Need Help: Speaker Choice - DIY or No? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kpilk
  • 1 Post By lawdogx
  • 1 Post By Kpilk
  • 1 Post By alangsk

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need Help: Speaker Choice - DIY or No?

I am in the process of designing a dedicated theater (thread will be started soon). I picked up the following speakers over the holiday sale, but am trying to decide if I should keep them or go DIY.

Room size: 13.5x20x8.5

LR Speakers: Elac Debut 2.0 B6.5 (2)
Center: Elac Debut 2.0 C6.5 (1)
Surrounds: Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 (6)
Atmos: TBD (4)
Subs: Ported 15" (4)

I will have two rows of seats with surrounds on each side, surrounds in back and 4 Atmos speakers above.

Here is my dilemma, I am not an audiophile and have never had "great" speakers. The Elac’s sound great to me (at least the 3 fronts I have tested). They have very clear dialogue.
Based on reading these forums, I am now thinking about the following:

Speakers: DIYSG HT-10 (3)
Surrounds: DIYSG Volt-6 (6)
Atmos: DIYSG Volt-6 (4)
Subs: Ported 15" (4)

I really can’t spend any more than that. The HTMs are out of the price range.

Would the DIYSG setup really be that much better?

SDK Theater

Last edited by alangsk; 12-10-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Editorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Is there anyone in the Southwest Michigan area that has the DIYSG either HTs or HTMs that I would be able to listen to? I have not heard them, so I really don't know if or what I am missing out on.

SDK Theater
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Yes, it will sound that much better.

louder with lower distortion is always better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There are a couple of aspects to the DIY route. Do you enjoy building things? If so, then this is a real good place to have at it. The other is cost to payback factor, which obviously is a lot better with DIY.

In my limited experience, I guess that I can build something out of a kit (drivers & crossovers) for about half, or less than I can get by paying street price for something equivalent that's ready make. For a sub, I'd say about 1/3 the cost.

My first foray into this was building 4 Atmos from Zaph MTM kits and a sub that I did my own design work on that uses a UM18-22 driver in a ported 20 cu. ft. cabinet. The results are better than expected, especially for the sub.

I don't have experience with any DIYSG kits, but I bet if you put the money towards them you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by frankwp; 12-11-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1844 Post(s)
Liked: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsk View Post
Would the DIYSG setup really be that much better?
Yes.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #6 of 12 Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
Yes, it will sound that much better.

louder with lower distortion is always better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwp View Post
There are a couple of aspects to the DIY route. Do you enjoy building things? If so, then this is a real good place to have at it. The other is cost to payback factor, which obviously is a lot better with DIY.

In my limited experience, I guess that I can build something out of a kit (drivers & crossovers) for about half, or less than I can get by paying street price for something equivalent that's ready make. For a sub, I'd say about 1/3 the cost.

My first foray into this was building 4 Atmos from Zaph MTM kits and a sub that I did my own design work on that uses a UM18-22 driver in a ported 20 cu. ft. cabinet. The results are better than expected, especially for the sub.

I don't have experience with andy DIYSG kits, but I bet if you put the money towards them you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks. I really want to hear these HT-10s to be able to fully understand the difference. I am shy about spending the almost $200 apiece to test them.

As far as DIY, I love DIY and I build almost everything myself, so that part is not an issue.

SDK Theater
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I've had several sets of DIYSG wave guide kits and I don't think you can go wrong with the HT stuff. If I'm you I concentrate on getting the best front stage you can afford from DIYSG. IMO you go with the HT-12's for LCR and Volt 6 for the surrounds.
Get the assembled xovers and flat packs for the minimal costs involved.

Now the subs. Lot's of great DIY options out there. For HT I'm a big fan of bigger. I've gone from 10's to 18's to 21's and I get a kick out of what the bigger displacement can do. 4 ported 15's would be a good match for the HT12's.
alangsk likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpilk View Post
I've had several sets of DIYSG wave guide kits and I don't think you can go wrong with the HT stuff. If I'm you I concentrate on getting the best front stage you can afford from DIYSG. IMO you go with the HT-12's for LCR and Volt 6 for the surrounds.

Get the assembled xovers and flat packs for the minimal costs involved.

Now the subs. Lot's of great DIY options out there. For HT I'm a big fan of bigger. I've gone from 10's to 18's to 21's and I get a kick out of what the bigger displacement can do. 4 ported 15's would be a good match for the HT12's.

Thank you for the advice! Do the HTMs offer a substantial improvement over the HTs or do you think I would be quite happy with the HTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDK Theater
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Thank you for the advice! Do the HTMs offer a substantial improvement over the HTs or do you think I would be quite happy with the HTs?

I have 1099’s and HTM’s in my theater and elac l,c,r, and surround in my family room. The elac are very nice speakers and a good value for what they deliver, but the diysg speakers are in a different league. They play louder and cleaner, are much more dynamic, are WAY more sensitive, and image better. They’re also different animals, elacs are dome tweeters, HTM/HT are compression driver/waveguide. Only you can say if you prefer the sound of one over the other. For home theater I’d take the diysg offerings every time ... and I did.

As for HTM vs HT, I’ve never heard the HT’s to compare but there have been several GTG’s where all participants concluded that one would be hard pressed to tell them apart. I think you’d be very happy with the HT’s - and get the 12’s, they’re only $27 more than the 10’s. I’d also get HT 6’s for surrounds, they’re like $32 more expensive than volts and are a better speaker.
alangsk likes this.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

If you read the reviews on the HT and HTM's and Volts you get the same story over and over again. Price to performance is almost impossible to beat imo.

I built the Fusion 12's and replaced them with the Maxiums 12's. Both are remarkable speakers. I had the older Vibe-6's for surrounds which I replaced with Volt 10....very happy with the volts too.

The recurring theme with these pro-woofer, waveguide compression combos is 'clear, distortion free and LOUD! That is phase one of a fun home theater experience. Phase 2 is plenty of LFE. Multiple 15's fits the bill

Before I did the DIYSG I bought and sold retail speakers and it was always MEH...so glad I found the DIYSG stuff.

Email Erich at DIYSG and pick his brain a bit. Just looking at the website, based on what's available I'd order up 3 HT-12's and whatever Volt-6's you need. I always go with a pre-built xover and flat packs. Makes less time for the build and more time for listening and enjoying. Don't think you will be sorry at all.
alangsk likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
I have 1099’s and HTM’s in my theater and elac l,c,r, and surround in my family room. The elac are very nice speakers and a good value for what they deliver, but the diysg speakers are in a different league. They play louder and cleaner, are much more dynamic, are WAY more sensitive, and image better. They’re also different animals, elacs are dome tweeters, HTM/HT are compression driver/waveguide. Only you can say if you prefer the sound of one over the other. For home theater I’d take the diysg offerings every time ... and I did.

As for HTM vs HT, I’ve never heard the HT’s to compare but there have been several GTG’s where all participants concluded that one would be hard pressed to tell them apart. I think you’d be very happy with the HT’s - and get the 12’s, they’re only $27 more than the 10’s. I’d also get HT 6’s for surrounds, they’re like $32 more expensive than volts and are a better speaker.

Thank you, that is valuable input!

SDK Theater
post #12 of 12 Old 12-11-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I am going to order up some HT-12s, build them and do a comparison with the Elacs. Based on everything I have read I am sure the Elacs will probably be returning to the store.

18Hurts likes this.

SDK Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page