EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 327Likes

post #31 of 354 Old 02-04-2020, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 619 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 1682
What does the excursion of this design look like in the 20-30hz range?

The response of this design looks very similar to the Quad GRS 10" 6th order series tuned bandpass sub I built a little while back. One of the main issues with that design was that the peak in the response (~105-110hz on mine) caused an amplification of the driver 3rd and 4th order harmonics in the 25-35hz range which just happened to coincide with the excursion maximum where such distortion was most prevalent.

The JBL's are likely cleaner but I'd watch for the same kind of rise in distortion in the 20-30hz range.

Edit: looked at my measurements again and it was just the 3rd order harmonics that got boosted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRS10 6th ST bandpass hornresp 1pi 400w.png
Views:	103
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	2680540  
Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by mtg90; 02-04-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 354 Old 02-04-2020, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasa2131 View Post
@a77cj7

I've really enjoying this thread - I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how they work out. I would like to ask you a few build-related questions:

1. What kind of Kreg are you using?

2. What size/type screws are you using for the Kreg pockets?

3. How do you like the Kreg? I've never used one.

Thanks for the exciting work so far!

Dave

1. K4 jig.
2. 1” coarse thread. Should have gone 1 1/4”, but was worried about poking through the 18mm ply. To compensate, I’m running 5/8 setting on the block, but 3/4 drill depth. Not ideal.
3. Besides the kreep, absolutely love it. Easy, fast, effective. The kreep can be minimized and mitigated with proper clamping or other methods as mentioned above.

Chris
post #33 of 354 Old 02-04-2020, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Would be Wright parameters be what is needed? I forgot to include those previously.

* This data was exported from DATS the Dayton Audio Test System

* Manufacturer: JBL

* Model: CS1214

* Piston Diameter = 260.4 mm

* f(s)= 25.57 Hz

* R(e)= 3.439 Ohms

* Z(max)= 40.8 Ohms

* Q(ms)= 6.488

* Q(es)= 0.5972

* Q(ts)= 0.5468

* V(as)= 104.6 liters (3.694 cubic feet)

* L(e)= 3.16 mH

* n(0)= 0.2792 %

* SPL= 86.56 1W/1m

* M(ms)= 147.4 grams

* C(ms)= 0.263 mm/N

* BL= 11.68

* K(r)= 0.02195

* X(r)= 0.697

* K(i)= 0.0405

* X(i)= 0.6984

Thanks Matt! I’m impressed you still have the data.

Not in any form I recognize. I’ve used semi inductance for modeling, but am not familiar with the calculations behind it.
@Ricci ?

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 354 Old 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The response of this design looks very similar to the Quad GRS 10" 6th order series tuned bandpass sub I built a little while back. One of the main issues with that design was that the peak in the response (~105-110hz on mine) caused an amplification of the driver 3rd and 4th order harmonics in the 25-35hz range which just happened to coincide with the excursion maximum where such distortion was most prevalent.

The JBL's are likely cleaner but I'd watch for the same kind of rise in distortion in the 20-30hz range.

Not sure on HR’s displacement modeling on this one, as mentioned. But, on 1000w input:

Chris
post #35 of 354 Old 02-04-2020, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Minor updates tonight. Enclosures are now complete and awaiting drivers to arrive. Should have them on Friday.

Chris
post #36 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Would be Wright parameters be what is needed? I forgot to include those previously.

* This data was exported from DATS the Dayton Audio Test System
* Manufacturer: JBL
* Model: CS1214
* Piston Diameter = 260.4 mm
* f(s)= 25.57 Hz
* R(e)= 3.439 Ohms
* Z(max)= 40.8 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 6.488
* Q(es)= 0.5972
* Q(ts)= 0.5468
* V(as)= 104.6 liters (3.694 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 3.16 mH
* n(0)= 0.2792 %
* SPL= 86.56 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 147.4 grams
* C(ms)= 0.263 mm/N
* BL= 11.68
* K(r)= 0.02195
* X(r)= 0.697
* K(i)= 0.0405
* X(i)= 0.6984

Crap...Wright model won't work. Do you still have the measurements saved? If you do can you export the free-air impedance curve and the added mass curve as text or zma files. We can get them from that information with Bolserst's calculator spreadsheet.

