EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 389Likes

post #91 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
I hate to elaborate too much, as there is a good chance I have it totally wrong.
I believe that the acoustic loading of the horn path causes variable loading on the drivers at different points along the path, thus exhibiting as variable excursion.
The variable loading will show in the individual impedance curves, so It could well cause power delivery variation.
I don’t understand how parallel vs series wiring effects this, only thing that comes to mind is delay caused by the series connection.

So far, I have no evidence that this thing is playing by the model. I was definitely sending it enough power to bottom drivers. I also have no evidence that it ISN’T playing by the model, which is why I have visions of driver destruction.

I am a Mining Engineer by education, but did start out in EE. The highly theoretical nature of the program caused me to loose interest, my school had much less focus on Power Systems. Its been many years since I used any of it though, so I’m beyond rusty here.

Hey, I’m just supposed to be the builder/tester here.

Chris

Interesting point about power in EE. I was in school during the 70s when they still had a lot of focus on that, but computers & solid state circuitry were taking on more importance. I hear that most EEs don't even understand what 3-phase power is!

This is really an interesting theoretical issue to understand, so I eagerly await the experts to show up (Josh, and perhaps TD himself. I poked around earlier, curious about Danley's educational background. Sounds to be OJT rather than university! Another Einstein, I suppose. Creative thinking and efforts to apply have yielded him a tremendous bit of knowledge. I would have loved watching the development and testing for the military sub (idea of using subsonics at high levels to induce significant anxiety; seems to work).

Okay, to the matter at hand: you mention using enough power to bottom the drivers. Is this just a seat-of-the-pants guestimate, or are there specific measurements you took? Can your measurement apparatus log voltage while measuring dB? Is there any capability to look at waveforms to measure distortion? Sorry, but you have stirred my intellectual curiosity! Perhaps you have built a bumblebee that flies despite what the design says

I eagerly await measurements, and would love to see max output along the frequency axis. Although I hope you can have long term use of this sub, feel free to blow up the drivers I bought if it furthers our knowledge.

As I have said, I am interested to see what these drivers could do in a PR box with HEAVY weights = low tuning. What are the ultimate performance levels we can get out of these cheap drivers with different designs, THAT is the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDOC View Post
Interesting point about power in EE. I was in school during the 70s when they still had a lot of focus on that, but computers & solid state circuitry were taking on more importance. I hear that most EEs don't even understand what 3-phase power is!

This is really an interesting theoretical issue to understand, so I eagerly await the experts to show up (Josh, and perhaps TD himself. I poked around earlier, curious about Danley's educational background. Sounds to be OJT rather than university! Another Einstein, I suppose. Creative thinking and efforts to apply have yielded him a tremendous bit of knowledge. I would have loved watching the development and testing for the military sub (idea of using subsonics at high levels to induce significant anxiety; seems to work).

Okay, to the matter at hand: you mention using enough power to bottom the drivers. Is this just a seat-of-the-pants guestimate, or are there specific measurements you took? Can your measurement apparatus log voltage while measuring dB? Is there any capability to look at waveforms to measure distortion? Sorry, but you have stirred my intellectual curiosity! Perhaps you have built a bumblebee that flies despite what the design says

I eagerly await measurements, and would love to see max output along the frequency axis. Although I hope you can have long term use of this sub, feel free to blow up the drivers I bought if it furthers our knowledge.

As I have said, I am interested to see what these drivers could do in a PR box with HEAVY weights = low tuning. What are the ultimate performance levels we can get out of these cheap drivers with different designs, THAT is the question.

I’ve been having a lazy day in the house. I’ll go get the ground plane measurements done as soon as I finish this post. Time to annoy the neighbors.

Enough power to bottom the drivers is just based on the output level shown in minidsp, and the input sensitivity and power ratings of the amp. I have no measurement data on that. I have no way to log voltage.

I have no idea how to measure distortion. I will look i to that one.

My plan for the ground plane is to make sweeps at increasing levels until something gives. If I hear mechanical noise from the drivers, output stops increasing, I run out of amp, or the drivers smoke.
I will be running a multimeter on the amp output, so that should give a good idea of wattage.

