Full DIY Spare Bedroom Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Adam Whitlock
  • 1 Post By BCRSS

post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Full DIY Spare Bedroom Theater Build

First off, I want to thank everyone on AVS because this has been a long 2 year journey and I can't even believe how naive I was at the start. Most thanks goes to my buddy @biga6761 , who literally changed my life and outlook and saved me $1000's, humbly invited me into his home and put me on to diysg and steered me away from the disaster which is commercial speakers/subs. Second biggest thanks is to @BCRSS for also inviting me into his home and teaching me the beauty of setting everything up on a home server instead. Also very life changing. All of you forumers have been so helpful even in my time just lurking and not asking questions. So I figured I would pay it forward with all my new found knowledge and show what I've been working on. Honestly, this will be pretty long, but when I was doing all my research, I always loved finding these long detailed posts so I could soak up as much info as possible. So hopefully this will help someone one day as well. Also, noobs, don't be scared to reach out to forumers on here - most are very kind and helpful. Literally every person I reached out to personally changed my life and outlook for the better, so don't take that for granted!

I have a spare bedroom in my house, 10'5'' x 14'9''. I had a similar theater in my last house in a spare bedroom, and after my lessons learned, I was ready to start brand new and see what I could accomplish.

Spoiler!

Black Rug: $100something on Amazon. 8x11' This makes a huge difference in picture quality as opposed to white carpet. Highly recommended.
Subs: two custom Pierce Audio 21' mammoths that absolutely destroy their surroundings, powered by inuke6000 (need MOAR). And 2 not pictured sealed UM18s. I just need to get another amp for them and they will be vnf behind the chairs.
LCR (for now): 3 ported Volt 10's... meh, i have no complaints about them and they definitely deliver, but im more excited about upgrading my TBD LCR for something much juicier from diysg leaning towards HT-12's right now (overkill but so are my 21's idc). From what I read you just cant beat that value and waveguides are life changing so I'M READY. Open to suggestions though!
Surround: Volt 10's will move to the surrounds and I will purchase another to have full 7.x.x. Or I will sell them and get 8 HT-8s for full surround and atmos... undecided. Or just go all volt for surround and atmos but havent read enough to what would be better vs volts or HT's from diysg for surround duty. I've heard all waveguide surround is magical soooo... we'll see
Receiver: 9 channel Onkyo..meh. Will be upgraded to a 9ch Denon with pre outs to go full atmos eventually. but since i dont have the speakers, not necessary...yet.
Projector: ahhh.. my pride and joy. JVC X590R. I was very indecisive what to do here. Started with BenQ HT3550...TRASH. Seriously I hated it. And everything that I've done in this theater would be way harder without a power lens, trust me, splurge and get one with a power lense at least. Got an Epson 4010 for $1600, way better, then got an Epson 5050UB for $2800 to compare the two. 5050UB honestly wasnt that much better to my eyes and I wasnt blown away by either but they were both 1024938465293x better than the BenQ, not an exaggeration. Okay, BenQ isn't bad, but it is not meant for a dedicated theater like this by any stretch of the imagination. I decided to splurge and got the JVC for $3800 and MY GOD... every owner on this forum who has spewed praise and greatness about this projector thank you and it honestly wasnt enough praise - the JVC absolutely DESTROYS the Epson in every way, shape, and form. Sorry Epson owners, I used to be one of you but trust me, it is worth every penny. And take my word for it because my escapades cost me $750 in restocking fees at Best Buy When the room is completely blacked out like mine, the blacks are out of this world, AND THIS IS ON A $40 spandex screen!!! shoutout @MississippiMan for hooking me up with the JVC!

Spoiler!

I decided to go with a full spandex AT screen to hide all my stuff behind. You need black spandex for the back and then white spandex layered on top. I got mine from Hobby Lobby. It was $12.99/yd but Hobby Lobby always has huge sales so just wait on those honestly. Dont skimp the length just get extra and tighten it trust me.. You'll see the difference in the first pic vs the second when i splurged and got a long enough one.

Luckily my subs are big enough to allow my speakers to be about ear height. I used a TV table stand for the middle speaker also, if you look closely you can see I stapled the bottom of the spandex to that because I didnt have anywhere to staple it... this problem was solved later, keep reading!