Edit: Need the amount of mass used too!
post #37 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Edit: looked at my measurements again and it was just the 3rd order harmonics that got boosted.
Excellent point made here that bears repeating. This is why I generally try to avoid large peaks in the response as much as possible or at least try to push them out of band as much as possible. 100Hz peak boosts the 3rd harmonic of 33Hz, 4th of 25Hz etc, where excursion and distortion is usually getting large. A 200Hz peak on the other hand is the 3rd harmonic of 67Hz and the 4th of 50Hz. Excursion and distortion is usually lower at higher frequencies. With subs the 3rd harmonic is usually the one I watch for the most followed by the 2nd and 4th at a little lower priority.
jujuman200 and Nalleh like this.
post #38 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Crap...Wright model won't work. Do you still have the measurements saved? If you do can you export the free-air impedance curve and the added mass curve as text or zma files. We can get them from that information with Bolserst's calculator spreadsheet.

@Ricci

Chris @Chris Popovich took these measurements. Top is un-broken in driver, bottom is broken in with added dust cap.

Significant difference from @mtg90 ’s.

Chris P is going to try and find a broken-in driver and take a new measurement.

Chris
post #39 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent point made here that bears repeating. This is why I generally try to avoid large peaks in the response as much as possible or at least try to push them out of band as much as possible. 100Hz peak boosts the 3rd harmonic of 33Hz, 4th of 25Hz etc, where excursion and distortion is usually getting large. A 200Hz peak on the other hand is the 3rd harmonic of 67Hz and the 4th of 50Hz. Excursion and distortion is usually lower at higher frequencies. With subs the 3rd harmonic is usually the one I watch for the most followed by the 2nd and 4th at a little lower priority.

Sorry for being a complete noob here, but...

How does the 3rd harmonic distortion present? Is it an artifact of the driver’s distortion at the peak frequency, or is it dependent on the distortion at the 3rd harmonic? Does reducing the peak via eq reduce this effect, or is it inherent to the acoustic properties of the box?

I currently run Mini Devastators loaded with 18ds115’s in my theater. They have a huge peak in response. Model vs close-mic:

Subjectively, these are the cleanest subwoofers I’ve heard. Of course, the 18ds115 is a very low-distortion driver. And I am running with the peak significantly eq’d down.

Chris
Nalleh likes this.
post #40 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I measured free-air parameters and Vas via added mass method, can email anyone the .tzz file, just PM me your email addy.

Edit: is this what you guys want? Imp & Imp +the 205g I used for Vas
Attached Files
File Type: txt Exported Impedance Data.txt (12.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: txt Exported Impedance Data plus 205g.txt (11.9 KB, 10 views)
a77cj7 likes this.
post #41 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Now we are heading DOWN into the rabbit hole! What fun Acoustical engineering is outside of my realm of training, clearly different from good old fluid mechanics and such. Resonance distortion, different paths, pressure gradients ... it does make sense that there can be some interesting things going on in this cabinet.

Anyway, I get to sit back like the guys in the research foundations that provide funding and let other guys do the heavy intellectual lifting. Hopefully SD weather will cooperate with measurements this coming weekend.

Somewhat related: I picked up my 5 kg of washers from Grainger, PLENTY of added mass for the SLAPS I bought. The difference between models and reality was well nicely demonstrated last year in the sub build I first found over on data-bass but is also over here: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/7...in-a-tiny-box/ The finding that 'small' parameters are not necessarily valid at modeling high power operation was fascinating to me, especially that the PRs perform BETTER than predicted at high excursions. Anyway, I have (at the moment) 10 JBLs and two leftover (and OLD!) HE-15 Stryke drivers. I was thinking I would build PR subs with the HE-15s and do nearfield with sealed JBLs. Then a couple of weeks ago RedFive started posting some crazy modeling of multiple driver subs, first the 9 ported JBL design, and now this Devastator.

