Just made $500 mistake, Crown XLS not voltage adjustable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RyanJohn
  • 2 Post By RyanJohn

post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Unhappy Just made $500 mistake, Crown XLS not voltage adjustable

Just ordered and received a setup from parts express. Purchased the 18" Ultimax and box package from parts express, along with a set of DIY Overnight Sensations (thanks @_tk for the recommendation). Very happy with my experience from them, but looks like I made a mistake on my part.

Had looked at pictures online and was stoked to see the Crown XLS has a voltage select on the back! Perfect for while living in Japan, and can take it back to the U.S. with me someday. Had everything shipped, 200 plus another 100 for taxes, and it turns out that little voltage adjustment on the back is NOT an adjustment at all, but just an indicator from the factory. *sigh* Really need to check things better in the future.

Found at least one website where people talked about modifying the inside from U.S. to Australian voltage (240 i think?), don't suppose anyone knows of how to modify it for 100V?

... figure it's a shot in the dark, but any help is appreciated! Still googling to see what I can find, maybe will get lucky searching with a few Japanese keywords.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2020, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJohn View Post
Just ordered and received a setup from parts express. Purchased the 18" Ultimax and box package from parts express, along with a set of DIY Overnight Sensations (thanks @_tk for the recommendation). Very happy with my experience from them, but looks like I made a mistake on my part.

Had looked at pictures online and was stoked to see the Crown XLS has a voltage select on the back! Perfect for while living in Japan, and can take it back to the U.S. with me someday. Had everything shipped, 200 plus another 100 for taxes, and it turns out that little voltage adjustment on the back is NOT an adjustment at all, but just an indicator from the factory. *sigh* Really need to check things better in the future.

Found at least one website where people talked about modifying the inside from U.S. to Australian voltage (240 i think?), don't suppose anyone knows of how to modify it for 100V?

... figure it's a shot in the dark, but any help is appreciated! Still googling to see what I can find, maybe will get lucky searching with a few Japanese keywords.

Ryan
I work for a Japanese company in the US and we have directly plugged 100V Japanese electronics into a 110V US socket...the plug is one and the same. Do some more research but you should be ok. Not sure but the amp may have to work a little harder since it is getting slightly less voltage but I doubt I would pay the 200 to ship it back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2020, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks @tjambro , I actually already have an Outlaw 5 channel amp that I brought when I relocated to Japan many years ago. Could not get it to work on the 100V supply.

I will take your advice and try it out tomorrow morning, if it turns on but supplies less power I will have no qualms, it is an xls2002 so should have enough power even if a 20% drop.

Maybe just venting because I am so frustrated with myself for not checking better previous to purchasing.

Ryan
tjambro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Fired it up with two of the theater rear speakers. I have sound!

Going to try checking with Crown if there are any concerns using a 120V setup on 100V mains. If it's just a power output reduction, no problem on my end.

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200307_164341_1583568699772.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	2694566  
18Hurts and tjambro like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2020, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Why not get a variac? I ran a 220V Cinepro off a basic step-up transformer off standard 110V US for quite a while and it did just fine, a variac is the same thing but variable. I have one good for 3000VA that takes 110V to 220V, they're not all that expensive.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2020, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Yeah, you'll have to step up to the iTech's or PowerSoft K series or Gruppen PLM's if you want universal.
The XTI 6002 is Class-D and has official support for 100v, and 120v and 240v. (Not sure if it would do 208V though...)

Alternatively you could buy a step-down variac from a higher 200v source (ideally)... or less ideally step-up the 100v.
They tend to hum a bit though... (and are big and ugly.)

Are you 50hz or 60hz there?
50hz is unoptimal for such stuff too.

Products from US and Canada are 120V 60hz (120v hot and 0v neutral), the large appliances and devices are 240V 60hz split-phase (+120v hot and -120v hot.)

I don't think 100v 50hz would immediately kill it,
but it might die (or at-least not be happy) at higher volumes.

105V and less, is considered "brownout territory" over here.
(It would warrant a call to the power company to install another/bigger/closer pole-transformer over here.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page