Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #1 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121
9.4.6 DIY Build

I have been collecting parts for the last several years and been dealing with some waxing and waning motivation (2 young kids, busy job, marital stress/obligations etc) but I am finally forging ahead working on a semi-dedicated home theater with (hopefully) a nice set of speakers going in.

LCR will be custom cabinets, custom passive crossovers (still need to sort out actually doing that), and will house acoustic elegance TD12Ms with Apollo upgrade and Beyma TPL-150Hs. I have the cabinet design complete and need to start cutting the wood.

The six surrounds will be custom cabinets, passive crossovers, and will contain acoustic elegance TD8Ms with Apollo and Peerless XT25TG30s in SEOS 6 waveguides.

The six Atmos in ceiling speakers I am currently working on are Volt 6 v2 in some custom cabinets.

I have 4 SI HST18s I will put in some custom sealed cabinets.

Electronics will mostly be an Emotiva XMC-2 (got in on the upgrade price which was nice) some older emotiva amplifiers, and a couple of speaker power amplifiers from Seaton (SP2-8K I think)

Attached are some pictures of the room. Luckily I have an attic above and behind this room so everything is somewhat accessible. I have run 12g wire to the LCR positions, 14g to the surrounds and I still need to run 16g to the Atmos positions. I ran 10g to the subwoofer locations. With each speaker run I also included coax and cat6 just in case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Before starting the speakers I needed to build a CNC to make the boxes. I did an MPCNC with about 24” by 35” cutting area. For those of you unfamiliar this is basically a DIY CNC with stainless conduit and 3D printed fittings. It’s pretty slow but so far getting the job done. In the near future I will be getting a much larger CNC that can process an entire sheet of plywood.

These are some shots of a couple panels being processed

dtsdig and OJ Bartley like this.
post #3 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I will post some shots of the 3D renderings I made for the speaker cabinets when I get home. I have cut the prototype cabinet for the Atmos speakers and everything looks/sounds good. I just need to cut the parts for the other 5 now.

The box is cylindrical with an internal volume of 0.5cf per DIYSG recommendations. There is a magnetic grill that will be covered in grill cloth. These will be flush mounted into the ceiling screwed to some of the joists through the attic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 332
9.4.6 DIY Build

Excited to see your results.
I’ve been considering that woofer and tweeter combo for a vertical center.
Will you be running active or passive?
Edit: Apparently I fail reading comprehension. I see now you said custom passives.

Chris
trevordj likes this.
post #5 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Looking good, how much are they going to weigh when finished?
trevordj likes this.
post #6 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Excited to see your results.
I’ve been considering that woofer and tweeter combo for a vertical center.
Will you be running active or passive?
Edit: Apparently I fail reading comprehension. I see now you said custom passives.

Chris

Initially I wanted to run active but it just became too complicated. I have been apprehensive about designing passive crossovers for some time though so I figure it will be a good learning opportunity if nothing else.

Last edited by trevordj; 12-05-2019 at 10:35 PM.
post #7 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
Looking good, how much are they going to weigh when finished?

The Atmos enclosures aren’t too bad. I haven’t weighed them but they are lighter than I thought they would be. The walls are 3/4 inch thick mdf with 4 1/4 inch birch alignment dowels running the length of the box. The baffle is mdf with a layer of Baltic birch underneath (I was going to do an all birch baffle but my cnc just has a harder time with it given it is not very stiff - plastic fittings and all). The rear of the speaker is also Baltic birch. I would say, without drivers they weigh 10lb

I have no idea how much the other speakers are going to weigh. The subwoofer enclosure is designed with 1.5 inch walls and its 32 inches x 20 x 24, or something close to that. It will be heavy
post #8 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 4374
A lot of people have had problems with Emotiva processors, past and present. Does the XMC-2 even boot? and if it boots, does it actually lock onto HDMI signals (for the whole movie / day), or does it send random fully clipped noise out every output or what?

I had a UMC-1 back in 09, and it was nothing but problem after problem. They never fixed all the user issues, just like with the XMC-1 they just abandon users after a while to make a new unit with new problems. LOL!

Have they made any progress in the last 10 years or huh?

I was too scared to buy an RMC-1 when it first came out (and still am), and just stuck with a Marantz processor instead, absolutely zero problem here. No glitches or lockup, decodes exactly what it should when it should.
Ain't got no time to bleed. hehe!
trevordj likes this.
post #9 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
A lot of people have had problems with Emotiva processors, past and present. Does the XMC-2 even boot? and if it boots, does it actually lock onto HDMI signals (for the whole movie / day), or does it send random fully clipped noise out every output or what?

I had a UMC-1 back in 09, and it was nothing but problem after problem. They never fixed all the user issues, just like with the XMC-1 they just abandon users after a while to make a new unit with new problems. LOL!

