EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 389Likes

post #361 of 446 Old 03-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I guess I might as well ask, I believe the $30 deal was a Black Friday thing, but does anyone know of a better deal than $43 per driver presently? $45 works for me, just checking if anyone knows of a still existing $30 odd dollar deal that is still alive.
Thanks

Paradigm 11se mk3, Paradigm Studio Monitor 100 original version with matching center, 5 Adcom 565's, 2 Adcom 585's, 4 Adcom 555's, HK PT2300, Acurus ACT3, 6 Wharfedale Sapphire 89's with dual 6" woofers, 6" mid, and 1".
Home Theater build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 446 Old 03-03-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilleril View Post
I guess I might as well ask, I believe the $30 deal was a Black Friday thing, but does anyone know of a better deal than $43 per driver presently? $45 works for me, just checking if anyone knows of a still existing $30 odd dollar deal that is still alive.
Thanks

Follow the JBL Black Friday thread. When they drop to $30 you will know and you will have to move fast. $43 is a decent price when they are not on sale.

This is the way...
Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Dual Mini Devastator Build
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | CTS 2000 | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #363 of 446 Old 03-03-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Follow the JBL Black Friday thread. When they drop to $30 you will know and you will have to move fast. $43 is a decent price when they are not on sale.
Thanks for the tip, I have located and subscribed to that thread. Thanks to you and others for coming up and with and testing such a nice design to take advantage of these low cost drivers. I am still waiting on confirmation from the wood shop teacher that he is happy for my son to take on this project. He might think I am insane now, little does he know that I really want more than just one.
jujuman200 likes this.

Paradigm 11se mk3, Paradigm Studio Monitor 100 original version with matching center, 5 Adcom 565's, 2 Adcom 585's, 4 Adcom 555's, HK PT2300, Acurus ACT3, 6 Wharfedale Sapphire 89's with dual 6" woofers, 6" mid, and 1".
Home Theater build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...t-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 446 Old 03-03-2020, 03:39 PM

The wood shop teacher called today and was OK with working with my son to build this beast, so off we go. Of course it will be a few months before it's done.

post #365 of 446 Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
The wood shop teacher called today and was OK with working with my son to build this beast, so off we go. Of course it will be a few months before it's done.

Let the slave labor begin. JK. This should be a very fun project for them to build.
post #366 of 446 Old 03-04-2020, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 109
QUESTION @a77cj7

After playing around with the pillows, am I correct in thinking that two vertical pillows is the best approach? If so, how would you modify the bracing?

I have completed one cabinet except installing the bracing and the two rear covers. I know you just stuffed the pillows in there and had some concerns with specific location & port interaction. I thought I would ask before putting the bracing in.
post #367 of 446 Old 03-04-2020, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDOC View Post
QUESTION @a77cj7

After playing around with the pillows, am I correct in thinking that two vertical pillows is the best approach? If so, how would you modify the bracing?

I have completed one cabinet except installing the bracing and the two rear covers. I know you just stuffed the pillows in there and had some concerns with specific location & port interaction. I thought I would ask before putting the bracing in.

Yes, two vertical pillows tested best.

No bracing mod needed. Just staple/screw the pillows on. I’d keep the bottom of the pillow at the lower bracing, keeps it away from the port mouth.

Chris
post #368 of 446 Old 03-04-2020, 07:48 AM

THANK YOU!

I have been doing a little bit at a time, the other box is all cut & ready to assemble. I did get in too big of a hurry and put pocket screw holes in the front side of the baffle on one. Also: I didn't think about the lower exposure of the horn, so I have visible holes there. I plugged them with the Kreg wooden pieces and sanded. Still need to fill them and clean it up. Overall this wasn't bad. I would say that pocket screws + PL3 make for a bit of movement in assembly. I will add more blocks and clamps when assembling the second one. It is nice having the screws holding it together so more assembly can be done rather than waiting on glue to dry.

I also realized that by rear mounting the drivers, no gasket is required. There is enough 'give' for a good seal.
post #369 of 446 Old 03-04-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
Let the slave labor begin. JK. This should be a very fun project for them to build.
Slave labor, I wish! I have to pay him for his services. On a positive note learning value of money and all that.

post #370 of 446 Old 03-08-2020, 12:42 PM

My son wants a bass guitar, so now he is building two so I pay him enough money to buy one.

