post #1 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
The Official ratm Q&A Thread

@ratm

This is YOUR thread. YOU are master here. Ask your questions, WE will help you.
corradizo likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved

ratm's partial equipment list:

Denon X3300
DIYSG Cobalt LCR pushed by a XPA3
Old Jamo rears run off the Denon wirelessly via Rocketfish
AppleTv 4k
(will be) Dual 6 cubic foot 18 inch sealed subs

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-24-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #3 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 108
BOOM!!!!

First a belt promotion in jiu jitsu and now this. Hashtag my life is complete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 541
ratm and jujuman200 like this.
post #5 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
BOOM!!!!

First Q (to you), what belt did you get?
post #6 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Quote:
BOOM!!!!

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
First Q (to you), what belt did you get?
Purple. 6 1/2 years to get it. And I’m 49.
SpinMonster likes this.
post #7 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig s king View Post
BombTrack!!!

Wish List: 1- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.
Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #8 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 4334
Quote:
I know the feeling.
It took me 8 years to get my level 1 Karate Black belt; and that was training 5 days a week, for 3 hours each day.

Eventually you figure out that it is NOT about any particular style or the color of the belt system, but rather:

what you know (learned), and how hard you have trained, and how serious you took the lessons
to your mind/body/soul.

I dropped out after achieving my black, to focus on university, and then working/money/bills. Then I picked up audio as a hobby and never got back into it.

Anyone who dedicated that many years to it, in any serious capacity at-all, is classified as a human weapon IMO (and in the opinion of anyone who isn't a complete fool.)

I find 99% of all the videos on youtube laughable, all pooping on various styles etc. I can tell from watching them that a LOT of them are actually just white belts. They got their belts from Steven Seagal.

Boards no hit back.
post #9 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2205
Rex Kwon Do

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #10 of 59 Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Congrats!! No easy task getting to purple. BJJ is another obsessive level hobby like home theater. Certainly glad these two things have my extracurricular activity attention!!
post #11 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I know the feeling.
It took me 8 years to get my level 1 Karate Black belt; and that was training 5 days a week, for 3 hours each day.

Eventually you figure out that it is NOT about any particular style or the color of the belt system, but rather:

what you know (learned), and how hard you have trained, and how serious you took the lessons
to your mind/body/soul.

I dropped out after achieving my black, to focus on university, and then working/money/bills. Then I picked up audio as a hobby and never got back into it.

Anyone who dedicated that many years to it, in any serious capacity at-all, is classified as a human weapon IMO (and in the opinion of anyone who isn't a complete fool.)

I find 99% of all the videos on youtube laughable, all pooping on various styles etc. I can tell from watching them that a LOT of them are actually just white belts. They got their belts from Steven Seagal.

Boards no hit back.

Totally agree. Anyone who is that committed no matter what the martial art gets total respect from me. But you're right, it's all about what you learn. This isn't the olympics for me, so I have no problem tapping. I find that learning from my mistakes is more beneficial than learning something new.
post #12 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Rex Kwon Do

Grab my arm. The other arm. MY other arm.
post #13 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Congrats!! No easy task getting to purple. BJJ is another obsessive level hobby like home theater. Certainly glad these two things have my extracurricular activity attention!!

Thanks man! You are def correct about being obsessive (especially with both).
post #14 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...dsp-oh-my.html

@smcmillan2 - based on your post in the thread above, are you saying set the DSP, then run REW and then Audyssey?
post #15 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...dsp-oh-my.html

@smcmillan2 - based on your post in the thread above, are you saying set the DSP, then run REW and then Audyssey?
@ratm , now that you have your own thread why don’t you lay out all the details of your equipment and your room and what you’re trying to accomplish so we can offer some appropriate direction.

Dsp, rew, and audyssey are very different and “running” rew is generally diagnostic, you then take action based on the data it provides. My ROUGH order would be to flatten your sub response then run audyssey

1. Set appropriate hpf and peak voltage limit if required (again, I know nothing about your set up)
2. Use REW to determine best sub locations and mlp (most important step)
3. Use REW to gain match, integrate, and time align your well-positioned subs (or have audyssey do it, don’t know how many subs you have and what your goals are)
4. Use REW to generate an EQ solution and apply it in your DSP
5. Run Audyssey (and check integration with sub distance tweak)

Each of these steps has its own dedicated threads and step-by-step guides, AVS is like a library, you just have to read the right book. For example, on time alignment AustinJerry has a great printed walk through and there are several excellent threads providing step-by-step instructions.

I think the BJJ / home theater correlation is real, must be the obsessive personality thing. I train at ATT in broward, where are you training?

