AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   Step By Step 21" GSG Devastator Build Tutorial (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3110818-step-step-21-gsg-devastator-build-tutorial.html)

nexus99 12-21-2019 04:45 PM

Step By Step 21" GSG Devastator Build Tutorial

It took forever to get my hands on the Eminence driver.... but here is the final result.
This thing is an absolute MONSTER.
Kudos to the GSG team for making the build process as easy as it could be!

This show every step of construction with video matched to the instruction book pages.
EQ and HPF video is in the works along with REW in room measurements (GSG has the true open air frequency response measurements already available and Databass has the driver measurements available.)

Final thoughts.... worth it.

lawdogx 12-21-2019 05:32 PM

Well done video and nice looking sub! Enjoyed the tips and tricks too. Looking forward to the EQ and integration!

nexus99 12-21-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdogx (Post 58988560)
Well done video and nice looking sub! Enjoyed the tips and tricks too. Looking forward to the EQ and integration!

Thanks! This kit really does make it easy.

Samps 12-21-2019 06:44 PM

Nice video! Is that the original sub or did you get a replacement?

I bet GSG removes the 2 from that panel or at least shrinks it. Might be better to have it on the other side inside the port.

A brad nailer would have made it so much easier though. And you don’t have to wait for glue to dry before you can move on.

nexus99 12-21-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samps (Post 58988770)
Nice video! Is that the original sub or did you get a replacement?

I bet GSG removes the 2 from that panel or at least shrinks it. Might be better to have it on the other side inside the port.

A brad nailer would have made it so much easier though. And you don’t have to wait for glue to dry before you can move on.

That is the original sub. Its banged up pretty good but I was able to get all the silicon out of the connector. As long as its hidden in the box it doesn't make me too sad. I talked to GSG about the 2. I think they will make it small but I don't think they can cut on both sides of the panel in order to completely hide it.

I'm not a brad nail guy...I prefer to glue-clamp build. There was a big flame war on facebook about glue vs nails a while back! Who knew it was so polarizing!

Kothoga 12-21-2019 07:06 PM

Can you tell me the thickness of the front panel?

Samps 12-21-2019 09:09 PM

I didn’t think about the CNC only cutting on one side. Maybe they could put the 2 in the dado groove.

nexus99 12-22-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kothoga (Post 58988870)
Can you tell me the thickness of the front panel?

I can measure that for you!

nexus99 12-22-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samps (Post 58989204)
I didn’t think about the CNC only cutting on one side. Maybe they could put the 2 in the dado groove.

I think that is a great idea! I am sure they are following this thread!

lawdogx 12-22-2019 08:18 AM

That number 2 thing turned out to be more of a concern in theory than practice. It got my attention during assembly but I’ve noticed it exactly zero times while using the subs. This discussion actually reminded me of it again and I had to go in the theater room and look. Inside 3 or 4 feet, if the light is direct and I’m looking for the number I do see it. Other than that it’s a non issue for me. Then again, my subs are black, my theater does not have bright, direct light and my deva’s are off in back corners.

nexus99 12-22-2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawdogx (Post 58990270)
That number 2 thing turned out to be more of a concern in theory than practice. It got my attention during assembly but I’ve noticed it exactly zero times while using the subs. This discussion actually reminded me of it again and I had to go in the theater room and look. Inside 3 or 4 feet, if the light is direct and I’m looking for the number I do see it. Other than that it’s a non issue for me. Then again, my subs are black, my theater does not have bright, direct light and my deva’s are off in back corners.

Right on. Mine is behind my sofa so I cant see it either.
I must say this sub is really impressive. It has that big strong subwoofer sound I like. Its very muscular. I watched Hustler tonight and the music was really going off!

nexus99 12-28-2019 06:48 PM

And the instructions for the HPF and EQ:

nexus99 01-11-2020 03:30 PM

And my thoughts after living with the Devastator for a while.