I certainly wouldn’t declare this thing a bumblebee yet. Josh’s models don’t indicate that it won’t work. They just indicate that maximum output will be less than the HR model, due to the undesirable excursion characteristics. Overall response shape remains generally unaffected. Thats why one of my questions to him is at what wattage the drivers should hit 15mm excursion. This should allow for a very good prediction of the cabinets output in this configuration.

At some point, buying more drivers becomes cheaper than trying to maximize output from a given number. With the jbl’s, that point is reached pretty quickly. The SLAPS are cheap enough themselves to be worth experimenting with though.

Chris
post #93 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler alert: This Sucks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Lol I hate snow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #95 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Funny! I recall a few days ago when you were talking about 60s in SD and it was 40s in AL. Now we are back to NORMAL.

Thanks for the further info on measurements and such. So many interesting ideas start bouncing around, and KNOWLEDGE is always intriguing. As to your point about the cheap drivers simply being multiplied... yes, although the number of & size of necessary boxes becomes part of the equation. Complexity of build is the final variable, I suppose. What I am most curious about is the ultimate output and frequency response these cheap drivers can produce in different configurations. The first mention of the SLAPS was just one member here just randomly adding them to the box, and I don't think anybody loaded additional mass on them. I ordered 4 when Amazon had them for $40 (and they will drop the price when nobody buys them at $57!) and have 5kg of washers to play with.

Anyway, stay warm and entertain us! I would actually do well to STOP checking this thread ... I can spend far too much time reading and pondering
post #96 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I have data. I’m not entirely sure what it means though.

Pretty pic:

The first sweeps were in 3db increments starting at 6v.
The final three sweeps are in 1db increments.
The final clean sweep showed 33v.
The final sweep showed 38v.

I will go back to the shop and get all the voltage numbers in a bit. I’m warming up inside now. Should have worn heavy boots.

The final sweep was a perfect storm of failures. The mic ran out of headroom and showed clipping. I heard mechanical distress from the drivers. I was unsure if the driver noises were indicative of bottoming out, or popping from signal/amplifier clipping.

It looks to me like the trouble area of the final sweep is below port tune. This also matched where I heard driver distress. I’m wondering if the protective HPF isn’t steep enough.
I would have adjusted the HPF and performed more sweeps, but it was starting to snow. This is bad for laptops and other electronics.

My multimeter reads RMS voltage. Should I use these readings to calculate input power, or do I need to multiply it by 1.414?

Chris
post #97 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Nice work!
a77cj7 likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #98 of 446 Old 02-08-2020, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I spent some time analyzing the data. Something is not adding up. Either my voltage measurement and wattage calculation is way off, or I’m misinterpreting something in the models.

First off, a quick review of testing setup.

I wheeled the enclosure out in the driveway, about 20 feet from the shop. I placed the test cart 10ft or so behind it, due to mic and speaker wire lengths. This also put me close enough to listen for blatant driver distress. I set up my multimeter on the amplifier output, in 600v mode.

The microphone was placed 2m from the enclosure:

I ran 0-200hz sweeps in REW, and recorded the voltage to the nearest volt. I began running sweeps 3db apart, and switched to 1db as the levels got high. The final sweep had both audible driver distress or amp/signal clipping, and microphone clipping.

For calculations, I took the displayed voltage and multiplied by 1.414 for peak voltage. I then converted this number to wattage using the driver’s combined Re of 3.4.

Here is the result. Voltages are as-displayed by DMM, wattages are from above calculation.

The wattage on the final clean sweep is 640w, the problem sweep is 850w. These numbers seem low by HR model, but may match up with Josh’s AkAbak model.

For comparison purposes, I overlayed the final clean sweep with the HR 1000w simulation. I took 6db off the HR sim to convert from 1m to 2m mic distance.

Here is the sim using ChrisP and Josh’s Semi-Inductance data:

Here is the sim using JBL’s driver specs:

With those, It looks like this cab is performing right at the model.

Now the big question remaining: Which interpretation is correct? Is my crude voltage measurement technique heavily flawed? Am I missing something in how I compared the models?
@Ricci , or anyone else familiar with ground plane measurements, please help me out here. Or anyone in general who sees a flaw or error in my methodology or calculations.

