Which sub? What to do? What to do?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Audiophile75
  • 1 Post By hd0823

post #1 of 19 Old 04-23-2020, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Which sub? What to do?

Hey guys, We will be moving shortly and I'm ordering parts for my LCR speakers for the family room.
I am going to also need a new sub as I wont really be able to use the IB in this house. Im torn between which sub to use. I want to do a horn and like both the submaximus and the devastator. I haven't been keeping up with all the revisions and iterations of both so I am looking for your advice. I will have a HT setup eventually so this doesnt have to be the end all be all but I would like to have some pretty decent output. I do like listening to music and it will share both music as well as movie duty, but I do not need the LFE extension I currently get from my IB. The amp is an old but strong Samson SX3200 that is rated at 2200 watts into 8 ohms mono, so I have a decent amount of power. This will probably be tucked away in a corner closet next to the entertainment center firing out into the room. I was looking at the B&C 21DS115 in either of the enclosures. It sounds like the devastator might have a little deeper extension while the submaximus might have a little more output? Or am I off base?

I will do some more reading up on both when I get back into the office. I do like my IB and it plays 10Hz effortlessly, but it does lack some in the midbass region (as do my current speakers, so double whammy). In all reality, we use the sub more for movies than music. Hopefully that will change once I build my new speakers.

Looking for feedback and recommendations from those who have built either/or both and their opinions.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all the feedback!

Brad

Last edited by paintguy; 04-24-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintguy View Post
Hey guys, We will be moving shortly and I'm ordering parts for my LCR speakers for the family room.
I am going to also need a new sub as I wont really be able to use the IB in this house. Im torn between which sub to use. I want to do a horn and like both the submaximus and the devastator. I haven't been keeping up with all the revisions and iterations of both so I am looking for your advice. I will have a HT setup eventually so this doesnt have to be the end all be all but I would like to have some pretty decent output. I do like listening to music and it will share both music as well as movie duty, but I do not need the LFE extension I currently get from my IB. The amp is an old but strong Samson SX3200 that is rated at 2200 watts into 8 ohms mono, so I have a decent amount of power. This will probably be tucked away in a corner closet next to the entertainment center firing out into the room. I was looking at the B&C 21DS115 in either of the enclosures. It sounds like the devastator might have a little deeper extension while the submaximus might have a little more output? Or am I off base?

I will do some more reading up on both when I get back into the office. I do like my IB and it plays 10Hz effortlessly, but it does lack some in the midbass region (as do my current speakers, so double whammy). In all reality, we use the sub more for movies than music. Hopefully that will change once I build my new speakers.

Looking for feedback and recommendations from those who have built either/or both and their opinions.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to all the feedback!

Brad
Well, the B&C 21DS115 has been ordered along with all the drivers and crossover components for my LCR speakers.

All five speakers will be driven off of an Emotiva XPA-5 at around 300 watts per channel.

The sub is going to go into a Submaximus V3 and will be fed with 2200 watts. That should make it sing. Location plan is to hide it away in a closet. I will probably start another build thread for it when I start (and figure out how to post pics).

Should work fine for the family room. Next steps will be sound for the shop, and eventually a concrete storm shelter/HT.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Wow! is this your first sub build. The Submaximus V3 is a Submaximus V3 build IMO.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Wow! is this your first sub build. The Submaximus V3 is a Submaximus V3 build IMO.
Not my first sub build, but it will be the first horn I have ever built. Looking forward to it. Hopefully I can post some pics worthwhile. Maybe the mains too, even though they are an older but proven design from another forum. They will be using the PE reference drivers.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

What is the process for uploading photos in here? Just search my hard drive (or phone) and "insert image" or down below on the "attach files" tab?
post #6 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
What is the process for uploading photos in here? Just search my hard drive (or phone) and "insert image" or down below on the "attach files" tab?
Scroll down the "reply to thread" page and select the "Manage attachment" tab

