New Crown amp for two 18" SI D4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tgeorge34

post #1 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
New Crown amp for two 18" SI D4

Hey guys,

It has been a few years since i have been on here, so i need a little refresher course on wiring, etc. I have an Inuke 6000DSP going to two 18" SI D4's. Had the system running issue free for about 5 years now, and just the other day noticed my amp quit on me. Currently in the market looking for a new amplifier. What i am leaning towards now is a Crown XLS 2502 as opposed to another Inuke.

Does anyone have a similar setup? I am wanting to know if you guys ran the amp at 2, 4 or 8 ohm loads. If i remember correctly, those are the variations you can do with two individual sub boxes? Can anyone remember the settings for the amplifier etc, as i don't remember what all the little controls do in the DSP. Was the 2502 enough power compared to the inuke?

Thanks,
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeorge34 View Post
Hey guys,

It has been a few years since i have been on here, so i need a little refresher course on wiring, etc. I have an Inuke 6000DSP going to two 18" SI D4's. Had the system running issue free for about 5 years now, and just the other day noticed my amp quit on me. Currently in the market looking for a new amplifier. What i am leaning towards now is a Crown XLS 2502 as opposed to another Inuke.

Does anyone have a similar setup? I am wanting to know if you guys ran the amp at 2, 4 or 8 ohm loads. If i remember correctly, those are the variations you can do with two individual sub boxes? Can anyone remember the settings for the amplifier etc, as i don't remember what all the little controls do in the DSP. Was the 2502 enough power compared to the inuke?

Thanks,
Tyler
I have 4 18" DS 4 in sealed boxes. I'm running 2 Crown XLi-3500. One channel on each sub running a 4 ohm load. I've never stressed the amp or the subs.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

A little update....so I got the Crown 2502 hooked up last night, each sub at 4 ohms. I set the Low Pass Filter at 80hz. This should give me 775 watts per sub. The sub is rated for 600 watts rms. With the inuke, it says it gets 3000 watts per channel, although we all know that number is not accurate.

The subs do not pound nearly as much at the same volume as with the Inuke? I could only get the lights on the front to barely jump up and down, like it wasn't pushing the amp that much? I was used to the Inukes lights going like crazy. Is this due to the Crown pushing out less power? I was expecting the bass output to be very similar, but was disappointed.

Is there anything i am missing? I want the Low Pass Filter set at 80hz, correct? I called SI directly, and they informed me the Crown amps power ratings is much better for the SI D4 rms rating than the Inukes.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Gain issues. Make sure you are using .775 v setting, make sure gain knobs are maxed out, and send it a good strong signal.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
A little update....so I got the Crown 2502 hooked up last night, each sub at 4 ohms. I set the Low Pass Filter at 80hz. This should give me 775 watts per sub. The sub is rated for 600 watts rms. With the inuke, it says it gets 3000 watts per channel, although we all know that number is not accurate.

The subs do not pound nearly as much at the same volume as with the Inuke? I could only get the lights on the front to barely jump up and down, like it wasn't pushing the amp that much? I was used to the Inukes lights going like crazy. Is this due to the Crown pushing out less power? I was expecting the bass output to be very similar, but was disappointed.

Is there anything i am missing? I want the Low Pass Filter set at 80hz, correct? I called SI directly, and they informed me the Crown amps power ratings is much better for the SI D4 rms rating than the Inukes.

Any thoughts?
I had the same exact problem and an ART cleanbox pro fixed everything
post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
Gain issues. Make sure you are using .775 v setting, make sure gain knobs are maxed out, and send it a good strong signal.
Thanks!! I had the gain knobs up all the way, but changing the input sensitivity to .775 made a huge difference!!
Chris Popovich likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
I will be ordering one of these as well. They are sounding fine now....but can't figure out why one channel has its lights illuminate just a split second faster, even though they are ran from a splitter from one LFE output from Receiver. Maybe boosting the signal will eliminate that. Thanks!
post #8 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the ART clean box pro on order. After you hooked it up, did you leave the input setting on the amp at .775 or the 1.4 setting. Also, how high did you turn the gains up on the Cleanbox? Or how do you know you have everything at the correct setting or level?
post #9 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Quote:
I have the ART clean box pro on order. After you hooked it up, did you leave the input setting on the amp at .775 or the 1.4 setting. Also, how high did you turn the gains up on the Cleanbox? Or how do you know you have everything at the correct setting or level?
I have it on .775 and half gain on the ART
post #10 of 15 Old 12-01-2019, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have it on .775 and half gain on the ART
Thanks!
post #11 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
A little update....so I got the Crown 2502 hooked up last night, each sub at 4 ohms.
How are you getting one sub to present a 4ohm load if its a D4 (i.e. dual 4 ohm voice coils)? If you wire the VCs in parallel that presents 2 ohms, if you wire them in series it presents 8ohms.

I have four of the SI HT18 D4, each one has its voice coils in parallel to present 2ohms and is connected to a single channel of an inuke nu4-6000 (4 channels, 4 subs). I don't have the gain knobs on the inuke set to max (they're on position 14 of 20) but they play plenty loud for me while barely tickling the 2nd of four clip lights, and that's with a 9dB boost below 25Hz.

Source: Gaming/HT PC, i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz, 2x GTX 980Ti SLI, MPC-HCx64 w/ MadVR & SVP frame interpolation
Display: Panasonic VT30 55" Plasma ::: Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
5.1 Speakers: Behringer B215XLs
Subwoofers: 4x SI HT18 D4 open baffle powered by iNuke NU4-6000 (1 driver per channel at 2ohm)
post #12 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
How are you getting one sub to present a 4ohm load if its a D4 (i.e. dual 4 ohm voice coils)? If you wire the VCs in parallel that presents 2 ohms, if you wire them in series it presents 8ohms.

I have four of the SI HT18 D4, each one has its voice coils in parallel to present 2ohms and is connected to a single channel of an inuke nu4-6000 (4 channels, 4 subs). I don't have the gain knobs on the inuke set to max (they're on position 14 of 20) but they play plenty loud for me while barely tickling the 2nd of four clip lights, and that's with a 9dB boost below 25Hz.
From memory when i hooked this all up originally, I was thinking that i wired up only a single voice coil per sub? Thanks for the lookout,...alot of this stuff has slipped my mind lol. I guess i will be taking the subs out of there box today and confirming exactly how i have them wired.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
From memory when i hooked this all up originally, I was thinking that i wired up only a single voice coil per sub? Thanks for the lookout,...alot of this stuff has slipped my mind lol. I guess i will be taking the subs out of there box today and confirming exactly how i have them wired.

Hopefully not using only one coil, not good for the sub. That amp is 2 ohm stable though, so running the coils paralleled at 2ohm would work well.
Chris
post #14 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Hopefully not using only one coil, not good for the sub. That amp is 2 ohm stable though, so running the coils paralleled at 2ohm would work well.
Chris
Just got em out of the box....looks like i had them in series...an 8ohm load.

Just to confirm, I want them in parallel for a 2 ohm load, like the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 2.31.37 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2648560  
post #15 of 15 Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Just got em out of the box....looks like i had them in series...an 8ohm load.

Just to confirm, I want them in parallel for a 2 ohm load, like the picture.

Yes, that is correct.’

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page