Either way, I am quite pleased by the outcome of this experiment. This sub hits the simulated response very nicely. The remaining question is whether or not it is hindered by the undesirable variable excursion predicted by AkAbak.

I will incorporate this data into the original posts once the questions are resolved.

For those of you anxious for the head-to-head, sorry. I chose not to attempt to blow this sub, with a side-by-side showdown, until the ground-plane is officially complete. It will happen, but not yet.

Chris
post #99 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was going to add a second terminal cup and retry the sweeps with the woofers wired parallel on two separate identical channels, but its still snowing today.

Chris
post #100 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you going to do sweeps indoors? I want to see if the response flattens out without any EQ or BEQ.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #101 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
Are you going to do sweeps indoors? I want to see if the response flattens out without any EQ or BEQ.

Yeah, I’ll take measurements inside. You’re not going to see anything you like though, my room is not friendly.

Chris
post #102 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

EXPERIMENTAL Quad JBL Devastator Build

Well, the snow stopped early this afternoon and it turned into a bright, sunny day. Back at it, can’t let frozen sky-water stand in the way of science!

To start off, I added another terminal cup and converted the box to two 2ohm loads.

Step one: cut a hole in a box.

Rewired, and verified with dmm:

I also used the 9v battery test to confirm all drivers are correct polarity.

Haul everything back outside and get it all set up again:

I unbridged the amp, and put each 2ohm load on one channel. I used the dmm to measure voltage on one channel. I set up the minidsp to send identical signals to both channels.

Performed the same sweep test. Once again, ran into mic clipping and bad noises at the same time. This time, reran the trouble sweep while standing up at the cab. I discovered that what I took to be driver distress was actually the whole cab rattling on the dolly. I was able to stop it by putting my weight on the cab. Great, there goes yesterday’s results.

Continued running sweeps. The peak got cut off due to mic clipping, but the rest of the sweep continued to increase linearly. Eventually, increase stopped and voltage readings bounced around, I ran out of amp. I never heard driver distress.

I didn’t export this graph, I do still have the data. I consider it to be of limited use due to mic clipping.

I moved the mic to 4 meters, and started up again with the sweeps. I started at higher level this time, knowing it was safe from the 2m testing. 1db increments on sweeps.

I calculated the wattage for each channel using the RMS voltage displayed by the DMM, and the Re of 1.7ohm. I multiplied by 2 to account for both channels. I didn’t convert voltage to peak.
P = V^2 / 1.7 * 2

Here’s the resulting graph:

I left off the final sweep where the amp gave out.

Since I had invalidated my stopping point from yesterday, I popped the hatch and set it back up series/parallel. I verified polarity again with 9v battery test.

I set the amp up bridged, and performed the sweeps again. Started in 3db increments, switched to 1db as levels got high. Once again, I was able to increase until hitting the limit of the amplifier. This time, I just hit mic clipping on the final clean sweep.

Again, RMS voltage was used for wattage calculation. Re of 3.4ohm was used.

Once again, I left off the final sweep where the amp gave up.

Here’s a comparison of the final clean sweeps for both wiring methods:

What did I learn from this data?
Nothing definite. Other than the fact that this cabinet can put out some serious noise.

It doesn’t seem to be hampered by the over-excursion predicted in AkAbak for series/parallel operation. Or at least isn’t showing it.

The wattages I’m recording make me doubt my voltage measurement technique. Unless my amp is highly underrated, or just high distortion at these output levels. I wish I had a an oscilloscope to check waveform.

The spl I’m recording doesn’t jive with the model at all. If I’m correct, 4m mic distance should be down 12db.

Apparently my model-output level match from yesterday was just chance, from where the mic clipped at 2m.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help me interpret this data. As of now I’m pretty lost on what I’ve measured, and where to go from here.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-09-2020 at 10:30 PM.
post #103 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 504 Post(s)
Quoted: 3296 Post(s)
Liked: 5133
Well, i am no expert, but doesn’t this look rather good?
And if 4m is 12dB down, isn’t it pretty much as modeled?

