How to accommodate 10" tall center speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
How to accommodate 10" tall center speaker

Now that I think I have decided on DIYSG Cobalt 8 for LCR, I have a hard time figuring out how to accommodate the 10" tall center speaker under our living room TV without mounting the TV too high. Floor to bottom of TV is now 26" and it would require mounting the TV at 34" from the floor with the current cabinet which is a bit high even if the TV is tilted down. I could chop off the legs of the cabinet or get a real low profile cabinet or stand, but then the receiver is almost at the floor level which is not optimal. The LR speakers will be on floor stands taking up some space too.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9813.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2668344  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The tv looks like an LG which can be wall mounted. Would it be an option to ditch the cabinet, mount the tv on the wall and place the receiver either outside of the viewing area entirely, or between the center and left/right speaker?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Remember when you sit on the couch, your head is often tilted up a little. My 55" is 32" from the floor and my horizontal line of view is to the TV's lower 1/3, but since I rest my head on the top of the couch, am actually looking up a bit.

Many options, just depends how much work u wanna put into it, to get it exactly what you prefer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 141
With that narrow listening space you could just use 2 for L&R and experiment with positioning and toe-in until you get a good phantom centre image.

Last edited by niterida; 01-11-2020 at 05:51 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijansch View Post
The tv looks like an LG which can be wall mounted. Would it be an option to ditch the cabinet, mount the tv on the wall and place the receiver either outside of the viewing area entirely, or between the center and left/right speaker?
LG yes. It is going onto the wall. Yes I have been playing with the possibilities to have the receiver on the sides somewhere. Cabling is a concern too as it should be somewhat hidden.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
With that narrow listening space you could just use 2 for L&R and experiment with positioning and toe-in until you get a good phantom centre image.
People say the center in home theater is the most important speaker so I am feeling I should have it. Dialog etc. The space is a bit over 10 feet so not super narrow.

Last edited by tapio; 01-11-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Additional sentence
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Remember when you sit on the couch, your head is often tilted up a little. My 55" is 32" from the floor and my horizontal line of view is to the TV's lower 1/3, but since I rest my head on the top of the couch, am actually looking up a bit.

Many options, just depends how much work u wanna put into it, to get it exactly what you prefer.
I am going to try to prop up the TV and see how high it can be to our liking. Just need to find some sturdy stuff to put under it
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2020, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapio View Post
People say the center in home theater is the most important speaker so I am feeling I should have it. Dialog etc. The space is a bit over 10 feet so not super narrow.

Set your receiver to Centre = No and all the centre channel info is sent to your L & R instead.
Position your L & R correctly to get a good phantom image and you won't even know there is no physical centre speaker.

The only issue with a phantom centre is the further you move away from central listening position the less you hear the phantom image.

I ran a phantom centre in my old room with the L&R approx 10' apart and it sounded better than with a physical centre.
Try it and see - you may be surprised.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Set your receiver to Centre = No and all the centre channel info is sent to your L & R instead.
Position your L & R correctly to get a good phantom image and you won't even know there is no physical centre speaker.

The only issue with a phantom centre is the further you move away from central listening position the less you hear the phantom image.

I ran a phantom centre in my old room with the L&R approx 10' apart and it sounded better than with a physical centre.
Try it and see - you may be surprised.
I see what you are saying. But I think the HT police is not going to be happy without a center
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Raise the tv by mounting it. Or run a small speaker stand in front on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page