Rebuilding Roland MA-8 Studio Monitors - 4" and 1.2" replacements? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2020, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rebuilding Roland MA-8 Studio Monitors - 4" and 1.2" replacements?

I have a pair of old Roland MA-8 Studio Monitors, and the speakers are blown. Can anybody recommend a decent go-to replacement speaker brand (and/or website) that's commonly used to buy replacement speakers? I want to see if it's worth it to swap in new speakers or just buy a new set of these off eBay. They aren't exactly high-end, 8 watts at 4Ω, so something inexpensive is perfect, but I want to make sure what I get won't be garbage at least. Manufacturer specs:

RATED POWER OUTPUT 8W + 8W
– SPEAKERS 10cm (4″) Woofer, 3 cm (1.2) Cone tweeter Magnetically shielded
– FREQUENCY RESPONSE 80Hz – 18kHz
– POWER CONSUMPTION 0.3A (AC 117v), 31 W (AC 230V)

Here's an album of pictures I took: https://imgur.com/a/1aRymDg. The mounting holes aren't quite 4" - I don't know if that's just how a 4" speaker is measured or what. Tweeter has a 4.7uf 50v cap on it - doesn't say what ohm those tweeters are either (assuming 4Ω as well?).

Any help is appreciated. These are only maybe $75 shipped on eBay, but if I can give them some more life for a couple bucks I would rather fix them than throw them away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No replies so far, and I'm still a bit lost, but I was looking into getting a pair of Dayton 4" speakers, maybe the full-range RS100-4's:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-378

I wouldn't need to replace or even use the tweeter then since these are full-range, correct?

I would have to take some more accurate measurements then match it up to the diagrams they have. These screw holes are only into plastic so I can't easily move them (without doing something creative with bondo or fiberglass or something). Would have to see how close (or far) away the volume measurements are, and these Roland speakers are currently ported (I don't know enough to see if that's a big detriment or what).

My biggest concern is if I'm wasting money on these speakers if they can't be powered by the VERY small 8w amp the Roland's already have inside them.

Any advice is welcome.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
No replies so far, and I'm still a bit lost, but I was looking into getting a pair of Dayton 4" speakers, maybe the full-range RS100-4's:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-378

I wouldn't need to replace or even use the tweeter then since these are full-range, correct?

I would have to take some more accurate measurements then match it up to the diagrams they have. These screw holes are only into plastic so I can't easily move them (without doing something creative with bondo or fiberglass or something). Would have to see how close (or far) away the volume measurements are, and these Roland speakers are currently ported (I don't know enough to see if that's a big detriment or what).

My biggest concern is if I'm wasting money on these speakers if they can't be powered by the VERY small 8w amp the Roland's already have inside them.

Any advice is welcome.
The answer is yes and no as to your inital post. Could you swap a same sized speaker for the blown one, sure, will it work AND sound good maybe maybe not. Ideally you would want to replace the speaker with a speaker with same specs. There are a lot of variable in play other than just speaker and amp size. The size of the cabinet, the crossover is there is one and if it is passive or active. The common wisdom is it's a bad idea unless you can find an identical replacement speaker. It does not appear these have been made in a long time, the Roland website shows 1996 on the brochure. If you just want to have a little experiment and see what happens go for it. From a little looking on Part Express the cheapest woofer they have that will fit, that is just FIT is about $9, and as for the tweeter they don't have a same size replacement for a 4.7 cm tweeter. If your serious and want good results almost everyone here will tell you don't bother, there are to many variables that will affect it, but if you want to play around go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page