And if the problem was amp or mic related, and NOT driver maxing out, even better

But yeah, waiting fo the experts to chime in

BTW: REW has distorsion graphs too

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD-Vertex2-Oppo UDP203-XB1X-ATV4K-JVC RS600-Dreamscreen V2 120"-Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<

Last edited by Nalleh; 02-09-2020 at 06:38 PM.
post #104 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
I believe it is 6db down for doubling of distance, I know for 1m to 2m it is. Man that thing climbs from 20Hz to 30Hz. This thing would do awesome in a room that gains well!

This is the way...
Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Dual Mini Devastator Build
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | CTS 2000 | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #105 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
I believe it is 6db down for doubling of distance, I know for 1m to 2m it is. Man that thing climbs from 20Hz to 30Hz. This thing would do awesome in a room that gains well!
Yes, but the model is 1m right? So from 1m to 4m would be 12dB?

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 6x Crowsons - 4xBK-LFE - 2x12"BB - 2x "4DX" fans- 6xNU6K - Minidsp 10x10HD-Vertex2-Oppo UDP203-XB1X-ATV4K-JVC RS600-Dreamscreen V2 120"-Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #106 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Yes, but the model is 1m right? So from 1m to 4m would be 12dB?
Yes, 1m on the sims. Sim was about 117db at 20Hz, if you hit 105db that is on target.

This is the way...
Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Dual Mini Devastator Build
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | CTS 2000 | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #107 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking

Quote:
THAT'S the measurement I want to see!

post #108 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, 1m on the sims. Sim was about 117db at 20Hz, if you hit 105db that is on target.

Yeah, its not really on target. I bumped the models to 1500w just in case my voltage measurements are ballpark accurate.

Shape still looks pretty good, especially to the jbl specs.

Shape looked even better at 2m, but my mic gave up early. Hell, I’m clipping it at 4m.

Chris
post #109 of 446 Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
THAT'S the measurement I want to see!

Its one I’d love to be able to show you, lol. I don’t have said room. My room is open to the rest of the house, has weird shapes and stub-walls, is untreated, and is generally unfriendly.

Close-mic of my mini dev’s:

Response at MLP. Red is mini dev:

As I said, not pretty. I’m sure the quad will be similar.

If you know your room gain, its pretty easy to extrapolate from the ground plane model though.

Chris
post #110 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Not to derail this subject to far but how would a dual 12 sim out? While you were discussing wiring in series / parallel it occurred to me that doing a box design similar to a dts10 by cutting the dev box down the middle it would be able to fix that wiring problem and at the same time I though it would be neat that you could keep the box depth to around 14 inches for a really narrow dual 12 slim box design. I also realize you will loose some spl but if the design outweighs the negatives then building maybe eight of these may seem like a good design for some people, It would just be two $30 subs with $50 of wood after all.

I know that comparing the dts to the dev would be apple to oranges because they are not all that close in actual alignments and both have a different goal so I’m only trying to use that as an example and not a direct comparison, but it did peak my curiosity.
post #111 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 81
the general shape of the response in the passband really is close to the model to my naked eye....but that first resonance just out of the passband range seems a bit odd. have you done an impedance measurement and compared it to the model at all?
what kind of distortion are you pushing at the higher output levels? this could possibly let you know if you have that odd excursion Josh had alluded to.

great work on getting this thing put together and being so diligent on the back end with measurements and everything!

*edit*
a quick read on diagnosing impedance differences from model:
https://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/POC2/

Last edited by VegaMan; 02-10-2020 at 03:26 AM. Reason: adding reference link
post #112 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaMan View Post
the general shape of the response in the passband really is close to the model to my naked eye....but that first resonance just out of the passband range seems a bit odd. have you done an impedance measurement and compared it to the model at all?

what kind of distortion are you pushing at the higher output levels? this could possibly let you know if you have that odd excursion Josh had alluded to.

great work on getting this thing put together and being so diligent on the back end with measurements and everything!

*edit*

a quick read on diagnosing impedance differences from model:

https://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/POC2/

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing that resonance as as well, not sure what to make of that one. Its not shown in any of the models, and stays consistent in all measurements.

I don’t have the ability to measure impedance yet. Looks like I need to order some resistors.

I need to read on distortion measurements as well, not something I’ve ever done.