I just bought the wood and set it to be delivered to the school. I don't own a truck and by the time I rent one and skip work for a couple of hours, it just makes more sense to have them deliver the wood.

My son used a cut list optimizer web site to put the cut list onto wood. I should probably check that he entered all the dimensions correctly....

post #371 of 446 Old 03-10-2020, 08:31 AM

Just ordered 10 JBL drivers for 43.03 per, with tax and shipping on ebay.

I figured that would give me cushion for accidents, either in transit or install. If they all survive then maybe an under seat sub or two.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

post #372 of 446 Old 03-10-2020, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 178
@a77cj7

Very cool thread I have just stumbled onto!! Very nice implementation sir!! Fun read.
I do not have the expertise to know the things that you know, but I do have a pair of JBL 2269H's that might be good in a dev.

Anyways... strap the quad into the CJ, hook up the 1000W car amp and head to Moab, and lets take a break from speakers and do some rock crawling!! I have a place for you to stay!! EJS 2020 is April 4-12th!

BP1Fanatic and a77cj7 like this.

Last edited by Lynkage; 03-10-2020 at 10:07 PM.
post #373 of 446 Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM

Well, somehow I just deleted what I had written (and 'undo' won't bring it back!), but that's okay. I was just commenting that I checked in here to verify the pillows before I buttoned this thing up and connected it to an electronic voltage multiplication device. I was pondering how much things had changed from a month ago when this thread was the MAIN FOCUS for me for several days! Now, with the virus stuff going on, I have a sense of obligation as a physician who is a committed follower of Christ, that I learn and understand as much as I can to be able to offer support, advice, or whatever care I can, both in physical space as well as in the online realm. But I DO get to play with my theater stuff a little

I ended up not adding my 240v 20a circuit as I am not sure WHERE I want the power outlet, as I am going to reorient the theater from "wide" to "deep" (22' x 16.5') and also WHERE I am want to place 2 mini-Marty subs, two HE-15 / SLAPS-M12 subs, and two Quad JBLDevs. But I can still wheel the first of my QJD subs in and plug it up. I am absolutely TOTALLY IN LOVE with using the Neutrik connectors, it is SO MUCH EASIER than dealing with huge wire on terminals. Makes swapping subs a piece of cake.

Stay safe out there, my friends. Be mindful, even if you are not concerned about your OWN health with this virus, you do NOT want to be a disease vector for Grandma, Mom, or Aunt Bessie. As an extremely healthy and fit "over 60" I don't worry about my own health, either ... but I truly want to do EVERYTHING I can to care for others as we are trying to get a handle on this disease. This forum is a MARVELOUS OUTLET, and I am grateful for many of you. Chris @a77cj7 , as I read back through this I am once again smiling HUGELY about all you did for us. My piddling little monetary contribution pales in comparison. Again, let me thank you, my friend. Red ... hope that baby & momma continue to do well in the weeks ahead. I have a dear friend whose wife is approaching full term, and we have talked about when her OB needs to go ahead and induce. Given the POTENTIAL disruption to hospitals, this is something to pay some attention to.

Okay, off with my stapler, screw the back on, and get the hand truck in motion! No measurements at the moment, although I suppose it is time to plug in the calibration for the UMIK-1 and just get familiar with REW. It is odd how much I have been derailed the past several weeks. Again, Home Theater is a GREAT distraction ... and we don't mind staying at home for movies, eh?!
post #374 of 446 Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:

I ended up not adding my 240v 20a circuit as I am not sure WHERE I want the power outlet, as I am going to reorient the theater from "wide" to "deep" (22' x 16.5')
You can put two outlets per circuit, one in each location, not limiting yourself to either location. Or if you have the space in your panel, you can put a circuit and outlet in each possible location! This could also cover you if you really get the bass sickness and need to add another high powered amp. The obvious goal would be one (or more) 240V outlet per wall with the realization that when your bass sickness gets to it's final stage you have the ability to put large subwoofer installs on all four walls.

Don't get me wrong, I have seriously considered just placing a 125amp panel next to my rack of amps to power them all. If I had more wall space available near my rack I would have done that already. As an alternative I have considered putting a NEMA14-50 outlet above my rack and then building a power distribution unit with fuses and staggered startup relays in it to power my amps. The only issue with that is 240V at 50 amps is potentially not quite enough for my long term plans!