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #16 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
@ratm , now that you have your own thread why don’t you lay out all the details of your equipment and your room and what you’re trying to accomplish so we can offer some appropriate direction.
My equipment is as follows:
Denon X3300
DIYSG Cobalt LCR pushed by a XPA3
Old Jamo rears run off the Denon wirelessly via Rocketfish
AppleTv 4k
(will be) Dual 6 cubic foot 18 inch sealed subs

Dsp, rew, and audyssey are very different and “running” rew is generally diagnostic, you then take action based on the data it provides. My ROUGH order would be to flatten your sub response then run audyssey

1. Set appropriate hpf and peak voltage limit if required (again, I know nothing about your set up) see above
2. Use REW to determine best sub locations and mlp (most important step) not sure if they are the best, but the ONLY place they will be going will be on the inside of my L and R approx 10 feet from MLP
3. Use REW to gain match, integrate, and time align your well-positioned subs (or have audyssey do it, don’t know how many subs you have and what your goals are)
4. Use REW to generate an EQ solution and apply it in your DSP
5. Run Audyssey (and check integration with sub distance tweak)

Each of these steps has its own dedicated threads and step-by-step guides, AVS is like a library, you just have to read the right book. For example, on time alignment AustinJerry has a great printed walk through and there are several excellent threads providing step-by-step instructions.

I think the BJJ / home theater correlation is real, must be the obsessive personality thing. I train at ATT in broward, where are you training? ATT in Wellington. With Shark

Thanks man. My answers are in bold
post #17 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Equipment list copied to second post.

post #18 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am running a DIY Soundgroup Cobalt LCR set up. I am powering them with a Denon X3300/XPA 3 combo. The center channel is amazing. Super dynamic, crystal clear, and never gets harsh sounding. When I set the Denon to Pure (which I think is just straight 2 channel), and listened to some music. When I did, the L and R sounded extremely dull and almost zero dynamics compared to the Center. During movies or anything else 5.1, the L and R are fine. AFAIK, I set them up correctly, following the directions from DIY exactly.

Is it something with my settings? I have all speakers set to small, the crossovers at 80. Could it be simply because the center is a MTM configuration with dual 8 inch woofers? Truth be told, I almost never listen to two channel music. It was just something I wanted to try out.
Second from the the bottom of the remote are four buttons called Quick Select buttons. Use one to set up your two channel source.

Then at the very bottom of the remote are four more buttons called Sound Mode Buttons. Use one (the Music button?) to select Stereo Mode, and then to save that setting, Press and Hold the appropriate Quick Select button that you had set up in the previous step. You can then compare that to your 5.1 setting to see if the problem is in the processing or not.

This is all explained further in the User Manual. I'd advise reading it for detailed info on this and other issues you may have. http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3300W/EU/EN/index.php

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-24-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #19 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 214
@ratm, just a few more details please. What type of room and how big is it? (length x width x height gives you cubic feet). Is it sealed or open to other areas? Is your use mostly movies, music, or both. How are you powering your subs? The type of amp will determine many of your next steps.

So, assuming an nx6000d (d is the model with dsp onboard) you’ll have to connect your receiver to your amp. Your receiver has rca outs and inuke has xlr ins. Cheapest way is a rca to xlr cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777. Next, you have two ways to connect two subs: first, use a single sub out to the channel A input in your inuke and Select “bi-amp 1” mode. This splits your single input and sends it the two output channels. Second, use both sub outs and two cables and choose “stereo” mode. This allows each sub-out to go to its own discrete channel. I’ve done both ways and prefer using one sub out, but you’ll need to time align your subs in the inuke dsp. Here’s a great video walkthrough by one of our members:

Congrats on purple belt, shark’s gym is very well regarded, if you got it from him you earned it! I train mostly at creek and occasionally at Deerfield, but am sidelined atm with a shoulder - can’t wait to get back!

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #20 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 4334
Even though I haven't done karate in decades, here is a demonstration of one my kicks. Just for the giggles.
*Disclaimer: Don't try at home, or anywhere. Don't kick reinforced cement like this (heck, don't kick anything/anyone for that matter... you'll hurt someone else or yourself. This is for Demonstration purposes only.)

Basically: How to end a man's career in <1 second. hehe!

Your traditional Karate forward sack-kick. Simple, yet effective!

Let's face it, your aggressor is almost-guaranteed to be a dude, and chances are, even if he can bench press an elephant, he didn't condition his sack (or eyes).

If you are closer, or pinned to the ground. Just use your hands to hit and/or crush the same area.
No need to "other arm, other arm, other arm" the guy with a million-move technique that will fail every time. hehe!

Of course, such moves are barred from the MMA and Olympics (and any other sport-ized style.)
Karate doesn't sport-ize very well because it's not meant for gaining points, it's transitionally meant for self-defense.
The goal being: to make the guy stop, or become hospitalized as fast/direct/simple as possible.
To focus all your power/speed/strength, making every kick or punch count as if your life depends on it, because it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	karate kick.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	2645202  
post #21 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Second from the the bottom of the remote are four buttons called Quick Select buttons. Use one to set up your two channel source.

Then at the very bottom of the remote are four more buttons called Sound Mode Buttons. Use one (the Music button?) to select Stereo Mode, and then to save that setting, Press and Hold the appropriate Quick Select button that you had set up in the previous step. You can then compare that to your 5.1 setting to see if the problem is in the processing or not.