Spoiler!

The blacker the theater... again a huge thank you to this forum for changing my life. If you haven't read that thread, do it. Black velvet is LIFE. I also got this from hobby lobby. Also $12.99/yd. It adds up if you do all the walls/ceilings. I cheaped out on other velvet there in my last theater so decided to splurge and do this one for the new theater and its night and day better. Biggest lesson - SPLURGE! And just do it right the first time, don't try to save a few bucks here by something of lesser quality. You can move it if you move too which is nice. 3yds for the walls and they are 5 ft wide so you should be able to cover a whole viewing area with 4 separate 3yd cuts of this black velvet, 6 if you want the WHOLE room. Then two 4yd cuts for the ceiling. It takes some finesse to get this perfect. Also, if you look at the bottom, it is very hard to get this lined up because gravity... so read on for my fix for this.

If you look at the bottom again, you'll see the spandex starts lifting in the middle left and middle right because there is nothing to attach it to.....

Spoiler!

VELCRO ADHESIVE!!!!!! 2" strips from Amazon. Yes lawd... My mom came up with this beautiful idea and it worked like a charm. I was able to mask my screen with the velcro and it made everything much easier.

2x4!!! If you look at the bottom now, I was able to lay a 2x4 across the top of my subs, use the velcro strips to attach them firmly to the subs, then staple the bottom of the spandex screen to the wood. Worked like a charm!! Oh yeah, everything is put up with a staple gun btw. Super clutch.

Spoiler!

If you look closely at the bottom you can see the 2x4 holdin down the fort. Now I just need to mask the bottom.

Spoiler!

TA-DA!!! Now I have a floating AT screen and blacked out theater all done with a few hundred dollars spent at hobby lobby and a staple gun and velcro adhesive to make it all come together. The appearance of a floating screen in nothingness is a spectacle for sure that I want everyone to experience. As you can see it's not done yet completely. I still need about 10yds of the velvet to completely encompass the viewing region. I also need chairs, which I will be picking up soon!

Spoiler!

Instead of mounting the projector I got this heavy duty 72'' tall shelf and put it on top of there. It is very stable and even survives the very intense black hole scene on Interstellar

Hope y'all enjoy!! I will post more pics as it comes together and as I start my speaker upgrades and room treatment.
tjambro, BCRSS and IAH like this.

Last edited by Adam Whitlock; 12-12-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spoiler tags for pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-12-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 519
It is really coming along @Adam Whitlock. I really like the blacked out room. Looking forward to what you decide on your next speakers.

I remember you asking to come over to see my 1299's and ended up talking mostly about how it was so easy for me to switch over to view everything from my phone. We ended up talking mostly about my Unraid server and networking , along with my Kodi front end.

Since your visit I have added my Atmos speakers (4 Volt 6's) to the ceiling and am now finishing up with four PA460's behind my seats incorporated into a counter. Should be a BIG Bang for the buck thing in my room.

Glad I could be of help and if you need other advise shoot me a pm or txt me. Have a safe Holiday Season.
Curt
chadsmith013 likes this.

post #3 of 4 Old 12-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Cool room!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
It is really coming along @Adam Whitlock. I really like the blacked out room. Looking forward to what you decide on your next speakers.

I remember you asking to come over to see my 1299's and ended up talking mostly about how it was so easy for me to switch over to view everything from my phone. We ended up talking mostly about my Unraid server and networking , along with my Kodi front end.

Since your visit I have added my Atmos speakers (4 Volt 6's) to the ceiling and am now finishing up with four PA460's behind my seats incorporated into a counter. Should be a BIG Bang for the buck thing in my room.

Glad I could be of help and if you need other advise shoot me a pm or txt me. Have a safe Holiday Season.
Curt
Thanks!! Yeah the 1099's are still in the debate for me for sure. I just wonder if they might be too tall if I put them on top of my subs to get the full effect. The top woofer will be well above ear height.. not sure how much that will hurt them.

Excited for you to start your black out process and hope you're loving the JVC upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Cool room!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
diy at screen , diy sub , diysg , jvc x590r , spandex screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page