Insanity is an interesting thing. I find myself as a silent observer and then end up kicking in $ to get this current project built. The worst of it is that our intrepid builder is obviously FAR off the deep-end as noted by his OTHER projects Chris, you had best make sure that your homeowners insurance isn't going to require an additional rider for sonic damage!

RedFive, thanks for the design work ... and congratulations for the MOST IMPORTANT project you have underway: your wife & tiny-but-growing child !
post #42 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I didn't save the added mass curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Sorry for being a complete noob here, but...

How does the 3rd harmonic distortion present? Is it an artifact of the driver’s distortion at the peak frequency, or is it dependent on the distortion at the 3rd harmonic? Does reducing the peak via eq reduce this effect, or is it inherent to the acoustic properties of the box?

I currently run Mini Devastators loaded with 18ds115’s in my theater. They have a huge peak in response. Model vs close-mic:

Subjectively, these are the cleanest subwoofers I’ve heard. Of course, the 18ds115 is a very low-distortion driver. And I am running with the peak significantly eq’d down.

Chris
So harmonics occur at multiples of the fundamental frequency, 2nd order occurs at 2x the fundamental, 3rd order at 3x and so on. So if your subwoofer is playing a 30hz tone the 3rd order harmonic will occur at 90hz. EQ does not reduce the level of the harmonics since they are generated off the fundamental frequency.

For this Quad JBL devastator design the peak in response looks like it occurs around 87Hz, the 3rd order harmonic that will land on that peak is then generated by a 29Hz signal. 29Hz looks to be about 8dB lower then the response at 87Hz which means that 3rd order harmonic will have an 8dB head start over the fundamental (nearly double the distortion %). The excursion maximum where 3rd order distortion will be most prevalent also occurs near that range so you end up with a double whammy.

Another example of where this can occur is on woofer or midrange drivers with a large cone breakup peak, any harmonics that land on that peak are amplified by it. So you would want to crossover at least 2-3x lower then the peak to prevent spikes in 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion.

Now the effects on a driver with naturally low distortion occur just the same as a high distortion driver, but less distortion generated = less distortion to amplify.

A driver or enclosure design that can maintain a smooth flat frequency response will then be free of any of those harmonic distortion amplifying properties.

To put this another way say you have a driver in a subwoofer box designed to maintain a flat frequency response down below to below 20hz (lets say a ported enclosure). You also have a horn loaded enclosure which gives 10dB more output in the upper ranges but the same output (and excursion level) at 20hz. The ported enclosure will generally sound cleaner at low frequencies because the horn loaded enclosure amplifies the harmonics which occur at those lower frequencies. The ported design however ends up with much higher harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies since it requires much more power and excursion to produce the same output as the horn loaded design. So there are trade offs anyway you go.
Jan3, Red Five and a77cj7 like this.
post #43 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
@Ricci

Chris @Chris Popovich took these measurements. Top is un-broken in driver, bottom is broken in with added dust cap.

Significant difference from @mtg90 ’s.

Chris P is going to try and find a broken-in driver and take a new measurement.

Chris

It makes me wonder if the manufacturing has actually changed along the way with these drivers. They change names, it is conceivable that they are doing some things differently in their construction.
post #44 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't save the added mass curve.

So harmonics occur at multiples of the fundamental frequency, 2nd order occurs at 2x the fundamental, 3rd order at 3x and so on. So if your subwoofer is playing a 30hz tone the 3rd order harmonic will occur at 90hz. EQ does not reduce the level of the harmonics since they are generated off the fundamental frequency.

For this Quad JBL devastator design the peak in response looks like it occurs around 87Hz, the 3rd order harmonic that will land on that peak is then generated by a 29Hz signal. 29Hz looks to be about 8dB lower then the response at 87Hz which means that 3rd order harmonic will have an 8dB head start over the fundamental (nearly double the distortion %). The excursion maximum where 3rd order distortion will be most prevalent also occurs near that range so you end up with a double whammy.

