AVS Forum banner

DIYSG 1099's vs Klipsch RF-7 III?

6K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  klipsch 
#1 ·
Which do you guys think would, overall, sound better?

#2 ·
Depends, are you looking for high sensitivity from 80hz on up or are you looking for stand alone towers that have decent extension?

I like the RF’s and RP’s but for movies the 1099’s would do much better IMO (if you had a sub).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Depends, are you looking for high sensitivity from 80hz on up or are you looking for stand alone towers that have decent extension?

I like the RF’️s and RP’️s but for movies the 1099’️s would do much better IMO (if you had a sub).

Not looking for full range towers, they'd only need to go down to about 70-80hz. I have heard the 1099 don't go down very deep, which is strange, as the enclosures are huge and ported, and have 12" woofers.

#5 ·
You must know how subjective this question is.

Reactions: tarponater
#6 ·
Which do you guys think would, overall, sound better?

You must know how subjective this question is.

might as well ask the room which speakers it would be happier with . .

#16 ·
Before his passing he would list his speakers with corner loading, not like they were absolutely lying seeing their competitors were doing much worse.
I was a fan of PWK for a long time*, and without specific examples to back your claim up, I'm thinking you're in line for one of his yellow badges.

Corner loading only increases sensitivity below baffle step for conventional speakers, so using it to increase the full range sensitivity is simply lying.

* I wasn't a massive fan of many of his speakers, even though I owned several over the years.

#11 ·
Blake, post your general location and see if someone is close by that has a pair and is willing to let you audition them. I have heard the 1099's and they sounded very bright (non padded) and paired well with the LaVoce 21"s. Another local guy is building a pair and is going to pad them down and we will do a side by side soon. I would have no issues recommending them as long as you have or are planning to get subwoofers to fill out the bottom end.

#12 ·
My KLF30's are very bright. I've heard Klipsch toned down their high end recently. Unfortunately I never did bring the KLFs into the theater for a comparison with the 1099s. I will try tonight if the shipping company is a little late. As for the brightness of the 1099s, I haven't really listened to any of my regular go to songs. Maybe #chadsmith013 can chime in, he heard them Sunday. They do sound good though.

#14 ·
Re 1099 brightness … much is personal taste. One man's bright is another man's perfect. When I first built a 1099 center to dip my toe into DIY it was bright to my ear. However, I do not listen through an AT screen and my preference is for a more neutral to slightly bright speaker for HT.

1099's have an HF pad that engages a resister and brings down the highs a bit. You put a little jumper wire on the pad and the result is that it just "takes the edge off" of the brightness. Many who listen through an AT screen prefer the jumper pad not engaged. Others rig little switches so they can flip back and forth between engaged and not. I heard it both ways and preferred the resister engaged. For movies and with multiple subs I find the 1099's to be fantastic … for my tastes, in my room, for my listening habits and material. As always YMMV

#22 ·
which would cost you more? klipsch can sound really freaking awesome...so diy would mean satisfaction or really sounding better. idk why klipsch gets dragged in mud...they really do sound great with movies and music which is fundamentally recorded wrong like led zep.

#23 ·
idk why klipsch gets dragged in mud
How about reading the thread? No one has said they sound bad, only that they lie about their specs. Sheesh.

#25 ·
As someone who had a theater that included KLF20s, 10s a C7 and some small Klipsch bookshelves that sold everything to buy 1299s, buy the 1099s. I loved my KLFs...they sounded great and absolutely rocked as a HT setup. But, they don’t come close to the 1099s in terms of sound quality. I heard the 1099s first - and was floored by how they sounded. I and was originally planning on those until the 1299s came out.

I also have original Heresys which are currently sitting unused. My dad bought them in 85. So, I’ve had them for a long time and will never sell them. I love how they sound. But, I’d never swap them out for my 1299s.

I’ve also owned several other Klipsch speakers.

My point is I’ve owned lots of older Klipsch. And, I’ve heard the new stuff. Nothing compares to the 99s...IMVHO

#26 ·
#27 ·
A few years back I did a blind direct comparison of the original rf7s and the 1099s. I much preferred the rf7s with no subs and still preferred the rf7s when both were crossed at 80hz with subs. That said, comparing the cinema 88s directly to the rf7s with both crossed at 80hz had a clear winner (not the rf7s). That blind test resulted in me buying 4 cinema 88s. I guess I'm one of the few that have not been impressed by the 1099s,. However, I would buy the cinema 88s over the klipsch rf7s all day if crossing with subs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.