Everyone be safe, stay home and watch movies if you can. Or stay home and build subwoofer cabinets (like me)

post #375 of 446 Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
You can put two outlets per circuit, one in each location, not limiting yourself to either location. Or if you have the space in your panel, you can put a circuit and outlet in each possible location! This could also cover you if you really get the bass sickness and need to add another high powered amp. The obvious goal would be one (or more) 240V outlet per wall with the realization that when your bass sickness gets to it's final stage you have the ability to put large subwoofer installs on all four walls.

Don't get me wrong, I have seriously considered just placing a 125amp panel next to my rack of amps to power them all. If I had more wall space available near my rack I would have done that already. As an alternative I have considered putting a NEMA14-50 outlet above my rack and then building a power distribution unit with fuses and staggered startup relays in it to power my amps. The only issue with that is 240V at 50 amps is potentially not quite enough for my long term plans!

Everyone be safe, stay home and watch movies if you can. Or stay home and build subwoofer cabinets (like me)
Yes, there are always options. However, there are limits to what is necessary or even usable. When I designed and then built this house 20 yrs ago, I decided that I would put the theater in the central 'main living room' as others would use it. I wired 7 channels for surround, 20a circuits, and even power + conduit to the ceiling for a future projector. This is not a concrete basement, but a room that has MBR behind one wall, large opening to 2 story foyer on the front side, large opening to kitchen + family room to 3rd side, with the back wall to a screened porch. There are practical limits to how much acoustical energy can be utiltized. The FP22000q will always be more than enough. There is a difference between building an exceptional sound system and compulsive 'upgraditis' that knows no limits. I have followed such folly with car projects and have learned, in the same way that ends up as a terminal condition for some drug addicts, an insatiable appetite is insanity.

As it stands, in this room there are 2 mini-Martys (UM18-22), 1 HE-15 PR sub & 1 QJDev (with another of each of these already cut & awaiting assembly), PLUS the 'ultimate commercial sub' from 15 yrs ago, an eDesign A7-900 (with one driver needing repair). There is no way that all of this could be used without literally shaking things to pieces. For years, I had the issue of things falling off a counter in the MBath from just the A7-900. A theater in the basement would be different ... but all of this is > enough.

I write these words NOT to attack those who are 'over the top' but more of an encouragement to MOST readers on this forum. This can be like building a nice 500rwhp turbo car, and then reading a length description of a project and looking at dyno sheets showing >800 rwhp. The fantasies can take off, but many of us are vulnerable to a sense of dissatisfaction that, for example 500hp isn't enough. Now if your goal is running at the strip, okay. But when a car can break the tires loose at 60mph, that IS enough horsepower, it really is! Actually it is getting tangled up in this 'chasing after more' that motivated the purchase of the A7-900 when they came out. I didn't like the performance of the HE-15 with the original PRs, had a "little" 15" sealed Dayton w/ 1000w that was 'okay', and was CONSTANTLY considering new builds. My late wife & I agreed that buying the A7-900 would handle the subwoofer chores and that would be that. And for years it was (although that is REALLY when the horsepower bug bit me!).

Guys, seek some contentment in everything that you do. ENJOY your theater! I have noticed that there are some who are so focused on various tweaks to their display device (or some aspect of the video transfer) that they CANNOT ENJOY THE MOVIE! What is so interesting to me is that I can watch an old film on DVD, sure it is upscaled but NOTHING like a good 4k transfer, and get LOST in the movie! Now I also realize that FOR ME, the visceral sensed from LFE in movies makes a huge difference, as does 120" image size, for me to get caught up in the movie.

Building subs is fun. Planning and designing theater is fun. But STOP & SMELL THE ROSES! Enjoy your theater WITH SOMEONE YOU LOVE (trust me, as a widowed man, that is what I miss the most).

Sorry for getting too philosophical, but our world is turning upside down with this pandemic. Things will not be the same when this has run its course. Spend a little time in self-examination & reflection. Consider what matters.
DigiWega and jujuman200 like this.
post #376 of 446 Old 03-19-2020, 09:50 AM

A friend of a friend long ago asked me, "are you listening to the music, or the stereo?". I often listen to the stereo when I first build it, but eventually I get back to listening to the music.

