Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face Theater Planning Help

Hello Everyone,

First off, I've been reading this forum for nearly a decade; and planning a DIY stereo build ever since. You guys are inspiring and intimidating all at once. After getting several other life events out of the way (school, marriage, baby, 1st home purchase), I am finally ready to get this put together.

Additional Info/Questions:
  • 2 Channel playback is perfect for me, I listen to music more critically than gaming/movies. I do all of that on this setup.
  • Current arrangement attached.
  • I'd like to upgrade to DIYSG horns of some kind, curious what you feel might fit best in this space. My heart says titans but my brain says ht series.
  • I have an old SI HT18" sub driver I bought some time ago and never built. Possible ported Sonosub?
  • Probably going to bass trap the 3 closest corners.
  • Could use suggestions on additional accoustic treament for the rest. Guess and check is fine but I am guessing a QRD diffuser behind the futon and a panel on the near wall for that 1st reflection.
Thank you HT gurus. I prostrate myself before the altar of SEOS horns, infinite baffles, and 20kw sub amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home theater draft.png
Views:	29
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	2703388  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Sullivan View Post
Hello Everyone,

First off, I've been reading this forum for nearly a decade; and planning a DIY stereo build ever since. You guys are inspiring and intimidating all at once. After getting several other life events out of the way (school, marriage, baby, 1st home purchase), I am finally ready to get this put together.

Additional Info/Questions:
  • 2 Channel playback is perfect for me, I listen to music more critically than gaming/movies. I do all of that on this setup.
  • Current arrangement attached.
  • I'd like to upgrade to DIYSG horns of some kind, curious what you feel might fit best in this space. My heart says titans but my brain says ht series.
  • I have an old SI HT18" sub driver I bought some time ago and never built. Possible ported Sonosub?
  • Probably going to bass trap the 3 closest corners.
  • Could use suggestions on additional accoustic treament for the rest. Guess and check is fine but I am guessing a QRD diffuser behind the futon and a panel on the near wall for that 1st reflection.
Thank you HT gurus. I prostrate myself before the altar of SEOS horns, infinite baffles, and 20kw sub amps.
With what you've shared so far, I'd actually bump your budget a bit and build a pair of Philharmonic BMR's. They are a lot smaller than the Titan's, but much higher fidelity along the lines of the Sierra 2's. They are out of stock currently, but that's a COVID-19 supply chain thing everyone is dealing with...

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ph...r-speaker-kit/

There are some flat pack kits available as well, but I don't have the link... Dennis (the designer) is working with someone else for those...

I'd also add a second sub. Music or movies don't matter. 2 (or more) subs are all about reproducing the longer wavelengths more evenly across your space so they sound better... Multiple subs smooth out peaks and nulls related to trying to reproduce a 50 ft. wavelength (20ish Hz) in a room that has no dimension that long.

After that, shoot for absorption behind you and at first reflection points if you can, and roughly 1/3 of surfaces. that includes floor/ceiling. after that you may want diffusion, but most don't need it...

Also, if you listen to music more critically, the 2 designs are drastically different... the Titan/HT line are controlled directivity which lessen the room interaction. the BMR and traditional designs intend to have reflection and room interaction. The result is that some find (generally speaking), CD designs don't sound as open or wide of a soundstage. Some find the opposite, but the way the 2 designs interact with the room are different and should affect your treatments.. more where they go than what you treat with though... I think both designs are good, but the BMR is probably a safer bet for someone more critical toward music.

All that said, there are some generalizations that aren't always true in there, and I personally haven't heard either speaker, so take that with a grain of salt. they are all great speakers too... make no mistake.

The biggest key though, add at least one more sub. The best places in the room to reproduce bass frequencies aren't the same as the best locations to reproduce a stereo image, lol.

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page