This is all explained further in the User Manual. I'd advise reading it for detailed info on this and other issues you may have. http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3300W/EU/EN/index.php

That was taken care of. As soon as I put it in stereo mode, they sounded just fine.
post #22 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
@ratm, just a few more details please. What type of room and how big is it? (length x width x height gives you cubic feet). Is it sealed or open to other areas? Is your use mostly movies, music, or both. How are you powering your subs? The type of amp will determine many of your next steps.

So, assuming an nx6000d (d is the model with dsp onboard) you’ll have to connect your receiver to your amp. Your receiver has rca outs and inuke has xlr ins. Cheapest way is a rca to xlr cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777. Next, you have two ways to connect two subs: first, use a single sub out to the channel A input in your inuke and Select “bi-amp 1” mode. This splits your single input and sends it the two output channels. Second, use both sub outs and two cables and choose “stereo” mode. This allows each sub-out to go to its own discrete channel. I’ve done both ways and prefer using one sub out, but you’ll need to time align your subs in the inuke dsp. Here’s a great video walkthrough by one of our members:

https://youtu.be/_A6gPCczhuU

Congrats on purple belt, shark’s gym is very well regarded, if you got it from him you earned it! I train mostly at creek and occasionally at Deerfield, but am sidelined atm with a shoulder - can’t wait to get back!
That video is legit! I learned a ton by watching that! And how to gain match my subs. So informative, thank you!

My room is 25 deep by 15(ish) wide that is open to other areas. I face the wide wall, and my MLP is about 10 feet from the wall so about 9 1/2 feet from the speakers. Its a cathedral ceiling that slopes towards me. My HT is set up for 95% movies and tv and 5% everything else. I indeed have the NX6000D and I have all the cables (RCA to XLR, XLR to Sub/Neutrik, etc.) that I need and how to run them. Sub out 1/2 > Input A and B > Output A and B to Sub 1 and 2. My plan was to run it the latter way you described it as I think it leaves the least amount of room for error. I will def watch all those videos.

And thanks on the belt. It was several years of getting the crap beat out of me (which you obviously know). Shark truly is incredible as a coach, and he's a good friend too. I haven't trained at Rebello's gym, but I know he's created some killers out of that place.

Last edited by ratm; 11-25-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #23 of 59 Old 11-24-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Even though I haven't done karate in decades, here is a demonstration of one my kicks. Just for the giggles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glO6E15zuLg
*Disclaimer: Don't try at home, or anywhere. Don't kick reinforced cement like this (heck, don't kick anything/anyone for that matter... you'll hurt someone else or yourself. This is for Demonstration purposes only.)

Basically: How to end a man's career in <1 second. hehe!

Your traditional Karate forward sack-kick. Simple, yet effective!

Let's face it, your aggressor is almost-guaranteed to be a dude, and chances are, even if he can bench press an elephant, he didn't condition his sack (or eyes).

If you are closer, or pinned to the ground. Just use your hands to hit and/or crush the same area.
No need to "other arm, other arm, other arm" the guy with a million-move technique that will fail every time. hehe!

Of course, such moves are barred from the MMA and Olympics (and any other sport-ized style.)
Karate doesn't sport-ize very well because it's not meant for gaining points, it's transitionally meant for self-defense.
The goal being: to make the guy stop, or become hospitalized as fast/direct/simple as possible.
To focus all your power/speed/strength, making every kick or punch count as if your life depends on it, because it does.

Mad respect for kicking bricks. Your last sentence is why I tried Krav Maga a few times. LOVED it, I just dont have the time to do both. And I love jits more.
post #24 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have spent the day reading up and watching many videos on REW and how to integrated it with my NX6000D. How do I decide where to set my HPF? I know that the Behringer limits to 20 hz, but I plan on using John (LTD02)'s method of going lower if I have to.
post #25 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Your subs are sealed, correct? If so, then you don't need a HPF.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #26 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Your subs are sealed, correct? If so, then you don't need a HPF.

Yes, they are sealed. Does the sealed design inherently prevent the need for a HPF?
post #27 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Yes, they are sealed. Does the sealed design inherently prevent the need for a HPF?

In general, yes. In rare cases a shallow hpf can help with overexcursion.
With your drivers and amp, you won’t need one.
Chris
post #28 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
You have some really beefy subs (FiCar HT-3), I doubt you'd have to worry about over-excursion with your box size and amp of choice.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...

Last edited by johnson636; 11-25-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #29 of 59 Old 11-25-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
In general, yes. In rare cases a shallow hpf can help with overexcursion.
With your drivers and amp, you won’t need one.
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
You have some really beefy subs (FiCar HT-3), I doubt you'd have to worry about over-excursion with your box size and amp of choice.

Thanks guys!
post #30 of 59 Old 11-28-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Drivers are here. Boxes being painted (next Wednesday). Amp with fan mod ready to go, Neutrik connectors are wired. Umik-1 bought and on it's way. REW videos watched.

Should be a fun next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page