Another example of where this can occur is on woofer or midrange drivers with a large cone breakup peak, any harmonics that land on that peak are amplified by it. So you would want to crossover at least 2-3x lower then the peak to prevent spikes in 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion.

Now the effects on a driver with naturally low distortion occur just the same as a high distortion driver, but less distortion generated = less distortion to amplify.

A driver or enclosure design that can maintain a smooth flat frequency response will then be free of any of those harmonic distortion amplifying properties.

To put this another way say you have a driver in a subwoofer box designed to maintain a flat frequency response down below to below 20hz (lets say a ported enclosure). You also have a horn loaded enclosure which gives 10dB more output in the upper ranges but the same output (and excursion level) at 20hz. The ported enclosure will generally sound cleaner at low frequencies because the horn loaded enclosure amplifies the harmonics which occur at those lower frequencies. The ported design however ends up with much higher harmonic distortion in the upper frequencies since it requires much more power and excursion to produce the same output as the horn loaded design. So there are trade offs anyway you go.

Thanks Matt!

I was completely misunderstanding this concept apparently.
So, if I now understand correctly, in layman’s terms:

The horn loading in this design will amplify the distortion produced by the high excursion at ~30hz, where the third harmonic is at peak output.

Where as a ported box will be cleaner in the high excursion frequency range without the harmonics being amplified. Yet the higher frequencies will show more distortion without the horn gain for a given output level.

If I’m analyzing this correctly, the ported horn should still be cleaner than a quad sealed across the usable frequency spectrum at a given output level. Since the required input power/excursion should be lower.
At the expense of a much larger enclosure, of course.
EDIT: Nevermind, this last part is wrong because the high excursion range is outside of significant port gain.(hence high excursion)

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.
post #45 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDOC View Post
It makes me wonder if the manufacturing has actually changed along the way with these drivers. They change names, it is conceivable that they are doing some things differently in their construction.

Possibly, or just the same design with different lots/material suppliers. Or just build variations in these mass-produced drivers.

I believe @Chris Popovich has a ridiculous number of these drivers from different lots/times and said he gets relatively consistent measurements from them though. Maybe he’ll chime in.

Chris
post #46 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Matt!

I was completely misunderstanding this concept apparently.
So, if I now understand correctly, in layman’s terms:

The horn loading in this design will amplify the distortion produced by the high excursion at ~30hz, where the third harmonic is at peak output.

Where as a ported box will be cleaner in the high excursion frequency range without the harmonics being amplified. Yet the higher frequencies will show more distortion without the horn gain for a given output level.

If I’m analyzing this correctly, the ported horn should still be cleaner than a quad sealed across the usable frequency spectrum at a given output level. Since the required input power/excursion should be lower.
At the expense of a much larger enclosure, of course.
EDIT: Nevermind, this last part is wrong because the high excursion range is outside of significant port gain.(hence high excursion)

Chris
It does get hard to compare distortion profiles of different alignment types unless you build and measure them, but in general if output and/or excursion of one type is lower then another you will get less distortion from the driver in those frequencies.

In a design like this such a narrow response peak serves minimal benefit in terms of usable output since it will end up largely flattened with EQ. If the horn design could have been adjusted to have that peak flattened or rounded off (perhaps not feasible given size constraints and driver parameters) the 3rd harmonic distortion produced in 25-35hz range would be reduced 3-6dB.
Nalleh and a77cj7 like this.
post #47 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Possibly, or just the same design with different lots/material suppliers. Or just build variations in these mass-produced drivers.

I believe @Chris Popovich has a ridiculous number of these drivers from different lots/times and said he gets relatively consistent measurements from them though. Maybe he’ll chime in.

Chris

Yeah, I do realize manufacturing tolerances often are far too broad. Interested in some rather concerning info related to this, but in a different field?

