• 1 Post By lemonslush
  • 1 Post By lemonslush

post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DIYSG Cobalt Reviews

Does anyone have any listening impressions of the Cobalts? I’ve only come across glowing reviews for the Cobalts, but nothing that compares them to any other speakers or really describes the sound.

I’m considering building the Cobalts as LCR for an about 70/30 split between movies/TV and music. They’ll be an upgrade from a pair of JBL lsr305s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 109
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...uild-done.html

I built (what I think) is one of the first pair on here. I love them. Would 100% do it again.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by djax31 View Post
Does anyone have any listening impressions of the Cobalts? I’ve only come across glowing reviews for the Cobalts, but nothing that compares them to any other speakers or really describes the sound.

I’m considering building the Cobalts as LCR for an about 70/30 split between movies/TV and music. They’ll be an upgrade from a pair of JBL lsr305s.
The cobalts are an upgrade to the lsr305 in what way? They could possibly have more output than the 305's but as for overall sq and off axis response they wont get close to the 305s. Those 305 are a gem and sound better than any DIY speaker I have ever heard and many others including some cinema qsc, several jtr speakers, seatons, salks and all tests were blind listening A- B type testing. even the group of guys doing the test with me overall picked the 305s over everything we listened to. Level matched they had more perceived low end over those dual 15" JTR speakers. They play decently loud and if you do a 308 its a few more DB out of them.
As someone who has what I would consider a very loud HT system listening to extreme levels is not realistic and assuming you sit 12' or closer that 305s should be plenty loud for average to above average SPL listening.

IMO do a system with ALL Jbl LSR speakres 308 LCR and surrounds then 306 for rear surrounds and 305 for atmos. Spend your money on more subs as its the easiest thing to quantify.

As for how the cobalts sound I have no idea. Never seen any measurements of them. For what its worth I run 1099s and the 305s sound better. Not as loud but better off axis all day.

Not saying the Cobalts are no good I bet they are fantastic. Just going off what I know and have tested. GLWYP
jcr159 likes this.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
The cobalts are an upgrade to the lsr305 in what way? They could possibly have more output than the 305's but as for overall sq and off axis response they wont get close to the 305s. Those 305 are a gem and sound better than any DIY speaker I have ever heard and many others including some cinema qsc, several jtr speakers, seatons, salks and all tests were blind listening A- B type testing. even the group of guys doing the test with me overall picked the 305s over everything we listened to. Level matched they had more perceived low end over those dual 15" JTR speakers. They play decently loud and if you do a 308 its a few more DB out of them.
As someone who has what I would consider a very loud HT system listening to extreme levels is not realistic and assuming you sit 12' or closer that 305s should be plenty loud for average to above average SPL listening.

IMO do a system with ALL Jbl LSR speakres 308 LCR and surrounds then 306 for rear surrounds and 305 for atmos. Spend your money on more subs as its the easiest thing to quantify.

As for how the cobalts sound I have no idea. Never seen any measurements of them. For what its worth I run 1099s and the 305s sound better. Not as loud but better off axis all day.

Not saying the Cobalts are no good I bet they are fantastic. Just going off what I know and have tested. GLWYP
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for.

Was thinking about an upgrade in the sense that the WAF with active speakers isn’t great. The JBLs do get loud enough, and if even speakers using the SEOS horn are at best a lateral move beyond volume, maybe I’ll take another stab at cable management and adding a third 305 for a center.

I did look at doing a 308 for a center at one point, and the consensus seemed to be that the 305 and 306 are better, as the 308 woofer has a tendency towards beaming.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, that’️s exactly what I was looking for.

Was thinking about an upgrade in the sense that the WAF with active speakers isn’️t great. The JBLs do get loud enough, and if even speakers using the SEOS horn are at best a lateral move beyond volume, maybe I’️ll take another stab at cable management and adding a third 305 for a center.

I did look at doing a 308 for a center at one point, and the consensus seemed to be that the 305 and 306 are better, as the 308 woofer has a tendency towards beaming.
they are on sale today at amazon the mlk1 version. That’s what I have because I didn’t like the gloss finish. Get a bunch I have a 305 setup in my bedroom and it’s fantastic. Even the matching subs on sale at the moment. I assume it’s decent . For the money I would check it out or spend a little more and go rsl speed woofer.
The 305 do get decently loud we hit the remote by accident the other day and made the speakers go all the way up. Loud enough for us to not be comfortable at that volume and started us all.
jcr159 likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I considered the JBL also, but all powered and small amount of available power- even a taxed avr can do better.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Quote:

I considered the JBL also, but all powered and small amount of available power- even a taxed avr can do better.
Not sure I follow you here. Each 305 had about 90 rms per speaker I don’t know if an avr that can pump out 90 rms x 11. Going powered you gain my advantages. aside from a dsp controlled and eq response. You have no crossover in place using more power. You have no loss of signal over a long speaker run and active speakers are more dynamic then a similarly built passive speaker. Aside from it being an issue with power wall plugs and needing an AV with rca outs I see very few short comings.

post #8 of 12 Old 11-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Not sure I follow you here. Each 305 had about 90 rms per speaker I don’t know if an avr that can pump out 90 rms x 11. Going powered you gain my advantages. aside from a dsp controlled and eq response. You have no crossover in place using more power. You have no loss of signal over a long speaker run and active speakers are more dynamic then a similarly built passive speaker. Aside from it being an issue with power wall plugs and needing an AV with rca outs I see very few short comings.

Class-D 41 Watt RMS Amplifier for LF, and 41 Watt RMS Amplifier for HF. - not saying they are bad Im considering the Kali LP-6, but again limited power and so many plugs haha
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
WAF with active speakers isn’t great.
In what regard?

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
In what regard?
Mostly for having to run both power and signal cables, rather than relatively easily being able to hide speaker cables.

In end, since the room they'll be in is being renovated, I'm sticking with the JBLs and having conduit run to put the signal cables in the wall. And I went ahead and got a third JBL for a center since Amazon has them on sale currently.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Mostly for having to run both power and signal cables, rather than relatively easily being able to hide speaker cables.
Put the two together and wrap some techflex around them and voila, the appearance of one cable.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #12 of 12 Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
they are on sale today at amazon the mlk1 version. That’s what I have because I didn’t like the gloss finish. Get a bunch I have a 305 setup in my bedroom and it’s fantastic. Even the matching subs on sale at the moment. I assume it’s decent . For the money I would check it out or spend a little more and go rsl speed woofer.
The 305 do get decently loud we hit the remote by accident the other day and made the speakers go all the way up. Loud enough for us to not be comfortable at that volume and started us all.
have the same setup in a bedroom... actually works great since my TV has a volume controlled 3.5mm output that I run directly to the speakers... No receiver and sounds great all things considered... blows away any similarly priced sound bar.

I have no sub, but really, in a bedroom I don't care cause I'll wake everyone up if I had the sub anyway though everyone's use case is different...

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page