Have they made any progress in the last 10 years or huh?

I was too scared to buy an RMC-1 when it first came out (and still am), and just stuck with a Marantz processor instead, absolutely zero problem here. No glitches or lockup, decodes exactly what it should when it should.

Ain't got no time to bleed. hehe!

I’m not sure, I don’t have it yet. I bought the XMC-1 years ago and, frankly, I never really used it. Kind of a waste of money I just had plans to do this project for a long time and never was able to find the time to do it. The xmc-2 was just released and they did a pretty good price for the upgrade from the 1 to 2. I figure if it doesn’t work I can sell it and get a marantz.

So far the reviews of the xmc-2 are ok but I know what you mean about emotiva. Their track record with processors has been bumpy at best. The amps used to be good value but they seemed to consistently reduce the quality and increase the price over the last several years. I ran a UMC-200 for several years. I had one issue with it that I had to send it in for repair for. They took care of it and it still works well today. I run an XSP-1 (I think that’s the model) at my office and it has run flawlessly for years, although it’s just a stereo preamp.
post #10 of 69 Old 12-05-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Cabinet Renderings

Here are the renderings for the speaker cabinets. Pretty straight forward except I'm going to go through quite a few sheets of MDF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baltas Surrounds v35.2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2650058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Volt Atmos 2.0 v8.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2650060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baltas FCR V2.0 v26.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2650062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baltas Subwoofer v25.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2650064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baltas Surrounds v35.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2650066  

elusiveis likes this.
post #11 of 69 Old 12-07-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Making some dust today. I have to cut out 70 rings for the volt 6 Atmos bodies. Also some pics of the Volt 6 crossovers. I’m impressed with DIYSG their kits are well packaged and crossovers are pretty foolproof to put together.

post #12 of 69 Old 12-07-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

CNC doing its thing

post #13 of 69 Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

Got some parts cut. 70 rings for the bodies, 5 baffles, grills, trim rings, and backs. Tomorrow I will try to get everything separated from the tabs and start getting epoxy on the magnets. Still have to cut the birch mounting rings which I will do manually (the cnc doesn’t do as well with birch) and then glue ups, paint, and grill cloth.

Any feedback or thoughts is appreciated

Last edited by trevordj; 12-12-2019 at 03:16 AM.
post #14 of 69 Old 12-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Not to be critical of cnc fun, but you can save a lot of time and money by using sonotube for the round enclosures and kerfed (or laminated thin) sheet for the sides of the curved enclosures.
Good luck and have fun either way.
trevordj likes this.
post #15 of 69 Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Loving this build so far!
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #16 of 69 Old 12-12-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 522
I have to say that you aren't afraid of a little dust. HAHA. How many lbs. of mdf dust have you collected.

I do love your ideas and once done will have a great system. Keep posting your pics along the way.
trevordj likes this.

post #17 of 69 Old 12-12-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsmitty67 View Post
Not to be critical of cnc fun, but you can save a lot of time and money by using sonotube for the round enclosures and kerfed (or laminated thin) sheet for the sides of the curved enclosures.
Good luck and have fun either way.
I have never worked with sonotube before but to be quite honest I never considered it for this. It probably would have been much easier. It has never felt right to me building an enclosure out of cardboard but MDF isn't much different. I will call these a practice for the larger surrounds, FCR, and subwoofer builds coming up.
post #18 of 69 Old 12-12-2019, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have to say that you aren't afraid of a little dust. HAHA. How many lbs. of mdf dust have you collected.

I do love your ideas and once done will have a great system. Keep posting your pics along the way.
So far I have emptied my dust collector bin twice! That's 60 gallons of compacted MDF dust.

I really need to figure out a dust collection strategy for this CNC, my shop is a mess.
post #19 of 69 Old 12-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Wow!
trevordj likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #20 of 69 Old 12-13-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
Before starting the speakers I needed to build a CNC to make the boxes.

Now that right there is something I swear, I never thought I'd hear! This dude means business.....I like it!

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #21 of 69 Old 12-15-2019, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

I got some work done today. About 10 hours and 3/4 gallon of titebond 3 and all 6 cabinets are assembled. I started with cutting the Baltic birch mounting rings then processed all of the body rings that had been previously cut with the CNC. Then it was a matter of gluing everything up.

Tomorrow I will epoxy the magnets in place and process the mounting rings and grills. I am hoping to get paint on by Tuesday. Then I have to pause until after Christmas as I have to paint my winter truck wheels, get the tires mounted/balanced, and drive to my in-laws house in Idaho for Christmas.

Rings before processing

After

Three assembled boxes

All 5 stacked up

Trimlock likes this.