Good advice, and thanks for being a Doctor, my cousin becoming a Doctor has helped me see how much sacrifice you make for your profession.

post #377 of 446 Old 03-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Hey @MTBDOC that is some solid advice there. For most people and situations once you pass 2 to 4 18" subs of pretty much any flavor you are chasing a addiction. For most you cant put that much power to the ground without seriously pissing off the neighborhood. Many years ago when i first bought my first home a friend and i built a box for my JL 12W3 i believe it was 4ohm dvc. We did something about 2cf ported to 30HZ and tested it on a NAD amp rated at 60 x 2 . It was like 2am when we tried it granted but we were in a full basement the door to upstairs was closed as was the outside door and the windows. After the 2nd or third test track we heard a loud pounding on the door. It was my neighbor screaming at the top of his lungs that we were shaking his entire house and were about to shake things out of his cupboards. That was the end of our fun for the night. But that is a fairly weak sub in comparison to what some have around here but nearly got the cops called out. Now i have a pair of Hs-24 sitting in there crates waiting to see action. I keep on wanting to do more and go bigger but when is enough enough. The current box i am hoping to build will hit 120+ db at 10HZ and climb from there. That is 2 subs and i have these spells when i consider getting some pro 21's but will never be able to use it all.
post #378 of 446 Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks to both of you for your kind words. Look, hobbies are GREAT! But I know that I have trouble maintaining balance and perspective in life.

I can say that from just an early taste, the QJD is a serious piece of equipment for minimal cost. I will ALSO say that it is one thing to pull out a tape measure and look at size, but they sure do get BIGGER when you actually put one in the room!

Perhaps later today I can hook up my new BIG amp & run REW to get some early 'in room' measurements of my various new toys. As I just told someone via pm, my thought is if I do some 'quick & dirty' measurements from a mini-Marty, the HE-15, and the QJD in about the same position in the room, I can at least get an idea of how they compare to each other. We have some great standard measurements from @a77cj7 so it provides a standard to compare in room measurements.

I did install my 240v 30a breaker yesterday and have 50' of wire laid out. I realized I can fish it up from the basement through a port I added for running HDMI cable. Temporary box with cover plate is safe enough to get the amp up & running. Of course then I have to get the miniDSP-HD out and learn how to set it up so I don't fry everything with signal below tuning on the ported cabinets. I actually want to slowly crank up the juice without filter to the HE-15 PR sub and see how much excursion those PRs will give
post #379 of 446 Old 03-20-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for your kind words. Look, hobbies are GREAT! But I know that I have trouble maintaining balance and perspective in life.

I can say that from just an early taste, the QJD is a serious piece of equipment for minimal cost.

Of course then I have to get the miniDSP-HD out and learn how to set it up so I don't fry everything with signal below tuning on the ported cabinets. I actually want to slowly crank up the juice without filter to the HE-15 PR sub and see how much excursion those PRs will give

And that clone amp is a serious piece of equipment, be careful not to burn stuff up! As much as I want to hear about it, I don't want you to rush into this. Take your time, be careful.

post #380 of 446 Old 03-20-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build

Quote:
And that clone amp is a serious piece of equipment, be careful not to burn stuff up! As much as I want to hear about it, I don't want you to rush into this. Take your time, be careful.

The jbl’s are decently resilient. As long as you sneak up on the limits, it should be ok. I had mine on a 2500w-capable crown channel in my theater, could hear distress once I pushed it too hard but no damage.

Hopefully the old 15’s hold up as well.

Hobbies are a good way to keep your mind occupied during these troubled times. I’ve been spending quite a bit of time frustrated by my v3 build, so many facets to account for to make it look perfect inside and out. But at least its a normal problem, not a virus-related problem.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 03-20-2020 at 11:04 AM.
post #381 of 446 Old 03-21-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Thumbs up