A few decades ago when generic drugs were first being allowed into the US market, I was absolutely STUNNED when I learned the standard - that for a generic to "pass" then:

• 70% of the pills sampled had to have ...
  • 70-130% of the potency of the branded drug
Think about that, 30% didn't even have to meet ANY sort of standard, and the remaining 70% only had to be in a tremendously broad range! You see, my friends, this is what happens with an ever expanding bureaucracy. It becomes far more cost-effective for pharmaceutical manufacturers to spend money lobbying for poor standards rather than for R&D and manufacturing optimization . I was an engineer before going to med school (in the days when Fred & Barney were still babysitting Pebbles & Bam-Bam) and worked in process control. There is no excuse for such lax standards for human meds, but that's the state of it!

Sorry, I will now step down off of my soapbox and return to being a quiet old guy sitting in the corner. Carry on
BP1Fanatic likes this.
post #48 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are the measured specs from Chris's impedance files with the semi inductance. Doesn't radically change things from the basic factory specs but it does change the models. I'm a little skeptical of that SD figure. Seems high.

If I get some time maybe I'll give a shot at modeling this cab with the drivers separated inside of Akabak just to have a look. Haven't had an excuse to use Akabak in a long time.

What's the internal height of the ports and the depth inside from the front panel to the driver baffle?

Sd=551.00
Bl=12.39
Cms=1.63E-04
Rms=7.86
Mmd=153.97
Le=2.75
Re=3.31
Leb=0.74
Le=5.97
Ke=0.29
Rss=507.10
Rms=4.16
Ams=1.69E-05
Attached Files
File Type: txt JBL CS1214 ChrisP Exported_Impedance_Data_Hresp.txt (237 Bytes, 10 views)
Chris Popovich, Nalleh and a77cj7 like this.
post #49 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are the measured specs from Chris's impedance files with the semi inductance. Doesn't radically change things from the basic factory specs but it does change the models. I'm a little skeptical of that SD figure. Seems high.

If I get some time maybe I'll give a shot at modeling this cab with the drivers separated inside of Akabak just to have a look. Haven't had an excuse to use Akabak in a long time.

What's the internal height of the ports and the depth inside from the front panel to the driver baffle?

Sd=551.00
Bl=12.39
Cms=1.63E-04
Rms=7.86
Mmd=153.97
Le=2.75
Re=3.31
Leb=0.74
Le=5.97
Ke=0.29
Rss=507.10
Rms=4.16
Ams=1.69E-05

Thanks Josh!

Ports are 2” high, 25.25” long

Horn is 7” high

Chris
post #50 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sd=551.00
Bl=12.39
Cms=1.63E-04
Rms=7.86
Mmd=153.97
Le=2.75
Re=3.31
Leb=0.74
Le=5.97
Ke=0.29
Rss=507.10
Rms=4.16
Ams=1.69E-05
I used 1/2 the surround as per the previously posted measurements (in this thread) for consistency's sake. I use less for my personal use as I agree with you. If you'd like me to re-do it with ~1/3 the surround (IMO reasonable) or something different just say so and I'm happy to oblige. I have the DATSV3 and the test JBL about 4' from my desk.

Consistency wise, I've found most of the CS1214, GX1200, CX1200 to measure about the same. There are minor manufacturing variances which is to be expected, but in general they come in about the same, which is different than the JBL spec sheet and the other guys measurements.

FWIW I test the same way every time; driver has little foam blocks on the backside to let it breath, and is upfiring since that's the easiest way for me to be consistent each time in my particular setup. If you'd like me to do something differently just say and I'll give it a go.

Remember, I'm dealing with sealed boxes so most of the worries simply go away (and some headroom for that luxury). Running 40 or so sealed gets the job done though.

Chris
a77cj7 likes this.
post #51 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A few decades ago when generic drugs were first being allowed into the US market, I was absolutely STUNNED when I learned the standard - that for a generic to "pass" then:
  • 70% of the pills sampled had to have ...
  • 70-130% of the potency of the branded drug
Think about that, 30% didn't even have to meet ANY sort of standard, and the remaining 70% only had to be in a tremendously broad range!

