SI 24” face to face driver arrangement help please - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 888 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2998 Post(s)
Liked: 3745
"I thought “OD” is what placed the drivers in the sides firing towards each other hence offset? That’s how I was told to model the slot in hornresp."

that's right.

"What I am not sure about is the orientation of the drivers firing into the slot though. It appears that they are positioned on top and bottom instead of sideways just by trying to interpret the schematic."

no difference.

"Here are newest graphs...."

conceptually, that is right. however your PAR length appear too long. first is from back of manifold to center of driver, then second is center of driver to exit of manifold. yours are about 4 feet total. the manifold appears to be just over 2 feet, so try reducing them by just under half.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 226
SI 24” face to face driver arrangement help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
"I thought “OD” is what placed the drivers in the sides firing towards each other hence offset? That’s how I was told to model the slot in hornresp."

that's right.

"What I am not sure about is the orientation of the drivers firing into the slot though. It appears that they are positioned on top and bottom instead of sideways just by trying to interpret the schematic."

no difference.

conceptually, that is right. however your PAR length appear too long. first is from back of manifold to center of driver, then second is center of driver to exit of manifold. yours are about 4 feet total. the manifold appears to be just over 2 feet, so try reducing them by just under half.

Ok. Thanks LTD. last time you helped me I couldn’t figure out what to do once added the voltage instead of hitting max spl. I guess just play with voltage until I hit a limit right? So play with voltage, hit calculate, then look at power graph?

So if I have the plenum splayed so that the back is more narrow than the front and the schematic shows the drivers firing down into that section instead of sideways it compensates for the drivers not actually fitting in that orientation? Basically it works it out regardless is my question? The loading would seem to be different if the drivers were at an angle I would think? Basically a V style vs U style but don’t see how to change their orientation if that makes sense?

That is why the numbers are that way. I was just playing around to see how switching from U to V affected the curve. It pretty much stays the same as far as where it peaks.

Thanks for chiming in LTD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #33 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
OD is modeling a horn with the driver down from the throat instead of in it.

Are you using the Yates manifold for the front sealed drivers in the baffle? U baffle could work, transmission line box assuming its resonance you're concerned with.

Yes I’m trying to model a baffle similar to the Yates baffle for sealed on the front baffle wall. If I were to place these 24s in a manifold in the ceiling the opening would be restricted by the joist spacing so would be much more narrow than I am modeling here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 05:55 AM

at bass wavelengths, slight differences in U or V shape won't matter if the cross sectional areas are roughly accurate.

up/down vs horizontal facing won't matter for modelling. neither will the angle of the drivers.

"I couldn’t figure out what to do once added the voltage instead of hitting max spl."

not sure what you are asking here. i'd check power for the amp and drivers's sake as well as excursion. those drivers should have quite a bit of excursion capability though. :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #35 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 05:57 AM

"Yes I’m trying to model a baffle similar to the Yates baffle for sealed on the front baffle wall. If I were to place these 24s in a manifold in the ceiling the opening would be restricted by the joist spacing so would be much more narrow than I am modeling here."

you can cheat that somewhat by increasing the height of the manifold to compensate.
audiovideoholic likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #36 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

SI 24” face to face driver arrangement help please

Here a 18”width x 24.5”height U style with corrected par values....

post #37 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 06:45 AM

that looks right.

thumbs up.

not sure about the vtc, but i don't think it matters.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #38 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"I couldn’t figure out what to do once added the voltage instead of hitting max spl."

not sure what you are asking here. i'd check power for the amp and drivers's sake as well as excursion. those drivers should have quite a bit of excursion capability though. :-)

When I had you help me a few years ago with something similar I kept getting caught up on the max spl function instead of playing with the voltage to see performance.

So when I change voltage I need to hit calculate each time correct? I’m using FP clones so will need to regulate voltage possibly. I haven’t gotten that far yet though.

post #39 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Quote:

that's right.

no difference.

So, modeling in OD you are putting the drivers at the mouth and eliminating the throat? The response is rather peaky at 100hz for this driver is this resonance of the opening?

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #40 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
When I had you help me a few years ago with something similar I kept getting caught up on the max spl function instead of playing with the voltage to see performance.

So when I change voltage I need to hit calculate each time correct? I’m using FP clones so will need to regulate voltage possibly. I haven’t gotten that far yet though.
roger, and yes, each time a parameter is changed 'calculate' has to be hit. tough to say how much limiting you may need. some of those drivers had a pretty tight suspension while others not so much, and lots of excursion as you know.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #41 of 41 Old 12-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
So, modeling in OD you are putting the drivers at the mouth and eliminating the throat? The response is rather peaky at 100hz for this driver is this resonance of the opening?
s1/s2 PAR is from the back of the manifold to the middle of the driver.

s2/s3 PAR is from the middle of the driver to the mouth of the baffle.

for a 24" driver, with a baffle only deep enough to fit the driver, s1/s2 PAR would be about 12-13" or so and s2/s3 PAR would be about 12-13" as well.

when using OD as the model.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page