• 3 Post By jcmccorm

post #1 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Need a decent router

Sorry for the off-topic post but you guys on this forum are tool-savvy so I thought I'd ask.

Besides cutting out driver holes and doing round-overs, I sometimes use my router for other things. Last night I was cutting a door jamb/frame kit to replace one that became termite food and the old blue Ryobi's depth ring clamp quit working and started rotating on me. Kind of messed up the job but nothing some wood putty won't fix. I could set the depth and tape the ring down where I want it but I've had old blue for a long time and it's time for a new router.

What do you guys like?

Last edited by jcmccorm; 12-11-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any preference for corded vs battery? I'm guessing just a small trim router is okay?

I've been using my brother in laws DWP611 trim router from Dewalt for my purposes lately. It does it's job well, but it's not a heavy duty router, to say the least. I liked it enough that I just ordered the DCW600, which is the battery version of it (and I can finally give his router back). I'm sure the battery version will be nearly identical to the corded one, but I'd rather just have a trim router be battery powered for my uses. The depth adjustment on the dewalt trim routers seem pretty nice; I've used some poor quality ones before.

I thought about picking up a heavier duty router/table before, but I don't think I'd get much use out of it in the end.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
Any preference for corded vs battery? I'm guessing just a small trim router is okay?

I've been using my brother in laws DWP611 trim router from Dewalt for my purposes lately. It does it's job well, but it's not a heavy duty router, to say the least. I liked it enough that I just ordered the DCW600, which is the battery version of it (and I can finally give his router back). I'm sure the battery version will be nearly identical to the corded one, but I'd rather just have a trim router be battery powered for my uses. The depth adjustment on the dewalt trim routers seem pretty nice; I've used some poor quality ones before.

I thought about picking up a heavier duty router/table before, but I don't think I'd get much use out of it in the end.
Thanks Heide264!

I've been perusing reviews online and notice that the DWP611 (Dewalt) and Bosch 1617EVSPK get high ratings. Both corded (I don't mind that), both with plunge attachments. The Bosch can take 1/4" or 1/2" bits, although all my bits are 1/4". Some reviews say that the Dewalt gets hot. Have you noticed that?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I understand that it's not heavy-duty but I'm not sure that I need that. So far, I've used my Ryobi (RIP) on speakers and the odd trim/door work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I own the Bosch and it is my favorite tool that I own. I can’t think of anything negative to say about it.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
Thanks Heide264!

I've been perusing reviews online and notice that the DWP611 (Dewalt) and Bosch 1617EVSPK get high ratings. Both corded (I don't mind that), both with plunge attachments. The Bosch can take 1/4" or 1/2" bits, although all my bits are 1/4". Some reviews say that the Dewalt gets hot. Have you noticed that?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I understand that it's not heavy-duty but I'm not sure that I need that. So far, I've used my Ryobi (RIP) on speakers and the odd trim/door work.
Only time I notice it struggling is when I'm using a flush cut bit to cut the 2nd layer of a driver hole. I can't blame it for that, as its a wide diameter flush cut bit and I was basically using it as a jigsaw. Now I use a jig saw to cut close to the 'existing' hole (which I cut with a normal cutting bit on a router and circle jig) and then flush cut whatever is left down... its no problem at all for the little guy. I think it got a little warm, but nothing that I thought was unusual given the abuse I just put it through. I'm not a great wood worker, by any means, so take that for what it's worth.

The plunge base is somewhat expensive for it (if it doesn't come in the kit), just a warning. The battery one that I got does not include it, but I'm okay with that I think - I picked up a little dust shroud to use for the fixed base kit, which was the main reason I used the plunge cutting base. Otherwise, the plunge base does it's job well.

I guess only other warning is to be careful if you use a circle jig; you can over tighten the screws that go to the base plate and crack it due to the way the holes are counter sunk in the base plate. I didn't have an issue with it, personally, but it's worth noting.

My battery one comes in Thursday along with the smaller dust shroud for it. I'll try to get some time with it this weekend if you want my thoughts on that. If it's like the other Dewalt 20V tools, I expect to prefer it to their corded version.

If I was going to get a heavier duty router, I would go Bosch, most likely, as a side note. My dad has an older one that I've used time to time, and it has worked well for me. Being a much heavier duty unit, it's physically larger and hence harder to use without a table. I have no experience with Bosch trim routers, but I'm sure they work well, too!

Last edited by Heide264; 12-10-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 856
I have Bosch and Makita routers that are decades old, been very happy with them.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #7 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I have a bunch of routers, the best router is a 1/2" router. If this is only for driver cut outs you can get away with a 1/4" and cut slow.

