AVS Forum banner

Well, I now understand why the SI24 sale is local pickup / delivery

8K views 123 replies 20 participants last post by  iron_monkey 
#1 ·
I received my Stereo Integrity HST-18’s today. Seeing the size of the boxes, and then having to carry them across the driveway in the snow and into my shop, I can understand why they are avoiding shipping the 24’s.

These are the deepest, heaviest woofers I’ve ever handled.

Pointless thread, but I felt like sharing my amusement.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#88 ·
Yeah, LR is two cascaded at the same center. I’m trying to use a shallow to control cone excursion, then a steeper at lower frequency to shape phase.

Minidsp has a spreadsheet, but i still have to figure out the math for higher orders and/or cascading.

If there’s a spreadsheet that builds the full set of 8 biquads, I’d love to see it.

Thanks,
Chris

#89 ·
Well, got the mini dev model added. Phasing looks much like a ported box. And just throwing a 80hz 2nd order LPF on the ported seems to match it pretty well with the mini dev.

I have no idea how the submax and the devastator supposedly play nicely though. The phasing is not remotely similar.

I guess I will just have to build it and measure, then go from there.

Chris

#91 · (Edited)
Well, I’ve been slacking on these builds other than picking up an additional 4 sheets of MDF. Hoping to get both builds knocked out over the holiday.

The NSW’s showed up today though , so here’s the obligatory comparison shots.
HST-18 mkIII vs NSW6021-6

Very different design styles, but both are quite ridiculous.

Chris

#102 ·
I'm actually trying to decide between these two drivers (or the B&C IPAL 21). For simplicity and size I'd start with a sealed cabinet 4-5 cubic feet.

Assuming my WinISD modeling is accurate, both drivers appear to have about the same output (within a few db) at 20hz with the nod going to the HST. Above 35hz, the pro drivers start to have an advantage. This is given a 2000w input.

So what would make the HST better than the NSW/IPAL or vice versa?

#92 ·
Projects are stacking up:

Ported flatpack sitting on submax side panels.
I was hoping to get the ported boxes assembled before Christmas, but I overestimated my speed and ambition. Looks like the submax’ will stretch into next year.
18’s in 2019, 21’s in 2020. :D

Chris

#95 ·
Just wondering how do you install such heavy drivers into your cabinets? Some sort of attachment to a hydraulic lift?

Thinking of buying a chinese 24" incher as an experiment.

Large zip ties through 2 of the screw holes and lower the woofer into place. It is hard on the hands, but not too challenging.

I’ve never tried to install one with box upright, would be a fight. I believe @Jk7.2 said that he installed his HST’s this way, maybe he can chime in.

Chris

#104 ·
Thanks Chris!

I use my setup for both theater and music use, but I always tend to put priority on the music performance. With theater, there is so much going on visually that I'm less critical of the audio in comparison.

Whatever I build I'm going to start with two subs and perhaps expand to 4 for smoother response (not necessarily for more output).

Cheers,

Scott

#109 ·
I hope to have them running tonight, will post a build thread tomorrow.

These boxes have lots of compromises based on available space and footprint. Built them with multiple tune options due to integration concerns with horns.
20x36x36.75. 5x5.67 ports. Triple baffle.
Bracing:

All ports open, 20hz tune. 9.3cf , 2500w, under 20m/s port velocity

2 ports open, 16hz tune. 2500w, 30m/s port velocity.

1 port open, 11hz tune. 1000w, 30m/s port velocity.

All ports plugged, sealed box 11cu. 2000w due to xmax.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.