Chris
post #113 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Not to derail this subject to far but how would a dual 12 sim out? While you were discussing wiring in series / parallel it occurred to me that doing a box design similar to a dts10 by cutting the dev box down the middle it would be able to fix that wiring problem and at the same time I though it would be neat that you could keep the box depth to around 14 inches for a really narrow dual 12 slim box design. I also realize you will loose some spl but if the design outweighs the negatives then building maybe eight of these may seem like a good design for some people, It would just be two $30 subs with $50 of wood after all.

I know that comparing the dts to the dev would be apple to oranges because they are not all that close in actual alignments and both have a different goal so I’m only trying to use that as an example and not a direct comparison, but it did peak my curiosity.

I’m guessing it will model exactly like half of this design.
HR response of course doesn’t show the excursion issue, AkAbak does.

The goal here is not necessarily just to prove the viability of this particular design, but of multi- driver dev’s in general.
Chris
post #114 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaMan View Post
...but that first resonance just out of the passband range seems a bit odd.

I believe the mystery resonance has been identified. I talked to John, @Red Five , who speculated it could be a half wave cancellation off the QW resonator.

Looking at my mini close-mic, what I took to be the first port resonance fits pretty well with this theory:

The quad has a longer QW, resulting in a lower tune, so the resonance is pushed down:

Now to find something with a similar QW length to the quad. I stole some close-mic measurements of v1’s from @harrisu and @automata21 . The resonance is much less pronounced in these graphs, but occurs at the same frequency.

Harrisu:

Automata21:

If one of you guys saved those sweeps, I’d appreciate if you could send the REW file to me for an overlay.

Chris
Nalleh likes this.
post #115 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
I unbridged the amp, and put each 2ohm load on one channel. I used the dmm to measure voltage on one channel. I set up the minidsp to send identical signals to both channels.

Performed the same sweep test. Once again, ran into mic clipping and bad noises at the same time. This time, reran the trouble sweep while standing up at the cab. I discovered that what I took to be driver distress was actually the whole cab rattling on the dolly. I was able to stop it by putting my weight on the cab. Great, there goes yesterday’s results.

Continued running sweeps. The peak got cut off due to mic clipping, but the rest of the sweep continued to increase linearly. Eventually, increase stopped and voltage readings bounced around, I ran out of amp. I never heard driver distress.

I didn’t export this graph, I do still have the data. I consider it to be of limited use due to mic clipping.

I moved the mic to 4 meters, and started up again with the sweeps. I started at higher level this time, knowing it was safe from the 2m testing. 1db increments on sweeps.

I calculated the wattage for each channel using the RMS voltage displayed by the DMM, and the Re of 1.7ohm. I multiplied by 2 to account for both channels. I didn’t convert voltage to peak.
P = V^2 / 1.7 * 2

Here’s the resulting graph:

I left off the final sweep where the amp gave out.

Since I had invalidated my stopping point from yesterday, I popped the hatch and set it back up series/parallel. I verified polarity again with 9v battery test.

I set the amp up bridged, and performed the sweeps again. Started in 3db increments, switched to 1db as levels got high. Once again, I was able to increase until hitting the limit of the amplifier. This time, I just hit mic clipping on the final clean sweep.

Again, RMS voltage was used for wattage calculation. Re of 3.4ohm was used.

Once again, I left off the final sweep where the amp gave up.

Here’s a comparison of the final clean sweeps for both wiring methods:

What did I learn from this data?
Nothing definite. Other than the fact that this cabinet can put out some serious noise.

It doesn’t seem to be hampered by the over-excursion predicted in AkAbak for series/parallel operation. Or at least isn’t showing it.

The wattages I’m recording make me doubt my voltage measurement technique. Unless my amp is highly underrated, or just high distortion at these output levels. I wish I had a an oscilloscope to check waveform.

The spl I’m recording doesn’t jive with the model at all. If I’m correct, 4m mic distance should be down 12db.

Apparently my model-output level match from yesterday was just chance, from where the mic clipped at 2m.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help me interpret this data. As of now I’m pretty lost on what I’ve measured, and where to go from here.

Chris

Been busy. Trying to catch up.

