Subwoofer splitter and wiring for boss - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By a77cj7
  • 1 Post By a77cj7

post #1 of 19 Old 11-24-2019, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Subwoofer splitter and wiring for boss

I have a marantz av8805 pre processor, which has 2 Xlr balanced subwoofer outputs.

I have two regular subwoofers connected to these.

Now I want to also connect a behringer nx3000d to power 4 jbl 12” subwoofers in a boss riser.

What is the best approach for this:

1) use one of the Xlr out for both subwoofers (they can be chained) and the second Xlr for the behringer, or

2) use both for the subwoofers but add one Xlr splitter to split one of them towards both the sub and the behringer?

I’m afraid option 2 has a disadvantage when using audyssey since it would influence not just the sub but also the behringer. But option 1 means Audyssey can’t optimize each sub individually. What’s the best approach here?

Also should I add all 4 jbl’s to a single output channel of the behringer or put 2 on each output channel? If I do the latter, do I also need to use 2 input channels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-24-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
I have a marantz av8805 pre processor, which has 2 Xlr balanced subwoofer outputs.

Now I want to also connect a behringer nx3000d to power 4 jbl 12” subwoofers in a boss riser.

1) use one of the Xlr out for both subwoofers (they can be chained) and the second Xlr for the behringer, or

2) use both for the subwoofers but add one Xlr splitter to split one of them towards both the sub and the behringer?

I’m afraid option 2 has a disadvantage when using audyssey since it would influence not just the sub but also the behringer. But option 1 means Audyssey can’t optimize each sub individually. What’s the best approach here?

Also should I add all 4 jbl’s to a single output channel of the behringer or put 2 on each output channel? If I do the latter, do I also need to use 2 input channels?

I'd definitely keep the shaker array on one XLR and bridge the subs on the second. This provides some flexibility in my opinion such as the option to put a couch mounted volume control for the boss, or (if you're receiver supports it) run different crossover points for each. The NX3000 supports bridged mode so all 4 subs can be on one channel bridged provided you dont go lower than a 4 ohm load in that configuration. Wire your subs 2 in series on in pairs of 2 then wire the pairs in parallel.

There are some advantages to having audyssey have to work with both subs at the same time as if they're one sub. It will see them as the pair of subs they're intended to be. There are arguments for it both ways. The benefit here is that perhaps audyssey will not "hear" anything when you have it equalize the boss set which is sub #2 and then it won't futz with it at all. This is ideal as I don't think you'd want audyssey doing anything on the BOSS array.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-24-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:

Option 2.

This will allow you to keep your current calibration. Turn off the Behringer amp when/if you recalibrate with Audyssey. Adjust your BOSS settings using REW and a mic or by taste. The BOSS is more a shaker than a sound emitter, so it shouldn't hurt your existing calibration.
Quote:

If you use two outputs, you can split the input once again, or just use Input A in Bi-Amp mode. Make sure the crossovers aren't linked in the Crossover tab if you use Bi-Amp mode

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-24-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:

I also have the AV8805, and was thinking the RCA output connections could also be utilized?

I will be using a miniDSP 2x4 HD, so will probably be using that for the BOSS platform.

I’m researching/reading through the thread to prepare for the build.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #5 of 19 Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 4334
Having like subs on one trim lets you adjust the levels with said trim, but you forego any possibility matched stereophonic bass.

At some point you'll either have to go with a bigger miniDSP, or all-inukeDSP or step up to a Trinnov or Motu DSP rig.
Traditional AVR's and pre-pro's just aren't designed for ultra bassheads.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-02-2019, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Having like subs on one trim lets you adjust the levels with said trim, but you forego any possibility matched stereophonic bass.

At some point you'll either have to go with a bigger miniDSP, or all-inukeDSP or step up to a Trinnov or Motu DSP rig.

Traditional AVR's and pre-pro's just aren't designed for ultra bassheads.

So preparing for that scenario, would you say splitting it with a y sitter from one of the ports is the better choice? Or how do you get the signal into the minidsp?

post #7 of 19 Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I also have the AV8805, and was thinking the RCA output connections could also be utilized?

Hmm I made the assumption that if I use the Xlr puts the rca’s would be disabled. Or do they still output the exact same signal? Then we essentially have 4 sub outs.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Hmm I made the assumption that if I use the Xlr puts the rca’s would be disabled. Or do they still output the exact same signal? Then we essentially have 4 sub outs.

