post #31 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Damn....Now this is dedication.
trevordj likes this.

- 6 x Boston Acoustic CR6 Frankencenter, Boston Acoustic CR8 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 x jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsmitty67 View Post
And if sonotube isn't your flavor, plywood tubes are available...

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...0Paint%20Grade

Just for reference.

Those are expensive! $68 for 27.5” I would have spent almost double what I spent for the mdf and birch ply I used here. Pretty cool they exist though and thank you all for the feedback and ideas.
post #33 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Flush trimmed and sanded all the dowels.

Got out the rustoleum primer along with the reducer and universal urethane catalyst. Mixed 8:2:0.5

After a light tack coat I laid down a thick coat. I’ll let it cure overnight and see if i can sand it tomorrow. With the catalyst and my heated shop I think I will be good.

Normally I would have used some polyester primer first as a grain filler but the finish here doesn’t matter too much as this will all be covered with grill cloth.

OJ Bartley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 Old 12-18-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
Those are expensive! $68 for 27.5” I would have spent almost double what I spent for the mdf and birch ply I used here. Pretty cool they exist though and thank you all for the feedback and ideas.
For sure, and I am definitely not being critical. For me, time is precious, so I'd gladly spend a few $$ to save many hours of time in labor. Your setup is mega cool and I've no doubt that you're going to love the results. What you are doing is unique and shows absolute dedication.
trevordj likes this.
post #35 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

I have to take a detour for a few days. We are driving in the snow for christmas leaving on Monday. Before I do that I need to get the winter wheels and tires on my truck.

I’ll post some details about this detour diy project as I am sure many of you, like me, have varying diy interests outside of home audio.

I wanted a set of winter wheels and tires for my new truck, a 2019 f150 limited. I want to keep the stock 22” wheels and tires in good shape. I definitely did not want to spend $1500+ on a set of new wheels and tires so I picked up a full set of 20” stock Ford wheels from a local seller on CL. They are a nice shape and had a few finish blemishes which is perfect. Got the whole set of wheels for $200. I wanted to also save money on the tires. I found a set of Bridgestone non-studded winter tires that had only been used for 1 season. Usually these tires are $450 a piece, I got the full set for $400! So what would have been about $2k I only have $600 in. Now I just need to paint them.

I mentioned previous I needed to learn how to paint, again with the goal of painting my own speaker cabs. Earlier this year I finally got the process down. On wood and metal.

I welded, prepared , and painted a frame for a magic mirror earlier this year. This was my first hvlp spray project.

I also learned how to spray a catalyzed clear onto the wood frame of the mirror

MinHeadroom likes this.
post #36 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

I wanted to test getting a perfect finish on MDF so here are some shields I made for my kids.

HOK orionmax silver

HOK re-entry red with fine gold flake

Custom HOK mix of 75% jet black and 25% orionmax silver

I will be painting the wheels in HOK jet black with a HOK FC21 flat clear. I hope they turn out nice. One pictures below of the wheels during prep. I will spray the back of the wheels first then tape and spray the fronts. These HAVE to be done by Saturday so they can cure in the garage for at least 24h before taking them for mounting and balancing.

If all of this turns out ok I will also be painting the stock wheels on the truck.

All of this ties directly back to speaker building. I am hoping to translate the skills I have learned to the speakers I build.
OJ Bartley likes this.

Last edited by trevordj; 12-20-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #37 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Very nice job on the shields! Shields care of your cool CNC? What HVLP sprayer are you using?

And are those AXS racks in the background? I've had two sets of 20U units sitting around for a while in the garage awaiting installation
trevordj likes this.
post #38 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Man 24 hours is cutting it close on cure time. Hope it holds up for you.

Are you sandblasting the wheels? With that short of cure time you'll want a really good physical bond.
trevordj likes this.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #39 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Those shields look super cool, and my kids would love something like that, especially customized in colours they chose themselves. I would end up taking them away after about 10 minutes due to injuries, but you know. Lol.

I've always wanted to learn to spray too, but just can't convince myself to do it. Your projects seem to have gone really well, so maybe I can give it a try in the new year. Make sure you post lots of pics of the wheel process!
trevordj likes this.
post #40 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Some serious attention to detail. I’ll be following along for sure. 😎
trevordj likes this.
post #41 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
I have to take a detour for a few days. We are driving in the snow for christmas leaving on Monday. Before I do that I need to get the winter wheels and tires on my truck.

I’ll post some details about this detour diy project as I am sure many of you, like me, have varying diy interests outside of home audio.

I wanted a set of winter wheels and tires for my new truck, a 2019 f150 limited. I want to keep the stock 22” wheels and tires in good shape. I definitely did not want to spend $1500+ on a set of new wheels and tires so I picked up a full set of 20” stock Ford wheels from a local seller on CL. They are a nice shape and had a few finish blemishes which is perfect. Got the whole set of wheels for $200. I wanted to also save money on the tires. I found a set of Bridgestone non-studded winter tires that had only been used for 1 season. Usually these tires are $450 a piece, I got the full set for $400! So what would have been about $2k I only have $600 in. Now I just need to paint them.

