Honey Badger's curved DIYSG 1099 build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By kmerhar
  • 4 Post By kmerhar
  • 1 Post By hotbeef
  • 1 Post By dtsdig
  • 2 Post By kmerhar
  • 1 Post By kmerhar
  • 1 Post By DRC3

post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Honey Badger's curved DIYSG 1099 build

Howdy ya'll

Starting a build thread for my curved 1099s to be used in the media room. Plan is to make the LR towers about 46in high and then put the center on a cabinet under the TV. Will finish the cabs in Walnut and then attach the DIYSG baffles to the front of the curved Walnut cabs.

I do have a question before I can go further. Can anyone provide measurements of where the braces are located in their 1099 cabinets for the mid chamber? I am not able to measure the baffles since the kits are out of stock. I'll just keep building and then attach the DIYSG baffles and install the parts once they arrive.

I am getting ready to cut the front inner baffle and rear panels and need to know where to route the channels for my braces.

So far I've cut and shaped all of the braces/top bottom. Next up is cutting the front/rear panels and then gluing up the skeletons. Onces those are done, I'll begin laminating the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_210612.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	2704682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_210616.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	2704684   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200401_210546.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	755.8 KB
ID:	2704686  
krholmberg likes this.

Last edited by kmerhar; 04-02-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Been making big progress. Been recording some video since I don't see much 1099 video content. Will post once all is done and edited. In the meantime, here are some phone snaps of the progress. These suckers are going to be HUGE compared to the Core 2-Ways they're replacing haha.

First, let's go into some background.

Wife and I used to live in Seattle, WA and we had an incredible Statements setup with 3 Statements for LCR, (2) dual-opposed bass bins to add deep extension, and (4) 18in woofers in a IB setup for bass. The Statements each had XPA-1 block for power and the subs were powered by (2) Inuke 6000DSPs. It was great for critical istening and did very well with movies. But I had always wanted the effortless-ness of high efficiency speakers. Wife and I love watching live music blurays and they did really well until they ran out of steam. Awesome for close to reference volume, but you could hear the strain when really pushed.

Then we moved to TX and I sold the setup to my parents. I was transitioning into car stuff and we were getting into a new house, so I used the opportunity to make some changes. The sound system sucked, but the car build was kickass!

Onto now, I'm finally building the setup I've been dreaming about for 4 years. 3 1099s for LCR, 2 magnum 12s for midbass, and an IB in the attic. Will eventually replace the in-wall speakers that provide Atmos and Surround with volts. Progress on the 1099s.

Built a skeleton to wrap the sides around. 0.5 in MDF front and .75 backs.

Suckers are definitely huge in comparison. 47.5in tall

I used PL construction adhesive to adhere the first layer to the "ribs." Moved to Titebond for the subsequent lamination layers.

Because I no longer have a woodshop, my cuts were a bit rougher than expected and there were plenty of gaps to fill. Let's just say I used plenty of bondo and sanding.

I am finishing them in Walnut. The finish is Watco Dark Walnut + 3 coats of wipe on poly. Going for a hand-rubbed look. Next steps are trim the veneer for the cutouts and wax. Getting excited.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200417_203834.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	863.9 KB
ID:	2720928   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200418_004223.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	815.7 KB
ID:	2720930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_144042.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	913.0 KB
ID:	2720932   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_144046.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	852.3 KB
ID:	2720934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_144050.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	671.4 KB
ID:	2720936  

Name:	2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_1243.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	810.2 KB
ID:	2720940   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_9946.jpg
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	2720942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_180759.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2720944   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_205017.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2720946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_000639.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	947.0 KB
ID:	2720948  

Last edited by kmerhar; 05-04-2020 at 10:36 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerhar View Post
Been making big progress. Been recording some video since I don't see much 1099 video content. Will post once all is done and edited. In the meantime, here are some phone snaps of the progress. These suckers are going to be HUGE compared to the Core 2-Ways they're replacing haha.

First, let's go into some background.

Wife and I used to live in Seattle, WA and we had an incredible Statements setup with 3 Statements for LCR, (2) dual-opposed bass bins to add deep extension, and (4) 18in woofers in a IB setup for bass. The Statements each had XPA-1 block for power and the subs were powered by (2) Inuke 6000DSPs. It was great for critical istening and did very well with movies. But I had always wanted the effortless-ness of high efficiency speakers. Wife and I love watching live music blurays and they did really well until they ran out of steam. Awesome for close to reference volume, but you could hear the strain when really pushed.

Then we moved to TX and I sold the setup to my parents. I was transitioning into car stuff and we were getting into a new house, so I used the opportunity to make some changes. The sound system sucked, but the car build was kickass!

Onto now, I'm finally building the setup I've been dreaming about for 4 years. 3 1099s for LCR, 2 magnum 12s for midbass, and an IB in the attic. Will eventually replace the in-wall speakers that provide Atmos and Surround with volts. Progress on the 1099s.

Built a skeleton to wrap the sides around. 0.5 in MDF front and .75 backs.

