Paint is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 01-11-2020, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Couple more pictures. I like this paint, for $100/gallon it is great. I used the speedokote smr207 hot rod black single stage 2k urethane. It’s kinda tough to lay down evenly but it finishes with a very nice flat finish and without any appreciable orange peel. I will definitely use it again.

Mashie Saldana and ZGief like this.
post #63 of 72 Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

Atmos speakers are done!

Got some of the wiring cleaned up. It takes a surprising amount of time terminating all the connections.

I got all of the supplies to prep/paint the room. I am going to be updating the lighting while I have everything torn apart. Nothing fancy, just going to put in a new fixture and relocate it to the center of the seating area. I’m also going to put in 10 4” canisters and dimmable LEDs. Ill put in a couple of Lutron smart switches so I can control everything with the harmony remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 253
NICE work!!!!!
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #65 of 72 Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Loving it. Planning on doing something very similar this week for my Atmos speakers. Enclosures are already permanently mounted above the drywall, so I plan on making a jig to perfectly place four screws in the ceiling and then sink the neo magnets in the bottom of the grill using that same jig to get the placement perfect.
trevordj likes this.
post #66 of 72 Old 01-13-2020, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLV View Post
Loving it. Planning on doing something very similar this week for my Atmos speakers. Enclosures are already permanently mounted above the drywall, so I plan on making a jig to perfectly place four screws in the ceiling and then sink the neo magnets in the bottom of the grill using that same jig to get the placement perfect.

Nice! You are using Volt 10s right? How did you construct the enclosure and mount it in the attic? I think I am going to build a small 2x4 frame above each hole and screw the cylinders into that frame from below. I feel like there should be an easier way though.

Are you going sealed on your Volt 10s? I was between doing the 10s sealed and the Volt 6s ported (they both have the same footprint from this perspective). I decided on the Volt6 ported because my ceiling isn’t super high and I decided the advantage of a bit less beaming of the 6 compared to the 10 was worth the trade off of less output and less sensitivity.
post #67 of 72 Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
Nice! You are using Volt 10s right? How did you construct the enclosure and mount it in the attic? I think I am going to build a small 2x4 frame above each hole and screw the cylinders into that frame from below. I feel like there should be an easier way though.

Are you going sealed on your Volt 10s? I was between doing the 10s sealed and the Volt 6s ported (they both have the same footprint from this perspective). I decided on the Volt6 ported because my ceiling isn’t super high and I decided the advantage of a bit less beaming of the 6 compared to the 10 was worth the trade off of less output and less sensitivity.
Yes, Volt 10's. I built double-walled 5/8" MDF sealed enclosures that were 0.7 cu ft per. They were going to be permanent, so I built them stout! This is a basement theater, so I built them to the width of the spacing between the ceiling joists and just screwed them in before the drywallers came through and covered them up. I stepped the baffles up so that the triple drywall overlapped them to help with sealing the room that much more.
trevordj likes this.
post #68 of 72 Old 01-16-2020, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
thats some very nice work, and creative can't wait to see when it's all finished
trevordj likes this.
post #69 of 72 Old 01-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I love me some complex woodworking projects! Well done.
trevordj likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #70 of 72 Old 01-26-2020, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I haven’t updated this in awhile just because there wasn’t anything exciting going on. Buttoning up wiring, repairing holes, and running electrical for lighting. I also had to run some Ethernet cable and coax to two additional rooms in the house. Call it project creep, but I needed network cables run to these rooms and I figured since the walls were open it was a good time to do it (even though I really didn’t want to). I was able to do this without opening any additional walls so that’s a win.

I relocated and upgraded the light fixture to the center of the room.

and put in 10 x 4” recessed lighting fixtures along with LED lights (super inexpensive sunco brand I found on amazon). The retrofit cans worked better than any others I have used.

All of the lights are on two lutron caseta smart switches so I will be able to automate them with my harmony remote. In the rest of my house I have used philips hue. They are expensive and are not always the most reliable. The color control seemed cool but was really more of a novelty. I am hoping the more simple and less expensive lutron approach will be more reliable and useful.

Wires everywhere

All the wiring was done and everything looks good.

post #71 of 72 Old 01-26-2020, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

I got all the speaker enclosures mounted in the ceiling. It was a pain. I ended up making a simple frame glued and screwed the the ceiling joists. I then screwed the enclosures to the frame through the speaker hole.

It all sounds easy in theory. It was very challenging in practice. Mounting these boxes took me about 6 hours. My back is killing me.

I am going to get the drivers, insulation, and crossovers in tomorrow or maybe later tonight and these things are done.
notfastenough and ZGief like this.
post #72 of 72 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Excellent work tho'!
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page