Scan Speak Revelator 28W/4878T00 in Car? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeHolland
  • 1 Post By GeorgeHolland

post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Scan Speak Revelator 28W/4878T00 in Car?

I have a Scan Speak Revelator 28W/4878T00 and decided I would attempt building an enclosure and see how it would work in a car. I read plenty about how subwoofers designed for cars are not optimal for home but don’t know why a home designed subwoofer wouldn’t work well in a car.

It’s been awhile since I built a DIY speaker but I plan to get around to building a pair of nice 2 channel speakers or monitors in the next year or so.

For now I have been playing with building a stealth subwoofer enclosure for a 2016 BMW X6 F16. I’ll hold off on installing anything until late February after my warranty expires but started building the enclosure.

There is a hidden storage compartment in the back where a spare could be stored but I have run flats and have never used the space for anything. I have researched other installs and the light honeycomb cover doesn’t seem to block much if any bass from reaching the front cabin. With the cover down no one would ever know there was a subwoofer in the car. I would probably have to remove the WeatherTech cargo liner to help the subwoofer breath. This is a shallow space and most choose to use a shallow mount driver like the JL Audio 10TW3-D4 or 12TW3-D4.

Some remove the liner but I opted to leave it in. My job would have been easier if I took it out. The goal was to get as close to 1.5 cubic feet sealed while leaving enough room for at least one amplifier. I plan on replacing the stock amps, front door mids and tweeters as well as the underseat woofers. There is also a lot of room where the stock amp is.

Madisound recommends a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure for the 28W but says anything over 1 cu. ft. is acceptable. I am too lazy to do the math but I guess I ended up with around 1.3. I'll add plenty of stuffing. I was able to get 1 inch of clearance on the high side of the magnet but since the top slopes, a bit less on the low side.

I think I am close. I may need to sand down a few areas to make sure the enclosure doesn't touch any of the metal frame or secure it to the frame to minimize rattles. I was pretty nervous testing the first fit and needed to take some material off the back high end. A one inch round router bit did the trick. I may take it down a bit more with a sander. No issue since the top is a 1 1/2 inch MDF/Baltic birch sandwich. For some reason the high end doesn't fit flush to the floor. I cut the measurements extremely tight, pun intended.

Most choose to finish the enclosure with carpet that matches the cargo carpet but I’ve never tried that before and will need to research how to do it or just paint it a matching color.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X6_Sub_test3_1000p.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	2654802   Click image for larger version

Name:	X6 storage 1000p.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	2654804   Click image for larger version

Name:	X6_Sub_test4_1000p.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	2654806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Enclosure_4_72pi.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	2654808  

Last edited by GeorgeHolland; 12-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-29-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I painted it but may have it carpeted anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X6_Sub_painted_1000pi.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	2660930  
Trimlock likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looks great, be sure to check back in with your results once you hook it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Had it carpeted to match the storage area carpet. Installation is underway.

Made me think how effective that would be instead of satin or glossy finished speakers in my light controlled theater. There would be no reflections whatsoever.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X6 carpeted enclosure_640.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2674660  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-25-2020, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The liner in the storage compartment had to be removed in order to fit all the components, and it introduced a bit of vibration noise. Even though Madisound recommends a 1.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure, a sub is asked to do a bit more in a car and with cabin gain, my installer feels a 1 cubic foot box would work better. He was able to get the sub to bottom out but he was testing at volumes I would rarely if ever listen at.

They also recommended I add a vent/grill in the cover. I was hoping for a stealth OEM install but the vent/grill in the cover can be made to blend in and still allow you to through cargo over it. Most previous installers of X6/X5's don't feel it is necessary. As is, I think it sounds fantastic but will tweek it after a month or so if needed.

The only thing left stock is the BMW head unit and rear pillar speakers that are now tuned as rear fill.

