be a lot of fun. I’m somewhat noise restricted this morning, so I couldn’t let them really rip, but I can already tell at -20 volume, they are intense. Much more to come, but that’s my update for now. Any suggestions on the right path to take with eq and integration, feel free. I’m just gonna shoot from the hip with measurements and delays and level adjustments.
post #134 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I knew you couldn’t wait lol congrats I think you will be very happy with the outcome of these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jk7.2 likes this.
post #135 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I got them hooked up! After an hour of frustration. They work. This is what happened. When I opened the MiniDSP 10x10 software, I clicked one too many times, and actually opened 2 dsp windows, so when I tried to route the sub input to the devastators output, it wouldn’t take. Although every other function worked. Such as muting the other subs, it all reacted in real time. But long story short, I had to close all windows and reopen the dsp. Then all’s well. But I burned a lot of time messing with that. Anyway, these are going to be a lot of fun. I’m somewhat noise restricted this morning, so I couldn’t let them really rip, but I can already tell at -20 volume, they are intense. Much more to come, but that’s my update for now. Any suggestions on the right path to take with eq and integration, feel free. I’m just gonna shoot from the hip with measurements and delays and level adjustments.

I’d shut the nearfield down and play with the two way with micro’s and HST’s. See if overlap works, what crossover you like, etc. Then go from there on adding the nearfield back in.

Chris
post #136 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’d shut the nearfield down and play with the two way with micro’s and HST’s. See if overlap works, what crossover you like, etc. Then go from there on adding the nearfield back in.

Chris

Interesting. I also have the rear subs to mess with. I was hoping that I could keep all the work I’ve done so far, and just roll the fronts off at 60, and set delays for the devastators so they are additive. I hope I don’t have to completely redo the delay and eq for the front, rear, and nearfield subs. But I’ll have to measure and see what happens. Out of curiosity, why can’t the hst’s and devastators overlap? Why the highpass/low pass situation? Is it phase related?
post #137 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Dual Devastator micro build

Quote:
Interesting. I also have the rear subs to mess with. I was hoping that I could keep all the work I’ve done so far, and just roll the fronts off at 60, and set delays for the devastators so they are additive. I hope I don’t have to completely redo the delay and eq for the front, rear, and nearfield subs. But I’ll have to measure and see what happens. Out of curiosity, why can’t the hst’s and devastators overlap? Why the highpass/low pass situation? Is it phase related?

I thought @Red Five and I warned you about the potential phasing issues early on. You’re the first one to build them, so its all theoretical for now.

The micro is effectively a ported box with a 53hz tune on the back end. Therefor, its likely to experience cancellation near port tuning with your other woofers.

By throwing a HPF at 60-70hz on the micro’s, you should be able to avoid this issue. Measure and see how low you can run it.

I forgot you had rears. I’d shut those down initially as well. I’d start just trying to integrate the mini’s with the front hst’s, just to eliminate variables. You don’t need to mess with the settings on the HST’s, so it shouldn’t mess with the rest of your system overall.

If you can get the mini’s to play well, just turn the rear and nearfield back on and adjust global eq to taste.

Chris
post #138 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought @Red Five and I warned you about the potential phasing issues early on. You’re the first one to build them, so its all theoretical for now.

The micro is effectively a ported box with a 53hz tune on the back end. Therefor, its likely to experience cancellation near port tuning with your other woofers.

By throwing a HPF at 60-70hz on the micro’s, you should be able to avoid this issue. Measure and see how low you can run it.

I forgot you had rears. I’d shut those down initially as well. I’d start just trying to integrate the mini’s with the front hst’s, just to eliminate variables. You don’t need to mess with the settings on the HST’s, so it shouldn’t mess with the rest of your system overall.

If you can get the mini’s to play well, just turn the rear and nearfield back on and adjust global eq to taste.

Chris

Yes, you let me know. I’m just asking to try and understand why. That’s all.

Ok, thanks for the advise. As soon as I can get some time to really play with this, I will do exactly what you suggested.
post #139 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, you let me know. I’m just asking to try and understand why. That’s all.

Ok, thanks for the advise. As soon as I can get some time to really play with this, I will do exactly what you suggested.

No worries dude, was just hoping we did without looking back through old posts. I feel bad if I saw a potential issue early on but didn’t warn you.

Can’t wait to hear your results. Hopefully the mini’s will make a killer system even better.

I forgot to mention, you will want to watch for cancellation when you add the rear and nearfield back in. Especially if you’re throwing a LPF on the HST’s, effectively making the front setup a two way system.

Chris
post #140 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No worries dude, was just hoping we did without looking back through old posts. I feel bad if I saw a potential issue early on but didn’t warn you.

Can’t wait to hear your results. Hopefully the mini’s will make a killer system even better.

I forgot to mention, you will want to watch for cancellation when you add the rear and nearfield back in. Especially if you’re throwing a LPF on the HST’s, effectively making the front setup a two way system.

