DIY Subwoofer Noob amplifier question. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
DIY Subwoofer Noob amplifier question.

Hey all. This forum has been a great resource for me as I have started to get into DIY speakers. Now that I have my new LCRs and Atmos speakers figured out, I'm thinking about looking into making a subwoofer or two. I'm not a huge bass junkie and I think the two Klipsch R-120SWs I have are fine, but I'm looking into replacing them soon. After looking at a million subwoofer threads in here it seems that most of you build them passive and use a component amp to drive them. So if I was looking to do something simple with a driver like the Dayton 15" Ultimax and their box kit, what would be the best value amplifier to use? No one uses plate amps like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Hey all. This forum has been a great resource for me as I have started to get into DIY speakers. Now that I have my new LCRs and Atmos speakers figured out, I'm thinking about looking into making a subwoofer or two. I'm not a huge bass junkie and I think the two Klipsch R-120SWs I have are fine, but I'm looking into replacing them soon. After looking at a million subwoofer threads in here it seems that most of you build them passive and use a component amp to drive them. So if I was looking to do something simple with a driver like the Dayton 15" Ultimax and their box kit, what would be the best value amplifier to use? No one uses plate amps like this?
Hello HurricaneDitka,

I'm sure many others will chime in. I'd suggest the Behringer NX3000DSP or better yet, the NX6000DSP (will let you run more subs) for the amp. I built two of the Parts Express 18" flat packs years ago and really like them. They are very easy to build. I'd suggest you consider the bigger 18" version, and if your wallet can afford it, get a pair of them.
If you're comfortable with woodworking, you might consider building the VBSS's instead (the drivers are cheaper and they take less wattage to run).

Good luck!

Dave
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks so much. I have seen those amps mentioned. I will take a look.

I just looked at all the threads with VBSS in the title and now I'm even more confused. Is that a model of a driver? It more seems to be a type of sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Thanks so much. I have seen those amps mentioned. I will take a look.

I just looked at all the threads with VBSS in the title and now I'm even more confused. Is that a model of a driver? It more seems to be a type of sub?
The best way to learn about the VBSS is to read the very first thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

I love them - I have 10 of them in my garage. They are simple to build, cheap, and make lots of sound.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Number of questions arise:

Budget?
What are your room dimensions? Sealed off or open to others? (if the latter, include those dimensions as well)
Usage? (%Music/%Movies or TV/%Other)

For a reasonably small room, or for primarily music, a couple of the UM15s in the sealed flatpacks would be just fine with an NX3000DSP. I use the same to drive 1) a pair of UM18 sealed and 1 VBSS and 2) a pair of ported UM12s in another room.

I prefer the 3k over the 6k as the the 3k is 2 ohm stable, it gives me more flexibility. Having said that I don't require the huge SPL many (most?) here are after, so YMMV.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page