BMW X6 F16, BMW Head Unit -> Helix SDMI25 -> Helix DSP Ultra, Amps – MMats HiFi-6150D & HiFi-4250D, Arc Audio KS125.4 Mini. Front Stage (FL/C/FR) Dyn Esotar 430, Dyn Esotec MD 102, under-seat woofers - Illusion Audio C8. Rear Stage - Morel Hybrid 402, Rear pillars - OEM. Sub - 11” ScanSpeak Rev 28W/4878T00 in 1.3 Cu ft sealed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	X6_Storage_Cover_1000p.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	2675764   Click image for larger version

Name:	X6_Storage_Sub_amp_1_1000p.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	2675766  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2020, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That's some nice gear. Looks like a clean/stealth install.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-27-2020, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 37
great install and great gear.. Did your installer tune it?

Sony 65inch 900F, Apple TV4k, Xbox one S, sonos 5.1,Marantz pm7000n, kEFLS50
post #8 of 16 Old 01-28-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denslayer View Post
great install and great gear.. Did your installer tune it?
Yes, I have two tunes. The just released Helix DSP Ultra introduced a number of enhanced features including RealCenter. I have the traditional Driver Seat tune plus a two-seat tune. With the Helix URC.3 I can toggle between the two and they both sound great from the driver seat and the two-seat tune should sound better from the passenger seat although I haven't sat there yet.

Thanks
post #9 of 16 Old 02-08-2020, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I painted it but may have it carpeted anyway.

That finish looks great. How did you do it?
post #10 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapio View Post
That finish looks great. How did you do it?
Sand, fill, sand, prime, spray. I also like to round off my corners and edges.

It was very cold in the garage and that made it more challenging. I use an old campbell hausfeld hvlp sprayer I bought to paint some molding when working on my house. I must have had it for over 20 years.

I used high quality satin paint from Sherman Williams, Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. It is water based but has a urethane type finish. Get it when on sale, like now, and even then it is expensive but worth it since it goes on right the first time with fewer coats.

Thank you.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looks great. How does it sound and does it get loud enough for your needs?
post #12 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiroh View Post
Looks great. How does it sound and does it get loud enough for your needs?
I am happy with it so far and can play it louder than I can stand to listen without issue and zero distortion that I can hear. There may still be some rattles when I really crank it but I can only stand it that loud for a couple minutes. Hard to single out what the sub adds since I also have a pair of 8-inch under-seat mid-woofers, active FL/C/FR mid/tweeter pairs, rear door passives and rear pillar fill.

Carnegie Hall on wheels 😊. Thanks.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What is your crossover point on those 8 inch mids? Do you feel having them under your seat impacts the sound quality?
post #14 of 16 Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiroh View Post
What is your crossover point on those 8 inch mids? Do you feel having them under your seat impacts the sound quality?
I assume an 8" would do much better in a door kick panel but under-seat is what BMW gives us to work with. That said, they sound very good and I'm sure a powerful DSP helps a lot.

The 8" HP is set at 200 and LP at 40, both with a 24db slope. I am waiting for the specs since this is a new version of the mid-woofer but I assume it rolls off a bit on its own as it approaches 40. The sub-woofer has a HP of 80.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
I use an old campbell hausfeld hvlp sprayer I bought to paint some molding when working on my house. I must have had it for over 20 years.

I used high quality satin paint from Sherman Williams, Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. It is water based but has a urethane type finish. Get it when on sale, like now, and even then it is expensive but worth it since it goes on right the first time with fewer coats.

Thank you.
I am considering using that paint on my new Cobalt build. I have a HomeRight Super Finish Max Fine Finish HVLP sprayer. I have seen comments online that this paint is hard to apply. Did you dilute it and do you think it is a difficult paint to use?
post #16 of 16 Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapio View Post
I am considering using that paint on my new Cobalt build. I have a HomeRight Super Finish Max Fine Finish HVLP sprayer. I have seen comments online that this paint is hard to apply. Did you dilute it and do you think it is a difficult paint to use?
I asked at the store if I should thin it before spraying and was told it wasn't needed so I didn't. I thought it went on easy and didn't drip at all on the sides. Leveling was very good while not perfectly smooth but I actually prefer that with satin. I should have waited until it warmed up but even in a cold garage it worked well. I would use it again.
tapio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page