If you plan on using this for multiple projects I'd get a combo kit for the Bosch 15amp 1/2" router off of Amazon.
dtsdig and mhutchins like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 181
I am using the Ryobi 18v trim router and have used it for cutting out driver holes through 1.5" plywood by going slowly (~20 passes). Very slow process but the cordless option is incredibly convenient.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Buy the best you can afford. It is cheaper to buy the correct tool first, than to settle for what you think you can get by with, only to buy the one you should have bought first later.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #10 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Need a decent router

I’ve got the 20v dewalt cordless router and absolutely love it. Amazing for circle cuts and roundovers. The small dewalt plunge base works perfectly with it.

I need to get a 1/2 shank corded for templating and heavier work though.

Chris
Heide264 likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
I've used the heck out of my Bosch 1617EVSPK kit and also love my Bosch Colt handheld as well. The Colt kit I bought came with an adjustable angle base that is the best thing ever for doing veneer trim or flush trim operations on angled boxes!

Here's the kits:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVS...38&s=hi&sr=1-2

Here's the angle base:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR005-T.../dp/B000FF5I66

For any heavy operations, you're always better off using the full size router with 1/2" bits. That thing is a monster for plunging holes.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm. I guess I do like the idea of going cordless. Right now I'm a Ryobi guy and have several batteries and a charger. Cordless Dewalt would put me into a whole new tool infrastructure. Might be worth it.

@Muphasta , I agree about buying what I can afford. I'm starting to see though that for routers, there's light-weight, light-duty and then heavier-duty. I would probably appreciate a smaller and lighter-weight router for trim work, round-overs etc. but might need the occasional big tool for a bigger job. In other words, I could get the bigger tool and perhaps suffer with it on the small stuff (or maybe not, I don't know) or get the smaller tool and be under-powered for bigger stuff. I don't want to buy two so...decisions.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hmmm. I guess I do like the idea of going cordless. Right now I'm a Ryobi guy and have several batteries and a charger. Cordless Dewalt would put me into a whole new tool infrastructure. Might be worth it.

@Muphasta , I agree about buying what I can afford. I'm starting to see though that for routers, there's light-weight, light-duty and then heavier-duty. I would probably appreciate a smaller and lighter-weight router for trim work, round-overs etc. but might need the occasional big tool for a bigger job. In other words, I could get the bigger tool and perhaps suffer with it on the small stuff (or maybe not, I don't know) or get the smaller tool and be under-powered for bigger stuff. I don't want to buy two so...decisions.

If you use them often, which it sounds like you do, buy both.
If one absolutely has to do everything, get the big corded. Its way less convenient for small jobs but can do them.

Chris
post #14 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
If one absolutely has to do everything, get the big corded. Its way less convenient for small jobs but can do them.

Chris
Couldn't agree more, on both counts.
Muphasta likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #15 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post

Chris
Absolutely. You CAN do the small jobs with the big router, but you CANNOT easily do the big jobs with a too small router.

Good luck in your search!!
jujuman200 likes this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #16 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJones View Post
I own the Bosch and it is my favorite tool that I own. I can’t think of anything negative to say about it.
I second this!! It is awesome for pretty much everything I've thrown at it. And you will want some 1/2" bits once you start collecting (larger flush trim, larger roundovers, etc.)

I have ZERO negative impressions after having this router for 2 years.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I recently bought a DeWalt DW618PK and I've been very happy with it so far. It comes with a fixed base and plunge base with vacuum attachment. The vacuum attachment and the excellent reviews are the biggest reason I went this route, time will tell
post #18 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSC View Post
I recently bought a DeWalt DW618PK and I've been very happy with it so far. It comes with a fixed base and plunge base with vacuum attachment. The vacuum attachment and the excellent reviews are the biggest reason I went this route, time will tell

Thats the same one I’ve been eyeing, hopefully its a good one.

Chris
post #19 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:

Its funny, I've been using a $15 1/4" router for trim and small rounders from HF for a few years now but all of my other routers are large and corded. I use the big ones for all sorts of things that range from small inlays to flush trimming 1.5" stock.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all your help guys!

I went for the Bosch 1617EVSPK that comes with the plunger. I've never used a plunge router and never thought I'd need one but I already used it to cut strike plates for the deadbolt and door handle on the jamb I'm working on. I like this router; easy to handle. I was able to "free hand" the strike plate and hinge recesses by just going slow and easy. I wish it had a lock for the shaft so I didn't need to use two wrenches to replace the bit but it's no big deal (my old Ryobi has a lock). I'm a happy camper.
a77cj7, Heide264 and scottvalentin like this.
post #21 of 21 Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Should you decide to go big, the Milwaukee 5625 is a dream to use. All the power you'll ever need, but handles like a much smaller router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page