Yes, both the RCA and XLR output connections are “hot” all the time.
I learned that when converting from RCA to XLR or XLR to RCA, the adapter wiring is critical, and depends on which way you are converting, as noted in the post below. For converting XLR to RCA, Emotiva makes a correctly wired adapter:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

The Monoprice adapters are wired incorrectly:

For my miniDSP installation, I plan on making my own cables so I have ultimate flexibility in where to place the miniDSP in the rack.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited by giomania; 12-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Yes, both the RCA and XLR output connections are “hot” all the time.
I learned that when converting from RCA to XLR or XLR to RCA, the adapter wiring is critical. Basically, Pin 3 of the XLR connecter should not be connected, and adapters are not always wired correctly.

Emotiva makes a correctly wired adapter:

The Monoprice adapters are wired incorrectly:

For my miniDSP installation, I plan on making my own cables so I have ultimate flexibility in where to place the miniDSP in the rack.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Actually, the pinout depends on which way you’re converting.

RCA output to XLR input, pin 1 and 3 are shorted.

XLR output to RCA input, pin 3 is not connected.

Chris
giomania likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

It would this have an advantage over splitting the xlr? Audyssey would adjust both the rca and xlr output simultaneously, I assume, so it’s not 4 independent outs.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It would this have an advantage over splitting the xlr? Audyssey would adjust both the rca and xlr output simultaneously, I assume, so it’s not 4 independent outs.

Yes, they’re linked internally. Splitting the XLR will have the same effect.

Chris
post #12 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Consider a MiniDSP unit because it will give you the splitter function and also allow additional EQ along with BEQ.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #13 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 03:33 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Actually, the pinout depends on which way you’re converting.

RCA output to XLR input, pin 1 and 3 are shorted.

XLR output to RCA input, pin 3 is not connected.

Chris

Thanks for the clarification, because I have not decided whether or not to make either the XLR to RCA or the RCA to XLR adapters.

I need to find out if the subwoofers are actually balanced XLR inputs, because if they are not, it might make the most sense to wire them this way:

1) Marantz AV8805 RCA outputs to miniDSP RCA inputs via RCA cables (no adapters).

2) MiniDSP RCA outputs to the existing XLR cables via RCA to XLR adapters.

3) Equipment rack to subwoofers via the existing XLR cables.

Any input would be appreciated.

Mark

post #14 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, because I have not decided whether or not to make either the XLR to RCA or the RCA to XLR adapters.

I need to find out if the subwoofers are actually balanced XLR inputs, because if they are not, it might make the most sense to wire them this way:

1) Marantz AV8805 RCA outputs to miniDSP RCA inputs via RCA cables (no adapters).

2) MiniDSP RCA outputs to the existing XLR cables via RCA to XLR adapters.

3) Equipment rack to subwoofers via the existing XLR cables.

Any input would be appreciated.

Mark

It sounds like you have balanced inputs and outputs, so I’d just use a minidsp balanced.

On an unrelated note, I have one for sale. Pm me if interested.

Chris
post #15 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
It sounds like you have balanced inputs and outputs, so I’d just use a minidsp balanced.

On an unrelated note, I have one for sale. Pm me if interested.

Chris

Thanks but I already got the 2 x 4 HD based on recommendation from experienced miniDSP users, but I wish they had a newer balance unit with the same capabilities as the 2 x 4 HD.

Mark

post #16 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Subwoofer splitter and wiring for boss

Quote:
Thanks but I already got the 2 x 4 HD based on recommendation from experienced miniDSP users, but I wish they had a newer balance unit with the same capabilities as the 2 x 4 HD.

Mark

Agreed. I’m switching to a 4x10 HD, but it still doesn’t do some of the things the 2x4 hd does.

In that case, I’d go rca from processor to minidsp. Your subs likely have both rca and xlr inputs, so just use rca there too if you can.
Use adapter cables for the boss amp.

Chris
post #17 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 05:12 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Agreed. I’m switching to a 4x10 HD, but it still doesn’t do some of the things the 2x4 hd does.

In that case, I’d go rca from processor to minidsp. Your subs likely have both rca and xlr inputs, so just use rca there too if you can.
Use adapter cables for the boss amp.

Chris

Thanks again. I can’t do RCA to the subs because the Belden cable I used to make those custom cables is 110-ohm and designed for XLR. We will see how it works out.

post #18 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks again. I can’t do RCA to the subs because the Belden cable I used to make those custom cables is 110-ohm and designed for XLR. We will see how it works out.

Ahh, gotcha.

I don’t think you’ll have any issues as long as you use correctly wired adapters.

I just try to avoid using more adapters than necessary. It sounds necessary in your case though.

Chris
giomania likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-03-2019, 05:30 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Ahh, gotcha.

I don’t think you’ll have any issues as long as you use correctly wired adapters.

I just try to avoid using more adapters than necessary. It sounds necessary in your case though.

Chris

Agreed, and I will be connecting miniDSP gold RCAF to gold RCAM, and Neutrik XLRF silver to XLRM silver so no mismatched metal on the connections, so there is that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page