DIY 18 Options for Small Theater Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By Craig S King

post #1 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
DIY 18 Options for Small Theater Room

I've just moved into a new house with a dedicated theater space and getting my system back up and running. At this point the room is mostly setup and will be a 7.2.4 setup in a 11.5x17x 9 space so 1,759.5 cubic ft. I currently took my old SVS SB2000 from my music system to use for now to do some testing and the rest of the system is Kef R series for the fronts and kef CI 8 inch for surrounds and atmos. Doing the math the room should boost everything below 30Hz and below. I did some sweeps with the sub on the left of the equipment console and right of the equipment console as I only have the one sub until i build some new ones and it confirms the sub 30Hz boost. I am looking at building 2 18 inch subs and they will be on the front wall below a projection screen when the room is complete. Looking at the in room response I don't think that i need something like a Full or even mini marty and i doubt i could get that to fit. I think the max height i want is about 30" so a Johnny Sub with modifications is an option and i will be building it myself as i have all to tools so i can modify the dimensions somewhat to fit and i have not purchased my final console yet but it will probably be the 47" ikea besta. For amplification i will be using some spare parts form work to create a 1500W per channel using 2 pascal LPRO2S modules each in BTL mode and controlled by a Analog Devices ADAU1452 DSP. ( it's a bit overkill but that's what we have ). What i am really confused about right now is there are so many options in the DIY 18 space that the speaker selection part is all a bit confusing. I was looking at the UM18-22 but then I have seen the FI HT-1 and HT-3 pop up but they don't seem to be as common but model similarly at this price point money is not the major issue and it is more about fitting a good solution in the space. I'm just looking to hear some input from those with similar smaller spaces. This will also be probably 90% or greater home theater use. Not sure if i would want sealed or ported at this point either due to the in room boost.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	2701514  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnicholas View Post
I don't think that i need something like a Full or even mini marty and i doubt i could get that to fit.
Thanks
Neeeed...now that's funny

What's your budget? Do you have approximate measurements of your intended location?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #3 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I've already built two 18" driver mini marty boxes for a gaming and media room that is 11'x14'x8' that are waiting to be used. I have yet to finish mudding the room but the more I think about it and come to my senses I am realizing no way is a room that small needed even a single one of those. Perhaps two 12's or a single 15 in that small of a space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
the more I think about it and come to my senses I am realizing no way is a room that small needed even a single one of those.

You're probably right - better do 4 of them instead.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Neeeed...now that's funny

What's your budget? Do you have approximate measurements of your intended location?
I was budgeting somewhere in the $1000 range for the woofers but might be slightly flexible. The boundary size is probably a max of 30x30x30 each sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page