According to the models the drivers aren't starting to reach 15mm excursion until 65 volts which is about 1200w maximum into the impedance min. I'm assuming drivers wired for 4 ohm mono. Do not multiply the rms voltage for a peak #. Run a 50 or 60hz sine into the sub and get a reading with the dmm. Whatever it reads is the voltage. I see that you went up to 38 volts maximum? According to the models that's not enough to hit 9mm one way excursion. Just starting to push it at that level.

I agree something is screwy with the SPL if that's all the voltage that's being put into it. Do you have a calibrator or is this a Umik or similar which has SPL based on a mic capsule sensitivity rating?

As far as SPL and FR shape goes, it will be different from the model. It will show increased SPL and tilted response towards the upper frequencies due to the size of the enclosure and baffle. At 28x48 this is a big front surface. EDGE and other programs can simulate this. This would explain maybe 2dB of extra SPL over the model at 100Hz. At 20Hz it wouldn't amount to much.

Back to driver excursion...The models assume everything is linear. Drivers are not in the real world. It usually starts to take more power to produce the expected output as the suspension tightens, the coils heat up and the BL drops off due to less coil in the gap. The JBL specs say these drivers have a 32mm coil length and a 12.1mm gap. The math says the one way coil overhang is 10mm. JBL says 12mm xmax. After this point the driver probably does not respond to power increases as shown in modeling. (It will take much larger inputs from here to get more excursion) 16mm would have only half the amount of coil mass still in the gap. It will likely be producing significant THD by this point. The coil leaves the gap at 22mm one way. Functionally that'd be xmech if there isn't direct physical contact by that point. Distortion would be through the roof and it may even sound like hard clipping or mechanical contact if driven that far. If the models say these drivers hit 15mm excursion at 65 volts in this cab I'd expect it to take more like 70 or even 75 volts real world. Assuming the models are on point.

Tha Akabak sim with uneven excursion loses about 3dB in SPL capability in the 30Hz range compared to the HR model. The Akabak models shows one set of drivers reaching 15mm xmax at 50 volts (750w max power roughly)(vs 65v and 1200w for drivers in parallel). I'd not expect to start seeing this until 55 to 60 volts on the real sub due to losses and non linearity in the drivers though.

If you want to do distortion measurements in the future just change the measurement range to 0-2kHz. That'll capture the 2nd-10th harmonic up to 200Hz. Make sure to use a 1m sweep length for noise rejection.

What amp are you using? It seemed like the first set of measurements were with 38 volts max but the amp was bridged mono? Drivers wired series parallel? That would be 38 volts into a 4 ohm nominal load. 425w roughly. Amp was clipping?

Here are frequency response texts of the AK sims. One is with inductance the other without. Both at 50volts, 1m, half-space.
DEV4X1250VAK.txt

DEV4X1250VAKSEMI.txt
Rowan611, Nalleh, Red Five and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Ricci; 02-10-2020 at 11:30 AM.
post #116 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again Josh.

I’ll try to clarify my measurements here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

According to the models the drivers aren't starting to reach 15mm excursion until 65 volts which is about 1200w maximum into the impedance min. I'm assuming drivers wired for 4 ohm mono. Do not multiply the rms voltage for a peak #. Run a 50 or 60hz sine into the sub and get a reading with the dmm. Whatever it reads is the voltage. I see that you went up to 38 volts maximum? According to the models that's not enough to hit 9mm one way excursion. Just starting to push it at that level.
Saturday, I quit the sweeps at 38v into mono 4 ohm. I clipped the mic at 2m, and heard what I believed to be driver distress. I later discovered it was the enclosure bouncing on the dolly.

Sunday, I started by rewiring the cab into two 2ohm loads and un-bridging the amp. I ran sweeps with the mic at 4m, ending at 39v per channel.
I then retried the sweeps with the cab back to 4ohm mono, and ended at 69v. In both cases, I tried another sweep 1db up, but was out of amp.

Here’s the comparison of the two top sweeps:

The voltage measurements were taken by watching the DMM during the sweep. It generally climbed by half a volt or so over the sweep. Is this ballpark-accurate, or do I need to run 60hz sines to determine voltage?

EDIT: Should I use the measured Re or the nominal impedance to determine Pe?