Quote:
I am going to reorient the theater from "wide" to "deep" (22' x 16.5')
Thank you for your contribution in the health and audio world DOC! My room is 16' x 13'. I actually been thinking about going from wide to deep too. The problem is January 2019, I added the 2 height speakers for DA. I'm too lazy to patch those big @$$ screw holes for the speaker mounts. I don't think 3' is worth the hassle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_231407.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	2700338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_231352.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	2700340  
johnson636 likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #382 of 446 Old 03-22-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Thank you for your contribution in the health and audio world DOC! My room is 16' x 13'. I actually been thinking about going from wide to deep too. The problem is January 2019, I added the 2 height speakers for DA. I'm too lazy to patch those big @$$ screw holes for the speaker mounts. I don't think 3' is worth the hassle.
Yeah, I don't know that you will gain much. You have enough depth for 5 channels of surround, and decent seating. As I noted before, when I built this house 20 yrs ago I simply modeled this room on our 'finished room over the garage' that we had done for our first home theater in 1996. 5 channels then... people were blown away! 6 wide seating, plus plenty of floor space. Now with people building risers and such, a second row works well and the added depth is great for 7 channels. Just don't forget to ENJOY IT!
post #383 of 446 Old 03-22-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Those pics have me wanting to purchase 2 more SPG88
BP1Fanatic likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #384 of 446 Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 AM

I am close to completing the wood cutting phase of the project, and hope to be into assembly in the next day or two.
a77cj7 likes this.

post #385 of 446 Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I am close to completing the wood cutting phase of the project, and hope to be into assembly in the next day or two.
Good to hear! Given the shutting down of normal life, I probably ought to assemble my other two boxes. Except I'm in this weird position of needing to make room... but dining room furniture is occupying a good bit of the theater (only fair as I had a pile of drivers sitting in the dining room!). What I REALLY need to do is rent a floor sander and refinish hardwood. THEN I can move the furniture back, reorient my theater long-ways, and add more subs. Floor sander ... not able to do this at the present. The DR furniture needs multiple bodies to move, or I would have cleared out the theater. Okay, now I'm getting long winded (and perhaps a bit whiny), and this virus is only starting to take hold here. It really is a good time to work on all of these projects IF one can buy/rent what one needs. Essential ... yeah, like the State reopened liquor stores after briefly closing them. Somebody woke up and realized that they didn't want ERs overrun with alcohol withdrawal cases! It can be fatal & is NOT fun.

Hmmm, essential floor sander ... hmmmm ....
post #386 of 446 Old 03-30-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Good to hear! Given the shutting down of normal life, I probably ought to assemble my other two boxes. Except I'm in this weird position of needing to make room... but dining room furniture is occupying a good bit of the theater (only fair as I had a pile of drivers sitting in the dining room!). What I REALLY need to do is rent a floor sander and refinish hardwood. THEN I can move the furniture back, reorient my theater long-ways, and add more subs. Floor sander ... not able to do this at the present. The DR furniture needs multiple bodies to move, or I would have cleared out the theater. Okay, now I'm getting long winded (and perhaps a bit whiny), and this virus is only starting to take hold here. It really is a good time to work on all of these projects IF one can buy/rent what one needs. Essential ... yeah, like the State reopened liquor stores after briefly closing them. Somebody woke up and realized that they didn't want ERs overrun with alcohol withdrawal cases! It can be fatal & is NOT fun.

Hmmm, essential floor sander ... hmmmm ....
I can't speak to your state, but here hardware stores are considered essential, especially if they sell water heaters and those sorts of home repair items. The big box hardware is still open here, and would likely sell / rent a sander.

Let's just say I am not the only one cutting wood in my neighborhood.

I have a similar situation, my wood is in the garage, on the floor where I normally work on cars. I need to swap wheels to the summer tires because I want to sell my car, and those are the "proper" wheels for it. So I need to finish cutting wood, clean up the garage, so I can clean up and sell my car. Refinishing a floor is a much more daunting task though.

post #387 of 446 Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I can't speak to your state, but here hardware stores are considered essential, especially if they sell water heaters and those sorts of home repair items. The big box hardware is still open here, and would likely sell / rent a sander.

Let's just say I am not the only one cutting wood in my neighborhood.

I have a similar situation, my wood is in the garage, on the floor where I normally work on cars. I need to swap wheels to the summer tires because I want to sell my car, and those are the "proper" wheels for it. So I need to finish cutting wood, clean up the garage, so I can clean up and sell my car. Refinishing a floor is a much more daunting task though.
I hear ya! I built this house 20 yrs ago, so the hardwood needs to be refinished. I moved the furniture out of the dining room as I wanted to repaint, then decided to do some wainscotting. Now I think I may just buy some 1/2" mdf and cut a few zillion strips, go that route. It takes time but is inexpensive. Time is certainly available! But I have a LARGE table & 2 part china cabinet that is sitting in the theater (when I designed the house, we put the theater in what would be used as a formal living room by others; got tired of hauling food up to the theater in the other house at the far end above the garage! SO ... a VERY crowded room with subs sitting everywhere, and large, heavy oak furniture.

