DIYSG HT12 and Buyout Woofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By backwoods 99

post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DIYSG HT12 and Buyout Woofers

Have been running them quite a bit this past week in my living room to break them in and spend some time with them before they move downstairs. Wife definitely loves all the clutter
These are just screen grabs from Audyssey. Gonna let them continue to break in and break out the laptop this weekend and start playing around. Good first impressions. The buyout woofers are in the 4cu ft sealed enclosure and running off a crown xls 2502. I just can't believe the value ratio. It was a temp combo till the weather breaks and I can get out the saws but these guys are definitely worth more than they are priced. Can't wait to toss them in vented enclosures later this spring..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.png
Views:	302
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2690586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-160247.png
Views:	209
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2690588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-160243.png
Views:	161
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2690590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-160239.png
Views:	146
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2690592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200226-160250.png
Views:	156
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2690594  

joker927 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-26-2020, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 633 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Is that with Audyssey correction enabled? It seems to be pulling everything above 1k down a good 2-3dB.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-27-2020, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Those were the "before" from the audyssey measurements. I'm actually at a loss as to what is causing it. It's required me to have audyssey turned on or the top end is weak. My guess is the compression driver was only hand tightened to the waveguide. This was a project done by my high school daughter (her first build, I'm so proud) and there are parts that "may" have been overlooked. She couldn't align the driver with the horn, so I snugged them together, after discussing with her yesterday, she never went back and tightened them.

Since it is consistent across all 3, LR are on a different amp than the center. The marantz is xlr to LR and RCA to Center. So that rules out all those parts. Rules out the crossovers, imo. Being that it was the "before" measurement, I have to assume audyssey had no effect.

Soon as I can rid the house of noisy teenagers, I'll do some more measuring. I'll try to check the tightness on the driver/waveguides as well. I'll give some insight into the performance once the bugs are worked out and they are broken in. The subs keep getting louder as well. VERY impressive output for $1000 (amp/box included).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-27-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 2794
Make sure she put the correct crossover parts in the correct locations on the board.

post #5 of 12 Old 02-27-2020, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 191
What's your listening distance? It's pretty normal for the steady state in-room response to drop a bit as the directivity of the speaker narrows (the horn takes over). Listening distance and how "live" the room is will affect it. If you do some 1m gated measurements you'll probably find the speaker is pretty flat.

BTW, do you have a build thread showing how you did the veneer? Looks great!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-27-2020, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
My name brand speakers graphed the same way in the audyssy app. And that was with room treatment. May not be a build problem at all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 02-27-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 633 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Looking at this again I suppose it's not that unexpected for an in room response taken at multiple points. It would certainly measure a lot more uneven if the crossover was assembled incorrectly or there were issues with the drivers.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-28-2020, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Looking at this again I suppose it's not that unexpected for an in room response taken at multiple points. It would certainly measure a lot more uneven if the crossover was assembled incorrectly or there were issues with the drivers.
That was my initial thought. I reviewed/tested all 3 crossovers with no issue. It could be from multiple mic placements or the aggressive toe-in,
I will say they sound very clear with and without audyssey. HT improves with audyssey full range, but with music, I prefer them with no adjustments. That room is 16x19 but is open in the back (south) to a 20x16 kitchen and open to the right (east) to a very large dining room. The room also has cathedral ceiling about 16' high.

So far, I'm impressed and once I figure out that dip, play more with toe in and get those subs balanced, I'll happily provide a review.

As far as veneer, I just used the walnut band-it rolls from parts express and stained them with "gunstock". Applied them using dap contact cement. Basically poisoned myself with that stuff, felt sick for a day or so . Cut the pieces with a utility knife and finished them with a flush router bit on the sides of the box. I used the utility knife for around the speaker openings. Sorry, no build thread. my interaction was part time supervision, gluing and routering. Oh, but I was the one that completely botched the finish on the birch sub boxes. It's comical its so bad. I had laid down large plastic sheeting in my dining room to stain all the speakers. My daughter was gone and I was anxious to get the room cleaned (WAF) and play with the new toys. I forgot to sand the baffles AND I used the wrong stain. So those are getting painted this summer, lol. I didn't even do the backs.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods 99 View Post
HT improves with audyssey full range, but with music, I prefer them with no adjustments.
That's not surprising. You may find the best is to limit the EQ to low frequencies with the App. Auto room EQ often doesn't do the best job with controlled directivity speakers since it will over-correct the drop in the room response where the directivity of the speaker begins to limit room reflections. That's a function of directivity, not a frequency response problem. Your ears will key in on the direct sound so the speaker will still sound flat to you with no correction, but Audyssey will crank up the response which may make the speakers sound like they have too much top end.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-28-2020, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nice setup you have there. I am hoping to eventually do something similar with an LCR of HT10s or HT12s and a pair of those buyout15s ported to augment my existing SIht18. Not sure how well that would work out, so I’m interested in hiring impressions of them. How much power are you feeding them?
post #11 of 12 Old 03-01-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by designosaur View Post
Nice setup you have there. I am hoping to eventually do something similar with an LCR of HT10s or HT12s and a pair of those buyout15s ported to augment my existing SIht18. Not sure how well that would work out, so I’m interested in hiring impressions of them. How much power are you feeding them?
Currently powered by a Crown XLS 2502.

The HT-12s are each on 350w, yet I have to turn the subs down to match the rest of the front stage. My plan was to change to ported enclosures later this year. At this point, I'm now undecided. Ported is nice for controlling excursion and obvi the efficiency gain, but I'm more curious about moving to much smaller sealed boxes in more locations. If I moved ea into a 2 cu ft box, I could fit 4 or so around the room and probably be happier. At least the WAF will be higher. Either way, for the cost, NONE of these pieces can be beat.

We put the HT12s against some Klipsch R-820F and a pair of Rp-8000m. The HT12 outperform them everywhere EXCEPT bass output. If I was going without subs, the RP-8000 win. (btw, I think Klipsch PURPOSEFULLY made the R820f sound bad. There's just no excuse for that sound).

I'm getting closer to getting all these the way I like them. Big suckout around 700HZ that I'm trying to figure out. Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll post some data and reviews of all of it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
backwoods 99, I'm doing the same set up, but bought 6 buyout 15's, two per speaker for my LCR. I plan on using the buyout 15's as bass/midbass drivers and crossing them over at 200 hz or so and the HT-12's would get 200 hz and above. The plan is to use the Impact M4-15i enclosure and use longer ports to get them down to around 33 hz or so. I'm hoping this would give me an in room response somewhere in the mid to high 20 hz range. Erich, from diysoundgroup, said he would have an enclosure that might work better for my application (guessing it's a Kuda ported box for a 15" woofer) but haven't seen him list one yet. I also planned on powering my buyout 15's with Crown XLS amps, using the active crossovers. Do you think having 2 buyout 15's per channel (LCR) would over power the HT-12? I guess I was looking at this setup as being similar to the 1899's, but with 15"woofers rather than 18"woofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page