Quote:
I agree something is screwy with the SPL if that's all the voltage that's being put into it. Do you have a calibrator or is this a Umik or similar which has SPL based on a mic capsule sensitivity rating?
This is taken with a Umik, with the dip switches set to 130db sensitivity. I am using minidsp’s cal file. The only check I have is that the mic is clipping near 130db, as advertised.

Quote:
Tha Akabak sim with uneven excursion loses about 3dB in SPL capability in the 30Hz range compared to the HR model. The Akabak models shows one set of drivers reaching 15mm xmax at 50 volts (750w max power roughly)(vs 65v and 1200w for drivers in parallel). I'd not expect to start seeing this until 55 to 60 volts on the real sub due to losses and non linearity in the drivers though.
What do you make of the series/parallel and parallel 2ch measurements showing very similar levels, with the series/parallel actually slightly higher on less power?

Quote:

If you want to do distortion measurements in the future just change the measurement range to 0-2kHz. That'll capture the 2nd-10th harmonic up to 200Hz. Make sure to use a 1m sweep length for noise rejection.
Thanks, I’ll try that

EDIT: should I throw a 200hz LPF on the signal, or actually let it run up to 2k?

Quote:

What amp are you using? It seemed like the first set of measurements were with 38 volts max but the amp was bridged mono? Drivers wired series parallel? That would be 38 volts into a 4 ohm nominal load. 425w roughly. Amp was clipping?
The amp is a Stewart HPA-1000. The amp was not clipping at that level, but the mic was at 2m.

The aforementioned second day measurements, the amp was likely clipping. I don’t have an oscilloscope, so just guessing by power levels.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-10-2020 at 12:00 PM.
post #117 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Saturday, I quit the sweeps at 38v into mono 4 ohm. I clipped the mic at 2m, and heard what I believed to be driver distress. I later discovered it was the enclosure bouncing on the dolly.

Sunday, I started by rewiring the cab into two 2ohm loads and un-bridging the amp. I ran sweeps with the mic at 4m, ending at 39v per channel.
I then retried the sweeps with the cab back to 4ohm mono, and ended at 69v. In both cases, I tried another sweep 1db up, but was out of amp.
Gotcha. So you were in the range of 70 to 75 volts. This makes more sense with the SPL's measured.

Quote:
Here’s the comparison of the two top sweeps:
Quote:
The voltage measurements were taken by watching the DMM during the sweep. It generally climbed by half a volt or so over the sweep. Is this ballpark-accurate, or do I need to run 60hz sines to determine voltage?
When you increase the output level what are you controlling it with? Is it in dB increments? I run a 100w nominal 60Hz sine wave into a cab to get the baseline voltage reading. 20 volts into 4 ohm nominal for example. I write down the gain settings and get a baseline measurement. From there it's all calculated because I use a single digital gain for all level adjustments and keep track of the setting. You are probably fine but it's hard to say for sure. I always use 50-60Hz because that's where most meters, even really good ones, are most accurate.

Quote:
This is taken with a Umik, with the dip switches set to 130db sensitivity. I am using minidsp’s cal file. The only check I have is that the mic is clipping near 130db, as advertised.
Ok. I'm not sure how close the sensitivity ratings on those are.

Quote:
What do you make of the series/parallel and parallel 2ch measurements showing very similar levels, with the series/parallel actually slightly higher on less power?
I think the response curves should be matched by the response at 40Hz and above. If you look at them the FR's in this area will almost overlay exactly. It's the 30Hz area and the low frequencies that is the most different between the two. 30Hz area is where excursion is highest and where differences would be expected based on the wiring and modeling. It could be due to the driver coils being hotter on one test vs the other or the amp clipping too though. Hard to say anything definitive.

Quote:
The amp is a Stewart HPA-1000. The amp was not clipping at that level, but the mic was at 2m.

The aforementioned second day measurements, the amp was likely clipping. I don’t have an oscilloscope, so just guessing by power levels.

Thanks,
Chris
Agreed. This amp is rated at 1000w at 4ohm bridged. 400w at 16ohm bridged. Looks like the voltage ceiling is around 40v per channel based on the 8ohm ratings and current is limited to about 16A short term based on the 2ohm stereo / 4 ohm mono rating. Based on the voltages you were trying to use the amp was probably current limiting and clipping heavily on the loudest sweeps you did. Combined with the mic clipping it becomes hard to tell what is responsible for what. Got a Behringer 3K or 6K?

