I prefer to use PL Premium 3x construction adhesive for these builds. It does a very good job of sealing gaps, and has a much longer workable time than wood glue.
This was my first experience with the Kreg pocket hole joining system. I found it to be a quick and effective tool for enclosure assembly. The “Kreg Kreep” can be adjusted for by shifting the piece beforehand and using controlled torque to pull into place.
Precision assembly should be clamped to prevent creep.
I chose not to use any visible pocket holes, because I don’t think it looks good. This did greatly increase the difficulty of the build. I used a few brads as needed on the outside of the cab.
First, I assembled the horn rails onto the baffle, and the port rails onto the cabinet bottom.
On Devastator designs with a port back, the bottom port rails should be attached to the bottom port board instead.
Main cabinet assembly:
Lay out a side panel, the top panel, and the front panel. Cut pocket holes as appropriate:
Glue up these panels.
Make sure to carefully align all panels on the front face of the cabinet. This is the only face where overhang can’t be easily fixed with a router and flush trim bit.
Cut pocket holes in the baffle assembly:
Mark the back of baffle locations on the side and top panels to aid assembly:
Glue on the baffle:
Pocket-hole and glue on the port board:
Ignore the extra glue and pocket holes on front edge. “Somebody” tried to install it sideways.
Install the bottom port board. I clamped it, then used brads through the side panel, and screws into the port rails behind the baffle.
Install other side panel:
Due to warps in the ply, variable clamping and tweaking was needed to pull the cabinet into square. Notice attitude-adjustment deadblow hammer.
The front edge was pinned with brads, then pocket screws were tightened behind baffle.
Time for the bracing. Having built devastators before, I adjusted the bracing on the fly. These changes have now been added to the design files.
Flip the cabinet face-down, and mark fromt-to-back brace locations:
There is quite a few extra and extraneous holes pictured. I adjusted the bracing design half way into drilling.
Glue in front-to-back braces:
Glue in vertical braces, and lower cross brace:
Ignore the cluster%#€£ going on with the lower brace here. I drilled them for a different assembly order without checking lengths. The design has been changed in the plan.
Glue in remaining braces:
Add back panel:
Make sure edges are well sealed.
Lay out and add bracing to hatch:
Congratulations, its assembled!
Let dry for 24hrs minimum.