Wow, those do seem to be very loose specifications.

From my very limited knowledge of medications, don’t many work based on continuous dosing and latent level in the system? I can understand how those could still be effective at least.
Anything single dose-controlled just sounds dangerous though.

In my road-material field, anything below 85% of design is remove and replace.

Chris
post #52 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
I used 1/2 the surround as per the previously posted measurements (in this thread) for consistency's sake. I use less for my personal use as I agree with you. If you'd like me to re-do it with ~1/3 the surround (IMO reasonable) or something different just say so and I'm happy to oblige. I have the DATSV3 and the test JBL about 4' from my desk.

Consistency wise, I've found most of the CS1214, GX1200, CX1200 to measure about the same. There are minor manufacturing variances which is to be expected, but in general they come in about the same, which is different than the JBL spec sheet and the other guys measurements.

FWIW I test the same way every time; driver has little foam blocks on the backside to let it breath, and is upfiring since that's the easiest way for me to be consistent each time in my particular setup. If you'd like me to do something differently just say and I'll give it a go.

Remember, I'm dealing with sealed boxes so most of the worries simply go away (and some headroom for that luxury). Running 40 or so sealed gets the job done though.

Chris
How squishy are those foam blocks? I've noticed if a driver is allowed to bounce or vibrate up and down at all during sweeps it throws off the measurements.
post #53 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Very absorptive, or squishy I guess you could say. Would be better to bolt it down but I ain't gonna.

Chris
post #54 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to @Ricci , @Chris Popovich , and @mtg90 for the help.

Here’s the HR model updated with Chris P and Josh’s specs:

And compared to factory spec:
Both 1200w, no HPF. Black is factory.

Chris
post #55 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
Very absorptive, or squishy I guess you could say. Would be better to bolt it down but I ain't gonna.

Chris
I just use 2x3's under the magnet.
post #56 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 902
@Ricci is the sharing of the QW resonator where the subs tend to get more picky or is it equally due to the bass reflex system being shared? I am more or less curious if there were multi QW resonators each with one sub if that would potentially make the situation better or more predictable.

Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Mini Devastator Build
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #57 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
@Ricci is the sharing of the QW resonator where the subs tend to get more picky or is it equally due to the bass reflex system being shared? I am more or less curious if there were multi QW resonators each with one sub if that would potentially make the situation better or more predictable.

From my very limited understanding, the problem is completely due to the variable loading from different driver position along the path of the QW.
Two drivers side by side would likely work fine. As many as you want in individual IDENTICAL qw’s with a shared rear chamber should also be fine.
My understanding is completely from reading @Ricci ’s design threads though, so I may be WAY off.

Chris
post #58 of 354 Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Somewhat related: I picked up my 5 kg of washers from Grainger, PLENTY of added mass for the SLAPS I bought.
I used lead with my original model SLAPS (roughly 4-5" diameter and washer thick also) as I found that with to much weight extending off the bolt sagged the PR's due to having no traditional cone and spider design. Especially since we had to cut the rear foam holes larger ourselves due to turbulence.
Great units though and I punished mine for 8yrs before floods took them...I still have 2x12" packed away! lol
post #59 of 354 Old 02-06-2020, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 399 Post(s)
Quoted: 2944 Post(s)
Liked: 4085
Quote:
Thanks to @Ricci , @Chris Popovich , and @mtg90 for the help.

Here’s the HR model updated with Chris P and Josh’s specs:

And compared to factory spec:
Both 1200w, no HPF. Black is factory.

Chris
The first and second pic doesn’t line up? Is the first one with HPF?

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE Dual TR Sleds- 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - Vertex2 - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #60 of 354 Old 02-06-2020, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
The first and second pic doesn’t line up? Is the first one with HPF?

Correct, first has a 19hz 2nd order HPF

EDIT: one of the annoying issues with HR. Can’t compare responses with the filters on.

Chris
Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-06-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page