EDIT: I throw a LPF on for the THD measurement because I'm always running the subs really hard with the top 2 measurements and there is no excursion for cooling outside of the bass range. Throwing full power 300Hz-2kHz is a good recipe to heat coils up really quick. If I recall it's a 240Hz 4th order BW I switch on. I'd have to check for sure but I set it to cut maximum high frequency from the sub while not affecting the level of anything below 200Hz. It has zero effect on the THD results in the range of interest.

See how fun and easy this stuff is!?
Nalleh and a77cj7 like this.

Last edited by Ricci; 02-10-2020 at 12:20 PM.
post #118 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Agreed! Get a NU6K on that sucker

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #119 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again, Josh!

Quote:
When you increase the output level what are you controlling it with? Is it in dB increments? I run a 100w nominal 60Hz sine wave into a cab to get the baseline voltage reading. 20 volts into 4 ohm nominal for example. I write down the gain settings and get a baseline measurement. From there it's all calculated because I use a single digital gain for all level adjustments and keep track of the setting. You are probably fine but it's hard to say for sure. I always use 50-60Hz because that's where most meters, even really good ones, are most accurate.
I am controlling output level with REW’s sweep level. It is in 1dB increments. I was using 3dB to start,and 1dB at high levels.

Will your 100w nominal method work in this case? I can tweak the minidsp to get close to the 100w, it gives me tenth-dB increments.

I have been keeping track of settings and using only the REW level adjustment for my sweeps.

Quote:

I think the response curves should be matched by the response at 40Hz and above. If you look at them the FR's in this area will almost overlay exactly. It's the 30Hz area and the low frequencies that is the most different between the two. 30Hz area is where excursion is highest and where differences would be expected based on the wiring and modeling. It could be due to the driver coils being hotter on one test vs the other or the amp clipping too though. Hard to say anything definitive.
The curves are not adjusted, they are as-recorded. Judging by the voltage, the 2ch sweep should be higher than the mono. Inconsistently between amp channels?

Quote:

Agreed. This amp is rated at 1000w at 4ohm bridged. 400w at 16ohm bridged. Looks like the voltage ceiling is around 40v per channel based on the 8ohm ratings and current is limited to about 16A short term based on the 2ohm stereo / 4 ohm mono rating. Based on the voltages you were trying to use the amp was probably current limiting and clipping heavily on the loudest sweeps you did. Combined with the mic clipping it becomes hard to tell what is responsible for what. Got a Behringer 3K or 6K?
For higher voltage and clean power, I do have Crown DCi 4/1250’s in my theater. They are the analog version, so no voltage readout though. I would prefer not to drag one outside, but can if it will generate useful data. With 2500w on tap, I’m not so sure that magic smoke escaping counts as useful data, lol.

Would it be useful to use your 100w amp calibration to make 1000w sweeps with both driver configurations? This should insure clean power from the amp and demonstrate loss from the series/parallel configuration.

I do have a few automotive amps that are capable of 1000w at 1ohm. I can rig one to a couple batteries if we need to do an all-parallel mono run on the cab. Nothing like redneck audio testing.

Quote:
See how fun and easy this stuff is!?
I’m not so sure I ever expected this to be fun or easy. I did expect it to be easier to make determinations from the results, lol.
I am enough of an engineer and geek that this stuff is fun to me. Well, other than the temps and snow currently.

Thanks again for the help. Judging by data-bass, you have a bit of experience with this kind of measurement.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 02-10-2020 at 12:55 PM.
post #120 of 446 Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: I throw a LPF on for the THD measurement because I'm always running the subs really hard with the top 2 measurements and there is no excursion for cooling outside of the bass range. Throwing full power 300Hz-2kHz is a good recipe to heat coils up really quick. If I recall it's a 240Hz 4th order BW I switch on. I'd have to check for sure but I set it to cut maximum high frequency from the sub while not affecting the level of anything below 200Hz. It has zero effect on the THD results in the range of interest.

I can do that. The minidsp gives me plenty of filter control.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page