Thoughts on modding an 88 Special into a low-profile Center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Erich H
  • 1 Post By tbsmitty67
  • 1 Post By chadsmith013

post #1 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thoughts on modding an 88 Special into a low-profile Center

The current crop of DIYSG centers isn't workable for me, due to height restrictions I'm not willing to compromise.

Size-and-output-wise, the 88 Special is the best candidate for mains- but there's no way to incorporate that form factor as a voice-matched center.

So my question is: the SEOS-15 is listed as 7.9" tall, and the woofers from the 88 Special are eight-inchers... "what if" one was to buy a third 88 Special kit, and build the center in this configuration (height is the sole limitation within reason, depth and width much less so):

Would stretching the drivers out laterally result in limited horizontal dispersion (actually not a big factor in this room either)?

If so, would angling the woofers à la this concept:

...help to mitigate dispersion or combing?

TY for any 2¢ ~

There is no Honor in Mediocrity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm certain that the crossover will need work... I have a spare MiniDSP2x4 I can readily explore options with, so that's not spooky either.

post #3 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Why would the crossover need reworked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 224
One other thing to specify will be how much horizontal coverage you are expecting. Within a certain range of angles, it might be ok, but I'm not qualified to determine the acceptable range based on driver spacing.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Why would the crossover need reworked?

Seems reasonable to expect some changes in response, given that the center-to-center distance on the woofers will now be ~25" rather than ~9.5".

Actually I just added the comment to preempt the inevitable "well, but you'd have to change the crossover" reply that someone would throw in.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 308 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 2722
Center to center spacing between the two 8" woofers would require a very low crossover point to make the speaker work properly. The better chance to make that work would be to use the same waveguide that was used in the old Fusion-8 center channel to bring the woofers closer together. Due to the low crossover point on the 88-Special there might not be any change needed with that particular modification.

Having said that, I know there aren't any smaller center channels on the site but hopefully that will get addressed in the next few months. My goal is to put most of the home theater kits out of stock in December and spend time making prototypes for some of the speaker designers to work on. There are two SEOS waveguides made up for center channel use, I just haven't had time to draw up any new designs for a while.

At the very least there should be a HT-66 and HT-88 center made up. They might be called HT-62 and HT-82, not sure. Also considering a HT-64.
ejh2854 likes this.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
And hopefully the 893 comes back as talked about...
JohnDean likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Erich- I was hoping to see the Fusion-8 Tower make a comeback, but hope is fading and I'm pondering my Plan B/Plan C options.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 2393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Center to center spacing between the two 8" woofers would require a very low crossover point to make the speaker work properly. The better chance to make that work would be to use the same waveguide that was used in the old Fusion-8 center channel to bring the woofers closer together. Due to the low crossover point on the 88-Special there might not be any change needed with that particular modification.

Having said that, I know there aren't any smaller center channels on the site but hopefully that will get addressed in the next few months. My goal is to put most of the home theater kits out of stock in December and spend time making prototypes for some of the speaker designers to work on. There are two SEOS waveguides made up for center channel use, I just haven't had time to draw up any new designs for a while.

At the very least there should be a HT-66 and HT-88 center made up. They might be called HT-62 and HT-82, not sure. Also considering a HT-64.
thanks for all the work you do Erich..you provide an invaluable service to us all.
ejh2854 likes this.

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual LaVoce SAN214.50 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000 DSP Channel A
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP Channel B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page