Suckers are definitely huge in comparison. 47.5in tall

I used PL construction adhesive to adhere the first layer to the "ribs." Moved to Titebond for the subsequent lamination layers.

Because I no longer have a woodshop, my cuts were a bit rougher than expected and there were plenty of gaps to fill. Let's just say I used plenty of bondo and sanding.

I am finishing them in Walnut. The finish is Watco Dark Walnut + 3 coats of wipe on poly. Going for a hand-rubbed look. Next steps are trim the veneer for the cutouts and wax. Getting excited.
Very nice fabrication! I briefly toyed with building curved cabinets, but decided to stick with 'standard' box & Duratex as it IS for the theater! I am sitting here after applying the D-tex to the L/R pair.

Although I built the box for the center, and bought the baffle for horizontal use, I find myself questioning building 3 vertical and going for an AT screen. Anyway, I mostly wanted to comment on your outstanding work. My 1099s are far more pedestrian!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wow, those are looking awesome! Also, love the COTA pics! My family lives in Austin and every time I go out, we hit a track day because my brother works for a race company. Last time he got me a session in a Mclaren 675LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shivaji likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDOC View Post
Very nice fabrication! I briefly toyed with building curved cabinets, but decided to stick with 'standard' box & Duratex as it IS for the theater! I am sitting here after applying the D-tex to the L/R pair.

Although I built the box for the center, and bought the baffle for horizontal use, I find myself questioning building 3 vertical and going for an AT screen. Anyway, I mostly wanted to comment on your outstanding work. My 1099s are far more pedestrian!
Haha, thanks. I deeply regretted the curved cabinets about half way through. Haha. They're so much more tedious and laminating the sides is so much more work. It took me 2 weeks of adding layers every day to get them done. Hoping they're worth the wait! hehe

I'd make the change to a vertical center now! Vertical will always sound more natural and AT screens are so cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbeef View Post
Wow, those are looking awesome! Also, love the COTA pics! My family lives in Austin and every time I go out, we hit a track day because my brother works for a race company. Last time he got me a session in a Mclaren 675LT.

Nice! What organization? LOVE COTA. Such a blessing to be close enough to drive it so much!

Degenerate track rat, serial amateur speaker builder, and over confident mechanic.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Haha, thanks. I deeply regretted the curved cabinets about half way through. Haha. They're so much more tedious and laminating the sides is so much more work. It took me 2 weeks of adding layers every day to get them done. Hoping they're worth the wait! hehe

I'd make the change to a vertical center now! Vertical will always sound more natural and AT screens are so cool!

Nice! What organization? LOVE COTA. Such a blessing to be close enough to drive it so much!

He used to work for Winding Road Racing but now works for Competition Motorsports

post #7 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 12:28 PM

So I am assembling the drivers for the 1099s, and as I was putting a dab of Loctite on the studs in the compression drivers ... in keeping with the secondary theme of this thread:

DRILL & SAFETY WIRE INSTEAD!

One of these days I will head out to Barber Motorsports to do a track day. At my age I will probably do it on 4 wheels rather than 2, but am equipped for both
post #8 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
He used to work for Winding Road Racing but now works for Competition Motorsports

Nice! I see the CM guys out there all the time. They typically have some pretty nice equipment

Quote:
So I am assembling the drivers for the 1099s, and as I was putting a dab of Loctite on the studs in the compression drivers ... in keeping with the secondary theme of this thread:

DRILL & SAFETY WIRE INSTEAD!

One of these days I will head out to Barber Motorsports to do a track day. At my age I will probably do it on 4 wheels rather than 2, but am equipped for both
I need to drive Barber real bad. Probably won't make it in 2020, but hopefully 2021. I used to drive out to Road Atlanta 2x a year. Favorite place on Earth!

Degenerate track rat, serial amateur speaker builder, and over confident mechanic.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
post #10 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
These 1099's sure look a little familiar! Nice job!
Hehe, yours were definitely the inspiration!

post #11 of 19 Old 05-04-2020, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Awesome build! Love the veneer on them.

Love your mustang too though I am a little partial to mustangs
post #12 of 19 Old 05-06-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Nice! I see the CM guys out there all the time. They typically have some pretty nice equipment

I need to drive Barber real bad. Probably won't make it in 2020, but hopefully 2021. I used to drive out to Road Atlanta 2x a year. Favorite place on Earth!
Back in the 70s (yep, I'm old!) we went to Road Atlanta for both MX & RR. That was my first exposure to a real road course, just spectating. After that I could never understand basic ovals for cars or bikes (unless they were dirt ). I have a 12 yr old Aussie 4 door I would dearly love to thrash about at Barber or Road Atlanta. Alas, I am not sure I will ever get around to it!
post #13 of 19 Old 05-11-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_marinelli View Post
Awesome build! Love the veneer on them.

Love your mustang too though I am a little partial to mustangs
Excellent choice in cars

And thanks on the veneer. It came out great. Will be posting some pics here shortly now that they're "mostly" finished.