I mentioned previous I needed to learn how to paint, again with the goal of painting my own speaker cabs. Earlier this year I finally got the process down. On wood and metal.

I welded, prepared , and painted a frame for a magic mirror earlier this year. This was my first hvlp spray project.

I also learned how to spray a catalyzed clear onto the wood frame of the mirror

Nice! I’m making a Magic Mirror right now! My excuse to buy a welder!

MinHeadroom
trevordj likes this.
post #42 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Very nice job on the shields! Shields care of your cool CNC? What HVLP sprayer are you using?

And are those AXS racks in the background? I've had two sets of 20U units sitting around for a while in the garage awaiting installation
Yes, I had them in a previous installation and now I don't have a use for them unfortunately. I will probably sell them at some point I just have so much crap I need to clear some space! Nice units though.

The shields I cut the good old fashioned way, like an amish farmer I used the bandsaw and router table . I am using the 3M accuspray gun which works well for my purposes. I like that the tips can be replaced easily and it is relatively affordable.
post #43 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
Man 24 hours is cutting it close on cure time. Hope it holds up for you.

Are you sandblasting the wheels? With that short of cure time you'll want a really good physical bond.
I would really like more time and I may stretch the wheel installation to Monday to give it 48 hours. My shop is heated and I can crank it up to 90 degrees in there, which I will do. Luckily the cure time on House of Kolor stuff is pretty reliable. Their show clear, USC01, requires 4-6 hours at 70 degrees before sanding and 24 hours before polishing. When I was doing my other projects, above, I found that to be accurate. The FC21 flat clear only calls for 1 hour before wet sanding, buffing, and delivers as it is made for smaller parts (https://www.houseofkolor.com/products/clearcoats/) with 24h at 90 degrees I should be good, hopefully.

As to prep, I don't have access to media blasting so I sanded with 320 on the accessible areas and then went over everything else with a maroon scuff pad.
post #44 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
Nice! I’m making a Magic Mirror right now! My excuse to buy a welder!

MinHeadroom
Awesome! I will just say I love my millermatic 255. Its expensive but worth every penny to me.
post #45 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Awesome! I will just say I love my millermatic 255. Its expensive but worth every penny to me.

I’m willing to bet that’s far superior to the $119 stick welder I got on Amazon! If this floats my boat, a combo TIG/plasma cutter will be my next purchase
trevordj likes this.
post #46 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinHeadroom View Post
I’m willing to bet that’s far superior to the $119 stick welder I got on Amazon! If this floats my boat, a combo TIG/plasma cutter will be my next purchase
I started with a $100 flux core welder from Amazon and it was tough to use. I ended up taking a welding class and they had a few mid to lower tier Lincolns that made a night and day difference. I then decided to buy once/cry once and get a nice unit. One day I am going to get a dedicated TIG/Stick welder and learn how to make the pretty TIG welds. For now the MIG welder is great and the machine makes me look like I am a moderately decent welder.
MinHeadroom likes this.
post #47 of 69 Old 12-20-2019, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Got the back side of the wheels painted tonight. I am very happy with how they turned out. They aren’t perfect, but it’s the back of a wheel. The most important part will be to get the face of it perfect tomorrow. I am still new at this and my biggest mistake is I learned I was spraying base coat too wet and with too high pressure. I was getting some pretty bad mottling. I let the base dry and resprayed two super light almost dry coats and everything evened out. Not too bad for a diy job in a mdf dust filled shop.

post #48 of 69 Old 12-22-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

Wow, this turned out to be a lot more work than I expected, mostly because I made some mistakes due to inexperience. I didn’t mask the front of the wheels when I was spraying the back. I figured I was spraying them anyway so a quick wipe with some solvent and the would be good. Wrong, on two accounts. After the clear cured it wouldn’t wipe with thinner, which is a good thing I suppose, but I though overspray would easily come off.

I basically had to go through and sand the front of the wheels a second time. That was four hours I didn’t plan on.

The other mistake with trying to wipe with thinner is some dropped o to the fresh clear in the back of the wheel. This ruined the clear. It was salvageable though. I had to go back and color sand the clear and spray the clear again. This turned out to be a happy mistake. Although it was more work that I planned I was able to lay down an overthinned flow coat of clear and it turned out really nice. Again though this is the back of a wheel that 99% of people will never see.

The front paint went on well. I really like the look of the HOK KC21 flat clear.

I’m waiting until tomorrow to get the tires and wheels installed. I will see how these hold up over the winter and if there is no adhesion issues I will pain my stock 22 inch wheels as well.

I put in a good 15 hours of work on these yesterday. I am beat. I’m taking it easy and will pick up with the theater build after I get back from Christmas.

