post #1 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Micro Dev's..

Hey guys, long time lurker here lol
In my space, I'll have just enough room for the micro Dev's between my LCR's
Just trying to get opinions here on which driver would be better suited for both the size of the room, and available amplifier power I have now.
Room is approx. 12'6" wide, 22 ft long.
Available amp on hand, Emotiva Xpa2 Gen2 monoblock. I believe 600 watts @8 ohms, and I think 900-1000 watts @4 ohms.(I will be purchasing a mini dsp eventually, need to research that one some more too)
Ok, here's the question.. Would the cheaper Dayton PA-360 be sufficient, or would I be left underwhelmed, and should spring for the Lavoce waf154's?
I may upgrade amp later if need be. But if the Dayton's provide enough for this size room, kinda seems like a waste to go with the Lavoce's and a bigger amp. Opinions, concerns?? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should provide a more detailed equipment list, might help.
Receiver= Anthem mrx-720
LCR = Htm 12's
Surround = Volt 6, version 2
Atmos = (4) Volt 6,version 2
All of the above speakers are powered by the Anthem... For now
Subwoofers= (2) Dayton infinite baffle subs (no longer available, forget the exact model number) they're installed in an infinite baffle manifold enclosure, installed in the floor,powered by another Emotiva Xpa 2 Gen2 monoblock.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Micro Dev's..

Well, as you know, I built the micros with the Lavoce 15’s, and I feed them each a channel of a 20k clone. So at least 2000 watts a piece, and they complement my 8 18’s in my room. If you are planning on using the micros for midbass to add to your IB setup, dsp is a must. It will not be a plug and play thing. I had to tweak and play with distance settings and highpass/low pass for the two way sub setup. Of course with that comes a measurement mic and REW. I guess what I’m getting at is the less powerful sub will probably work for you, as you don’t have as much low end to complement with midbass, and 1000 watts will probably be enough too, for now. But don’t build anything if your not gonna go for the dsp and measurement mic.
Edit- your IB subs are the Dayton IB385-8 iirc. I had 6. They were fun. And our rooms are the exact same size, just for reference.
Soloact and jujuman200 like this.

Last edited by Jk7.2; 12-23-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your commenting Jared. I do plan on using them for midbass impact. And I knew I needed a mini dsp, just haven't researched which one yet. I already have the mini dsp mic for measuring, unfortunately I don't have a laptop yet to run REW( nor the experience to run the program).
As I said on the phone, I do plan on upgrading those Infinite baffle subs one day. They sound decent, just want more lol. I am limited on space, unfortunately, so some things I can change, and somethings, well, may call for some design changes lol.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Everything is a compromise in home theater it seems like. If you could get away with the full range devs (or narrow mini) I would consider that first. I built two mini narrow Devs loaded with just the pa460s and I only feed them 300w each. I think these are a great starter/upgrade later subwoofer. Two of the pa460 devs are pretty good and I don’t think you will be disappointed at all BUT..... If you do go this route consider either building two more with the pa460s or upgrading to the lavoce drivers later. Four of these IMHO with any driver placed one in each corner of the room would be adequate for any theater and four with the upgraded drivers will crack walls (just guessing) and this is why I’m okay with just the pa460 Devs although I have two other horns up front of my room too. BTW - I feel like they have a great natural low end roll off too so for me the <20hz game is BOSS material all the way, Less fighting of intergration problems. I also run my xo at 80hz with my htm12’s, I had it lower but the horns do such a great job there is no need to make the htm’s work that hard. It is a great combo.
Soloact likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Everything is a compromise in home theater it seems like. If you could get away with the full range devs (or narrow mini) I would consider that first. I built two mini narrow Devs loaded with just the pa460s and I only feed them 300w each. I think these are a great starter/upgrade later subwoofer. Two of the pa460 devs are pretty good and I don’t think you will be disappointed at all BUT..... If you do go this route consider either building two more with the pa460s or upgrading to the lavoce drivers later. Four of these IMHO with any driver placed one in each corner of the room would be adequate for any theater and four with the upgraded drivers will crack walls (just guessing) and this is why I’m okay with just the pa460 Devs although I have two other horns up front of my room too. BTW - I feel like they have a great natural low end roll off too so for me the <20hz game is BOSS material all the way, Less fighting of intergration problems. I also run my xo at 80hz with my htm12’s, I had it lower but the horns do such a great job there is no need to make the htm’s work that hard. It is a great combo.
I appreciate the input. Here's my only caveat without having to rebuild/ redesign things now. I literally have 18.25" wide, and 22" deep to play with. I have more height obviously to play with, but unless I'm mistaken, the micro was the only one that would just barely fit. The Htm-12's are behind my AT screen. And I'd like to keep things hidden for, well, that initial shock value when the theater is cranked up lol. Maybe I missed something, I'll look over the full range and mini again. As far as two more in the rear of the room, I'd LOVE to. Trying to squeeze them in would be the challenge. The front door is there, as soon as you walk in, the sectional sofa is on the right, and I have to keep a path way for my girlfriend's gma that lives with us (wheelchair).
Side note: Gma went to bed (Gma is almost deaf, you have to talk loud when speaking to her), we rented AdAstra.. the next morning she asked what in the world that loud noise was the night before, and that it shook the house.. We told her it was the movie.. She didn't believe it was that that shook the house lol And I was no where near reference either. Boy she gonna be in for a surprise lol

post #7 of 7 Old 12-25-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloact View Post
Atmos = (4) Volt 6,version 2
Edit:
The Atmos are powered by my old Harmon Kardon receiver.
Sorry for the confusion, I just didn't want someone to think the mrx-720 could power all four Atmos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page