Last edited by trevordj; 12-15-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #22 of 69 Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I also started trying to figure out how to modify my subwoofer amplifiers to add a remote turn on circuit. I read the speakerpower thread and it turns out it is super easy. You just have to short the two wires going to the switch on the front of the panel. I will leave the switch functional as well. I'll post pictures of my process after I receive the parts.

I thought I was going to have to get a large, expensive solid state relay to do this but after discovering this switch setup its just a matter of a super cheap, small one.

I will be using these

Relay

One side of the relay will switch the amplifier on. The other side I will use to power a small power supply. The power supply will be wired to a "remote out" jack so I can daisy chain the remote signal to another unit. I got this one:

Power Supply

I grabbed a couple of these to serve as the jacks:

Switchcraft 1/8" Mono Mini TS Female

There is plenty of room inside the SP2-8000s to get all this inside. I'll drill into the back of the panel to mount the 1/8 jacks and should be good to go.

I'll make some trigger cables with some cat 6 cable and these

Switchcraft 1/8" Mono Mini TS Male

Last edited by trevordj; 12-15-2019 at 10:28 PM.
post #23 of 69 Old 12-16-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Any thoughts on what to do with all that MDF scrap? Are you tossing or burning? I bet you could get someone crafty to come pick them up for free.
trevordj likes this.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #24 of 69 Old 12-16-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
Any thoughts on what to do with all that MDF scrap? Are you tossing or burning? I bet you could get someone crafty to come pick them up for free.

The circles I am going to clean up in the router table and donate to my youngest son’s preschool. My kids have been painting on them and love it so the preschool wants them for the same purpose
jevchance likes this.
post #25 of 69 Old 12-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Tell 'em to use them as wheels for cardboard soap box derby type cars!
trevordj likes this.

post #26 of 69 Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

9.4.6 DIY Build

More work.

I processed the grills and trim rings.

Before

After

I ran a small rabbet around the outside. This will allow a mounting edge for the grill cloth to be cleanly cut and will allow the grill to still sit flush after the grill cloth is installed

To put the edge details on the grill I had to mount a template so I had a surface for the router bearing to ride on.

I have a round over on the inside so I hopefully don’t have any harsh edges affecting the speakers’ sound. The outside got a chamfer

Last edited by trevordj; 12-16-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #27 of 69 Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

The last item on the agenda tonight was installing the neodymium magnets. I obsessively triple checked the magnet orientation against the prototype so I didn’t mess up the polarity.

For adhesive I use 3M panel adhesive. I got this from a car audio installer I watch on YouTube. This stuff is expensive but a tube lasts quite awhile and seals after use. A new mixing tip just has to be put on each time. This stuff is awesome for gluing metals or plastics to wood. It also sands and paints well. Good stuff.

I cut 60 dowels to plug over the magnets

I got the magnets in with dowels sealed over the top. I will give these 24 hours to cure and flush trim/sand then I can paint.

OJ Bartley and notfastenough like this.
post #28 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Very cool build!! Although I agree that I would have used sonotube, you won't have to second guess cabinet resonance and can use the entire body for mounting hardware options.

With this commitment to Atmos modules, I can't wait to see what you've cooked up for the LCR and surrounds! Keep it nutty lol
trevordj, Thomas__S and jevchance like this.
post #29 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Very cool build!! Although I agree that I would have used sonotube, you won't have to second guess cabinet resonance and can use the entire body for mounting hardware options.

With this commitment to Atmos modules, I can't wait to see what you've cooked up for the LCR and surrounds! Keep it nutty lol

Thank you! So far so good. I didn’t consider the sonotube until it was brought up here. It would have definitely easier but I still likely wouldn’t have used it. Actually if I was just looking at ease of the build I would have just done an infinite baffle and been done with it. I think for the volt6 that limits useable high pass to 150hz or so and the Dolby Atmos specs state that all speakers should be as full range as possible.

Anyway, I have digressed. I am looking at these as a proof of concept that I can do a trans-lam design with this cnc. Now that I am comfortable with the setup and design (it was a steep learning curve) I feel comfortable moving forward with the larger surrounds and FCRs. I may consider using the cnc to just cut out templates and then doing the parts by hand on the router table. It will be more manual work but I think it will reduce waste and increase the production speed.

I am hoping to get the dowels trimmed, get everything sanded and painted tonight.

In the last year I got a hvlp gun and learned how to spray automotive finishes. Since these will be covered with grill cloth these are going to get a simple single stage paint with black rustoleum but I will catalyze the rustoleum which helps it cure much faster and gives a more durable finish.

For the surrounds, FCRs, and subwoofers I will be finishing them in a piano black using House of Kolor black. I may add some metallic silver to them as wel but haven’t decided yet.
post #30 of 69 Old 12-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
And if sonotube isn't your flavor, plywood tubes are available...

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...0Paint%20Grade

Just for reference.
trevordj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page