Quote:
Back in the 70s (yep, I'm old!) we went to Road Atlanta for both MX & RR. That was my first exposure to a real road course, just spectating. After that I could never understand basic ovals for cars or bikes (unless they were dirt ). I have a 12 yr old Aussie 4 door I would dearly love to thrash about at Barber or Road Atlanta. Alas, I am not sure I will ever get around to it!
Road Atlanta is seriously heaven on Earth. LOVE that place. Won't make it this year, but I was out last June and had an absolute blast. And completely agree with you about oval stuff. Road racing is so much more engaging, diverse, and fun to watch for me. I've driven on both and the oval stuff has it's fun (and it's much harder than most realize), but the RR stuff is where it's at for me. Especially in this car. Braking and thrashing about in the turns is half the fun!

dltnjarrel and Chris Popovich like this.

Last edited by kmerhar; 05-11-2020 at 12:25 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I had a chance to finish my first set of poly coats. I decided to go ahead and get them assembled and ready for last weekend for some enthusiastic rock band, concert blurays, and movie marathons. I plan to do some additional finish work at a later date. But given that I used oil-based poly, these have a few weeks of off-gasing anyways.

So first impressions are in line with most - WOW! They sure have some serious capability compared to what I'm used to. Effortless reference levels, incredible sound stage, and excellent dynamics. Exactly what I was looking for! These things will make you feel like you're at the concert. So cool!

So insane I can get this much performance out of only 120w per channel. I can hear they'd benefit from some big power reserves to help clean up the dynamics at reference levels, tho. I noticed the same improvement when I fed my Statement IIs from XPA-1 monoblocks. Will likely investigate something along the lines of Hypex amps in the future!

Here are some pics to hold you over. Editing the video of assembly now, so will post that by this weekend hopefully.

Veneer came out great

Love the curved center. Fits in great. Sneak peek of my other project below it. I'll create a separate thread for that. Still working on some bugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6433.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2725924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6435.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1,017.1 KB
ID:	2725926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6434.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2725928  
hotbeef likes this.

post #15 of 19 Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Alright, so I had a chance to finish my first set of poly coats. I decided to go ahead and get them assembled and ready for last weekend for some enthusiastic rock band, concert blurays, and movie marathons. I plan to do some additional finish work at a later date. But given that I used oil-based poly, these have a few weeks of off-gasing anyways.

So first impressions are in line with most - WOW! They sure have some serious capability compared to what I'm used to. Effortless reference levels, incredible sound stage, and excellent dynamics. Exactly what I was looking for! These things will make you feel like you're at the concert. So cool!

So insane I can get this much performance out of only 120w per channel. I can hear they'd benefit from some big power reserves to help clean up the dynamics at reference levels, tho. I noticed the same improvement when I fed my Statement IIs from XPA-1 monoblocks. Will likely investigate something along the lines of Hypex amps in the future!

Here are some pics to hold you over. Editing the video of assembly now, so will post that by this weekend hopefully.

Veneer came out great

Love the curved center. Fits in great. Sneak peek of my other project below it. I'll create a separate thread for that. Still working on some bugs.

Man, those look awesome!!! You mentioned looking into something Hypex based, I just picked up a NAD M27, and it’s been amazing so far! I was originally planning on going D-Sonic which use Pascal modules but the NAD came up used at a price I couldn’t pass up. Do you mind if I share your pics on my Instagram? If you are on the gram I can tag you for credit

post #16 of 19 Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 183
LOL- I was just on Mustang 6G and I have a GT350 too. Small world. Speakers look great, well done.
post #17 of 19 Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Man, those look awesome!!! You mentioned looking into something Hypex based, I just picked up a NAD M27, and it’s been amazing so far! I was originally planning on going D-Sonic which use Pascal modules but the NAD came up used at a price I couldn’t pass up. Do you mind if I share your pics on my Instagram? If you are on the gram I can tag you for credit

Nice! I've heard good things about the NAD amps! M27 looks great. I need something 2-channel or 3-channel I think. I'll have to keep my eyes open! and sure thing @honeybadger moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
LOL- I was just on Mustang 6G and I have a GT350 too. Small world. Speakers look great, well done.
Nice! I feel like the two hobbies go well together? Both drain the wallet and are completely overkill

What year/color do you have?

post #18 of 19 Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Nice! I've heard good things about the NAD amps! M27 looks great. I need something 2-channel or 3-channel I think. I'll have to keep my eyes open! and sure thing @honeybadger moves

Nice! I feel like the two hobbies go well together? Both drain the wallet and are completely overkill

Right on! Thanks man! Check out D-Sonic if you haven’t, they have some 2-3 channel options. I just saw a NAD M22 v2 on eBay that sold for like 2100, that was a solid deal

post #19 of 19 Old 05-14-2020, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

LOL- Drain the wallet is right...need something to break up the day to day though and these hobbies do go well together.

I have a white 2019- Kooks Headers and FFE...CAI and tune. Did FRPP lowering springs and sway bar kit. I hope to hit a track this summer...It would be my first time. Enjoyed your posts and like your speakers...super cool.
kmerhar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page