Chris

Will do. I’ll take the standard sweep with each addition of sub groups again, just to be safe. Thanks for the help.
post #141 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The main thing to watch for is cancellation. The ports on the Micros will be 180 degress out of phase with the HSTs somewhere in the HSTs passband. Add one thing in at a time, make sure each piece is adding a positive summation.

You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #142 of 167 Old 12-01-2019, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The main thing to watch for is cancellation. The ports on the Micros will be 180 degress out of phase with the HSTs somewhere in the HSTs passband. Add one thing in at a time, make sure each piece is adding a positive summation.

Ok that all lines up with what I was thinking. Thanks.
post #143 of 167 Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Welp, I’m happy. I have the devastators hooked up, as you know, and all I’ve done so far is set amp gain close to what it is for the hst’s, and turned it up to reference! I have master and commander cannon scene under my belt. I under estimated what these subs would add to my system. The impact was incredible. I have a lot of work to do with eq, but so far I can say these are awesome. I know the particle accelerator measurement was a thing or what it’s called I don’t remember, but I could feel it. Standing 4’ in front of one of these, I felt things I never had before through my work boots. Lol and I haven’t even high passed them, I don’t know how the driver survives with that much power and no high pass. Sturdy little things. Those Lavoce 15’s moved a max of about 1/2” judging by what my finger felt through the port, but the output was insane. That’s all for now. My boy took over the theater for games. Lol
kevings, imrf, SuperFist and 3 others like this.
post #144 of 167 Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Welp, I’m happy. I have the devastators hooked up, as you know, and all I’ve done so far is set amp gain close to what it is for the hst’s, and turned it up to reference! I have master and commander cannon scene under my belt. I under estimated what these subs would add to my system. The impact was incredible. I have a lot of work to do with eq, but so far I can say these are awesome. I know the particle accelerator measurement was a thing or what it’s called I don’t remember, but I could feel it. Standing 4’ in front of one of these, I felt things I never had before through my work boots. Lol and I haven’t even high passed them, I don’t know how the driver survives with that much power and no high pass. Sturdy little things. Those Lavoce 15’s moved a max of about 1/2” judging by what my finger felt through the port, but the output was insane. That’s all for now. My boy took over the theater for games. Lol
I'll check back with you on these after you've come down a bit...
femi likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #145 of 167 Old 12-04-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I'll check back with you on these after you've come down a bit...

Yeah, I know. Everyone is excited about new stuff. I was just explaining it to Jeremy. These are the real deal. The devastators in his room did way more then I thought they would. And mine did too. They are impressive. I almost wanted to cover my ears a couple times. They will be less raw spl once EQ’d, but I can’t wait to measure these and post some graphs. I’m positive the graphs will show what I’m experiencing.
post #146 of 167 Old 12-05-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are motivating me to keep refining the full range version of this box This is where I am at with it right now, 1200 watts 19Hz 3rd order HPF. It is up 1.5 cuft to support the lower tune or 9 cuft external volume. The 20Hz mark is getting pretty close to a Mini running a strong 18".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Dev Full range v3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2649884  
Jk7.2 likes this.

post #147 of 167 Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are motivating me to keep refining the full range version of this box This is where I am at with it right now, 1200 watts 19Hz 3rd order HPF. It is up 1.5 cuft to support the lower tune or 9 cuft external volume. The 20Hz mark is getting pretty close to a Mini running a strong 18".

What driver is modeled there? I could fit 4 of these where my hst’s currently are.
post #148 of 167 Old 12-05-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What driver is modeled there? I could fit 4 of these where my hst’s currently are.

It is still the WAF 154.00. That is pushing 18mm of excursion, I think I calculated 2/3 gap at 18.3mm on that sub (18.4mm, just checked the spec sheet). That sub is a little beast!

Edit: I would probably suggest a 1000 watts for a power target. The port starts compressing from the looks of the sim with 1200 watts. You lose about .9db dropping 200 watts and excursion is down to 16mm. 1200 watts would be a peak output target.

Last edited by Red Five; 12-05-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #149 of 167 Old 12-05-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is still the WAF 154.00. That is pushing 18mm of excursion, I think I calculated 2/3 gap at 18.3mm on that sub (18.4mm, just checked the spec sheet). That sub is a little beast!

Edit: I would probably suggest a 1000 watts for a power target. The port starts compressing from the looks of the sim with 1200 watts. You lose about .9db dropping 200 watts and excursion is down to 16mm. 1200 watts would be a peak output target.

It is! I’m suprised how hard I can push it. Even free air, I had them going pretty good and never got into scary excursion, no highpass. They are loud in these cabs for sure. Stay tuned for eq measurements.....
Mahuzz13 and Red Five like this.
post #150 of 167 Old 12-06-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I added a 50hz highpass. Cranked it a bit and it’s insane. These 2 little 15’s have completely changed my system. I am tapping out now on scenes I’d never have before. For example- flight of the Phoenix barrel roll scene is crazy nuts now. I know I seem like an excited kid with a new toy, so I’ll have to let one of the local boys come by and give their thoughts. I still haven’t done any measurements, just waiting for time. But I’m so happy. Never has such a simple addition made this kind of impact.
kevings, mcallister, femi and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page