JTR Captivator 2400 DIY clone - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By jujuman200
  • 2 Post By lmidgitd
  • 1 Post By acribb
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 45
JTR Captivator 2400 DIY clone

I'd like to build something similar to the JTR Captivator 2400. Are there any plans available that will hit this frequency range? I like the footprint which is why I am trying to model after it. I would like to build 2 of these powered by a Behringer NU12000. Is this overkill for a 2300 cubic foot space? 90% movies. 10% music.
acribb is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
jujuman200's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
I'd like to build something similar to the JTR Captivator 2400. Are there any plans available that will hit this frequency range? I like the footprint which is why I am trying to model after it. I would like to build 2 of these powered by a Behringer NU12000. Is this overkill for a 2300 cubic foot space? 90% movies. 10% music.
Budget?

BTW.... there is NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL in this forum.....hang around for a moment and you will see what I mean.... I have a "little" system in these parts [see sig]. Yes it's all in one room being used at the same time in 2856 cubes....

That performance is not hard to do.... but in that size box.... just a little. That's a custom woofer in that box. Also notice that they don't show a chart of freq response.... The people here have insane amounts of bass in their theaters....

How much space do you have to put your boxes? @Red Five

Welcome to the rabbit hole..... bring snacks....


Juju
18Hurts and d-rail34 like this.

Sub List: 1- Red Five Mini Devastator 18" w/460HO, 1- Red Five Devastator LFE 21", 1- BOSS platform [The Hideaway Theater], 1- 21" "Marty" tuned to 20Hz, 1- 18" "Marty" tuned to 17Hz
Wish List: Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html


Last edited by jujuman200; 02-12-2020 at 10:31 PM.
jujuman200 is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post

Welcome to the rabbit hole..... bring snacks....
And money, lots of money.
jujuman200 and eriksells916 like this.
lmidgitd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 02-13-2020, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chadsmith013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jax, Florida
Posts: 4,192
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
I'd like to build something similar to the JTR Captivator 2400. Are there any plans available that will hit this frequency range? I like the footprint which is why I am trying to model after it. I would like to build 2 of these powered by a Behringer NU12000. Is this overkill for a 2300 cubic foot space? 90% movies. 10% music.
Adam...did our Jax group scare you away...lol

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 4 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Eminence NSW 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP
chadsmith013 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 02-14-2020, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
Budget?

BTW.... there is NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL in this forum.....hang around for a moment and you will see what I mean.... I have a "little" system in these parts [see sig]. Yes it's all in one room being used at the same time in 2856 cubes....

That performance is not hard to do.... but in that size box.... just a little. That's a custom woofer in that box. Also notice that they don't show a chart of freq response.... The people here have insane amounts of bass in their theaters....

How much space do you have to put your boxes? @Red Five

Welcome to the rabbit hole..... bring snacks....


Juju
Received some input from some great Jax dudes.

How about we roll with 2 ported boxes around these dimensions with each containing a SI 18" HST MK III.

33" x 21" x 22" (HxWxD)
30″x 20″x 22.5″ (HxWxD)

Power?

2 x Crown XLS 2502?

Last edited by acribb; Yesterday at 06:23 AM.
acribb is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 6,249
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
JTR Captivator 2400 DIY clone

Also don’t neglect power. One or two dedicated 20 amp circuits would also be good to run if possible.

If thinking of a clone later, run thicker wire large enough for a 30 amp line but use a 20 amp break to start.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
EndersShadow is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Also don’️t neglect power. One or two dedicated 20 amp circuits would also be good to run if possible.

If thinking of a clone later, run thicker wire large enough for a 30 amp line but use a 20 amp break to start.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran 3 12 gauge dedicated circuits each on 20amp breakers. Plus the room has a 15amp circuit for the lighting.
EndersShadow likes this.
acribb is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 11,105
Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked: 4429
The 2400 is just a normal every-day ported box.

Well, ok it has a nice custom amp and custom driver in a pre-made box, which is great for many... but other than that.

A pair of ported SI-24's, FTW-21's, RF-19's, LMS-18's etc will easily match or beat it...
Heck even a pair of UM-18's and an 6kDSP would get "fairly close".
jujuman200 likes this.
BassThatHz is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
The 2400 is just a normal every-day ported box.

Well, ok it has a nice custom amp and custom driver in a pre-made box, which is great for many... but other than that.

A pair of ported SI-24's, FTW-21's, RF-19's, LMS-18's etc will easily match or beat it...
Heck even a pair of UM-18's and an 6kDSP would get "fairly close".

Yep, absolutely! A full Marty with the UM-18 in it would come very close, and duals would crush it.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klipsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
I ran 3 12 gauge dedicated circuits each on 20amp breakers. Plus the room has a 15amp circuit for the lighting.
If wanting a clone, plan to switch the 20 Amp 120 to 20 Amp 240. You will not need to rerun wire if they are dedicated. But will need to switch breaker and outlet to accommodate.
klipsch is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off