I am going to fart around installing remote triggers in my speaker power amps this afternoon but mostly just watch football.
post #49 of 69 Old 12-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Nice rims!
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #50 of 69 Old 12-22-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Nice rims!
Thank you! All in I have $300 into them. It is just a used set of factory ford 20" wheels and then $100 worth of paint products. Not too shabby.
post #51 of 69 Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

I'm waiting for my son 2 graduate from Cincinnati in the spring to get a velocity blue 2018-2020 F150 Supercrew 5.0, 2wd, 3.55 eLSD, touchscreen, 20" rims.
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #52 of 69 Old 12-23-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm waiting for my son 2 graduate from Cincinnati in the spring to get a velocity blue 2018-2020 F150 Supercrew 5.0, 2wd, 3.55 eLSD, touchscreen, 20" rims.

Very nice! I just got this truck about 6 months ago, 2019 F-150 limited. The fit finish and quality of the interior is what sold me. The raptor engine in it is crazy, 450hp and 500lb/ft of torque out of a v6 is mind blowing.

post #53 of 69 Old 12-23-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

wheels installed!

post #54 of 69 Old 12-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Nice truck! I just need it for half of what you paid for it. That TTV6 is a beast, but I need that V8 growl.
trevordj likes this.

post #55 of 69 Old 01-01-2020, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Back to work. I posted in the SpeakerPower thread my modification to my amplifiers to include a remote trigger in and out. I won’t post the entirety of it here but here are a couple of highlights.

post #56 of 69 Old 01-01-2020, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I decided the rustoleum is not worth messing with. It is dirt cheap but it is more trouble than it is worth. I would rather spend a little more money on quality products that apply easily and quickly rather than waste time.

I sprayed some evercoat slicksand tonight. I’ll sand tomorrow and then apply to the other side of the grille. I have some house of kolor epoxy primer that I never use so I will use that as a sealer over the slicksand and then I have an affordable single stage satin black paint I can finish it with.

post #57 of 69 Old 01-02-2020, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

More work today. Sanded, sprayed, sanded again and now epoxy primer is over the filler. They are looking nice and straight.

I also ran the speaker wires to the Atmos locations. Now all wire is run. I have to stop by homeless despot tonight and get some wood for mounting the Atmos speakers and I am going to run some 1.5” conduit. The HDMI spec is in such a state of change right now I want to easily be able to pull a new cable if necessary.

post #58 of 69 Old 01-05-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I didn’t get as much done this weekend as I had hoped. I ran 1.5” conduit for future proofing future HDMI updates. I was going to pull the existing HDMI cable and run it through the conduit but this would be unnecessary. I will just leave it in place and have the conduit empty. There is not much to show here. I ran four lengths of rope through the conduit that I can use to pull cable in the future. This took me about 8 hours, it was a pain.

I flipped the grilles and sprayed some filler primer, sanded flat, then sprayed epoxy. All the enclosures and grilles are now ready for paint after a quick sanding.

I press fit the trim rings for the Atmos speakers. These will provide a perfect round reference against the round enclosures. This will be covered with the grill but if I ever decide to remove the grill I still want them to look nice.

The trim rings were spackled in place

I also started buttoning up the wire installation. All wiring was complete so it is just a matter of terminating everything, repairing drywall, and sanding.

I say it was complete because I made an error. I was drilling a hole to run some of the signal cable and the cable caught in the drill bit. I ruined two coax runs and one cat6. Unfortunately I ran through my entire ream of both of these with the install so I had to order more cable. It won’t arrive until next week so I will have to hold until then (using Belden 1694a RG6 coax and Belden 2412 cat6+... in fact the speaker cable is also Belden, their cables are high quality IMO). I am also on hold with finishing the enclosures until the single stage paint arrives.

The only unknown is exactly how I will secure the speakers in place. I want to keep it simple but I don’t know exactly how I am going to do it yet. I am thinking I will push the boxes into the mounting location, temporarily mount a 2x4 underneath them on the ceiling (so they are guaranteed flush with the ceiling drywall, then build a simple frame above them out of 2x4s so the Atmos enclosure can be screwed into the 2x4 frame through the speaker hole.

Alternatively I could just glue a piece of plywood with a hole cutout around the speaker and then set them in from the attic, in this case they would just be sitting free, but with a wide plywood base.

I like the simplicity of the second option better but I think the first option will be more secure. Any other ideas or thoughts?
ZGief likes this.
post #59 of 69 Old 01-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Keep up the great work!
trevordj likes this.

post #60 of 69 Old 01-09-2020, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Keep up the great work!

Thanks, I got the paint yesterday and the cabling is being delivered Saturday. I’m planning on paint tomorrow and Saturday along with room cleanup/prep Saturday and Sunday. I always overestimate what I can get done, I want to paint the room this weekend but I don’t know that I will have time.

Atmos speakers should be in this weekend and then it’s back to CNC work as I cut out the surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page