It is frustrating as I bought the clone amp, and ran temp power (240v 30a) but know I will likely get carried away and burn up a voice coil or two if I don't do this SMART with mic, REW, etc running. I suppose I might at least run a quick sweep with no EQ & ridiculous placement, just to look at room response. Room mode calculator doesn't show any problems, but I have two LARGE cut out areas that open to the rest of the house, so gain will be less than a buttoned-up theater.

And all I need to do is glue up my 2nd QuadJBLDev & 2nd HE-15PR sub as I did all the cutting at the same time. Then turn it up to 11, hit 88 mph, and blast off

EDIT to add: and actually I need to buy a few pieces of oak flooring, there is an area that needs to be replaced. It is only about 1' wide, variable lengths to maintain the old 'random' pattern. Flooring stores are not open. Hardware stores were declared NOT essential here in AL (whaaa???) but the big box stores are open. Craigslist already has a guy who does flooring say the people he works for are closed, but he has his floor sander and wants to work. Might be beneficial for us both and I skip the labor.

Last edited by MTBDOC; 03-30-2020 at 10:28 AM.
post #388 of 446 Old 03-30-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I hear ya! I built this house 20 yrs ago, so the hardwood needs to be refinished. I moved the furniture out of the dining room as I wanted to repaint, then decided to do some wainscotting. Now I think I may just buy some 1/2" mdf and cut a few zillion strips, go that route. It takes time but is inexpensive. Time is certainly available! But I have a LARGE table & 2 part china cabinet that is sitting in the theater (when I designed the house, we put the theater in what would be used as a formal living room by others; got tired of hauling food up to the theater in the other house at the far end above the garage! SO ... a VERY crowded room with subs sitting everywhere, and large, heavy oak furniture.

It is frustrating as I bought the clone amp, and ran temp power (240v 30a) but know I will likely get carried away and burn up a voice coil or two if I don't do this SMART with mic, REW, etc running. I suppose I might at least run a quick sweep with no EQ & ridiculous placement, just to look at room response. Room mode calculator doesn't show any problems, but I have two LARGE cut out areas that open to the rest of the house, so gain will be less than a buttoned-up theater.

And all I need to do is glue up my 2nd QuadJBLDev & 2nd HE-15PR sub as I did all the cutting at the same time. Then turn it up to 11, hit 88 mph, and blast off

EDIT to add: and actually I need to buy a few pieces of oak flooring, there is an area that needs to be replaced. It is only about 1' wide, variable lengths to maintain the old 'random' pattern. Flooring stores are not open. Hardware stores were declared NOT essential here in AL (whaaa???) but the big box stores are open. Craigslist already has a guy who does flooring say the people he works for are closed, but he has his floor sander and wants to work. Might be beneficial for us both and I skip the labor.
Personal Opinion, I wouldn't build wainscotting out of MDF. I wouldn't build anything that has even the slightest chance of getting damp out of MDF, unless it is a speaker, as that isn't part of the house. If you mop the floor under the wainscotting, it might suck up a bit of that soapy water each time. Over time the bottom edge will start to look terrible as it swells up. Even humidity can be an issue with MDF, and I would guess it get's plenty humid there!

post #389 of 446 Old 03-31-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Personal Opinion, I wouldn't build wainscotting out of MDF. I wouldn't build anything that has even the slightest chance of getting damp out of MDF, unless it is a speaker, as that isn't part of the house. If you mop the floor under the wainscotting, it might suck up a bit of that soapy water each time. Over time the bottom edge will start to look terrible as it swells up. Even humidity can be an issue with MDF, and I would guess it get's plenty humid there!
I will be using a tall baseboard from solid wood, and will paint & caulk the 'picture frame' parts of this. Everything well primed, on a wall that is primed, won't be a problem! MDF is good because it is so flat & smooth, easy to sand joints & caulk cleanly.
post #390 of 446 Old 03-31-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I will be using a tall baseboard from solid wood, and will paint & caulk the 'picture frame' parts of this. Everything well primed, on a wall that is primed, won't be a problem! MDF is good because it is so flat & smooth, easy to sand joints & caulk cleanly.
Makes sense, Not having it touch the floor goes a long ways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page