I used the advice from Josh,
, earlier today and performed another set of sweeps in each driver/amplifier configuration.
The box was set up in series/parallel mono, so I started there. I dragged all the gear back into the driveway again, and got it hooked up. Mic is set at 4m again.
I used the multimeter and a 60hz sinewave to set the amp at 100w for a baseline. Using 4ohm nominal impedance, that is 20v.
I ran a set of sweeps, ending at 1000w, the rating of the amp.
Voltages are recorded from DMM, wattages are calculated using the 100w baseline and the change in dB.
Ex. First sweep is -9db, 12.5w.
I checked the data by calculating the wattage using the recorded voltage. They all check within reasonable error.
Next, I popped the hatch and set it up for parallel 2ohm 2 channel operation.
I once again used the multimeter and 60hz test tone to set the baseline of 100w. In this case, I needed 50w into 2ohm per channel. This calculates to 10v.
I performed another set of sweeps, stopping at 1000w. Voltage was recorded from dmm on one channel, wattage is total calculated.
These don’t look nearly as pretty as the series/parallel, not sure what is going on.
Lets compare the 1000w sweeps from each set, and see how they match up.
Well, thats not good.
Now, let’s add in the models on 1000w.
This isn’t getting better.
The more I try to remove variables, the farther off my results are, lol. This is getting frustrating.
I do realize that I made an oversight during the parallel 2ch measurements. I intended to swap the dmm to the other channel to verify equal output, but never did. I blame being cold.
I also used Josh’s instructions to take distortion sweeps at 1000w for both configurations. I’m not sure what I’m looking at here, so I’ll just post the graphs.