Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Compact 15" sub HDF or MDF?

Hi,
i am in the process of drawing up CAD drawings of a somewhat compact 15" subwoofer (2,7 cubic feet internal).
This drawing will be CNCed at a community creator space workshop and i have the possibility to choose what material to make the subwoofer out of.
I had already decided on 19mm MDF but then a friend of mine (that helped with the drawing) mentioned HDF. Around here that particular HDF product is called Valchromat.

Do anyone have any experience using this?
How is it to work with and does it actually contribute to the sound quality of the subwoofer?

My 2.1: Minidsp2x4 HD,Hypex UCD400HxR,SI HT-18,HTM-10
HTM 10 build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 815
I haven't used Valchromat, but the writeup I found indicates it's very similar to MDF.

As long as the box is properly built/braced there should be no audible differences between one made of Valchromat or MDF (or decent plywood).

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Unless you are moving this thing around a lot, I do not see a large benefit to the HDF vs the MDF. Material characteristics look mostly the same on paper.

Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Mini Devastator Build
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 378
HDF is primarily used for template making as it will hold its edge better than standard MDF. It is heavy and is more expensive. IMO there isn’t a solid reason to go seeking it over the lighter stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll argue for the HDF product. Erich from the DISYG supplies the HDF type product for it's superior edge qualities (among other reasons I am sure) for front baffles and other flat packs. When I built my Cinema-10 speakers I also asked a buddy and cabinet maker if he could order something higher quality than typical MDF. He located a Super Refined MDF product at ~$60 a 4x8 sheet which I felt was a steal with how clean his machines cut the edge and how easy it was to assemble. I realize wood glue is forgiving and either product will soak up the wood glue just as well. Having seen/used MDF boxes for years when making car subwoofer cabinets, I'd rather use the higher quality product where cost justifies.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
I’ll ask how will you finish the cab? If veneer, use the product with the better edge. I’ve veneered standard mdf and the flat packs supplied by Erich at diysg, and whatever Erich is using is far better as the edges don’t suck up 5 coats of contact cement. It makes for a smoother finishing project. I’d imagine if painting, it would be similar, as the edge will need less attention overall.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-09-2019, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I was planning on finishing them similiar to my HTM-10 build. With a watered down oil sealing primer and watered down oil paint meant for interior painting.
I am not sure about how good the quality of the MDF I can get is, but I think it is one notch above the most standard type at least. They have a woodshop inside the creator space that gets its material directly from the supplier.

Thanks for all help so far!

My 2.1: Minidsp2x4 HD,Hypex UCD400HxR,SI HT-18,HTM-10
HTM 10 build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page