Then upload your photos

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #7 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks!!
post #8 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Just for an FYI, you can move the mouth to either side of the box. They both measure they same. You will have to still put the board in whichever side you choose.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-24-2020, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Just for an FYI, you can move the mouth to either side of the box. They both measure they same. You will have to still put the board in whichever side you choose.
These you have are the original Submaximus, correct? I remember seeing a few snippets of this type arrangement but upon review could not find solid plans. I will still be running the taller V3 for now especially since I only will have one sub, but would love to get more info on this type setup (drawings, response, SPL, appropriate drivers, etc) if not for future plans, at least add it to my files of info. I like this type of arrangement.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
These you have are the original Submaximus, correct? I remember seeing a few snippets of this type arrangement but upon review could not find solid plans. I will still be running the taller V3 for now especially since I only will have one sub, but would love to get more info on this type setup (drawings, response, SPL, appropriate drivers, etc) if not for future plans, at least add it to my files of info. I like this type of arrangement.
Them are the f20s I believe. You'll love the v3 it actually has more extension than the devastator and more spl but size is way bigger. I built 4 v3s and 2 devastators the v3 was actually my first sub build. While alot harder than a ported build its really not that bad with a little time and patience. I also have the bc21ds115s loaded in them and I promise you won't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #11 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
These you have are the original Submaximus, correct?

I would love to get more info on this type setup (drawings, response, SPL, appropriate drivers, etc) if not for future plans, at least add it to my files of info. I like this type of arrangement.
Actually no. Mine are the mini max version with the 15s called the F20, designed by lilmike.

This ARRANGEMENT was originally designed by @LTD02 for his friends quad max build but never got utilized. I stumbled upon his arraignment for a even better install for me. I just measured what he needed to prove that it works, it does very well, No issues.

This photo is what I stumbled across for the max build that inspired my build.

FYI - Good call on Max vs Dev option although neither is a BAD call.

I just replaced two F20s with four Dual Devs for a six Dev setup, four Dual Devs and two Mini Devs.
Four of the 21 Max are my END GAME build coupled with a BOSS couch / Chair. I know that now..... if they fit.
paintguy likes this.

Last edited by Audiophile75; 04-25-2020 at 01:42 AM.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

A single V3 should do exactly what I am looking for right now. Once we build our house and build the inevitable dedicated HT, then the dev's will probably fill the main duty, with an IB filling out the absolute lowest octave. Thanks for the clarification.

Once I get everything in and rolling I'll start a build thread for the V3.

Attached is a pic of where it is going. It'll be firing towards the other closet on the other side of the window.

I'll get back to you guys in a bit. They are pouring the concrete right now for my new shop build! I'll see if I can get up in the high reach and take a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closetpic200425.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	2716106  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Already got 70 yards in. Probably gonna need another 16 - 20 ... ouch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Concrete200425.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2716108  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Actually no. Mine are the mini max version with the 15s called the F20, designed by lilmike.

This ARRANGEMENT was originally designed by @LTD02 for his friends quad max build but never got utilized. I stumbled upon his arraignment for a even better install for me. I just measured what he needed to prove that it works, it does very well, No issues.

This photo is what I stumbled across for the max build that inspired my build.

FYI - Good call on Max vs Dev option although neither is a BAD call.

I just replaced two F20s with four Dual Devs for a six Dev setup, four Dual Devs and two Mini Devs.
Four of the 21 Max are my END GAME build coupled with a BOSS couch / Chair. I know that now..... if they fit.
Yeah I never got to utilize that design. I really wanted to but didn't have enough room to lay them that way only had 73 inchs. Glad someone used it. I felt bad having him design it and it go to waste.

post #15 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Already got 70 yards in. Probably gonna need another 16 - 20 ... ouch
What is that 40x60 looks like its going to be awesome when finished.

paintguy likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
What is that 40x60 looks like its going to be awesome when finished.

40 x 80 ... ended up using 90 yards.

I'll post up the final pic
post #17 of 19 Old 04-25-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I started a thread a few months back titled "upcoming shop build" and it was in reference to this building. @hd0823 , you replied to that one. Gonna need some serious loudspeakers to fill her with sound. I was thinking the Titan 615's and most likely a sub. Or possibly, just a pair of the 1899's. If the V3 ends up overpowering my mains, I may relocate it out to the shop and build a smaller downfiring sub for the house. Attached is the final pic of the slab all polished up and control cuts done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concretefinal200425.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2716488  
post #18 of 19 Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I remember that now and thought your avs name looked familiar. Can't wait to see how it turns out . That's alot of concrete. I plan on doing a 40x60 in a couple years nothing super fancy pretty much like the pic . That gives me a idea about the amount of concrete it will take

post #19 of 19 Old 04-27-2020, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I remember that now and thought your avs name looked familiar. Can't wait to see how it turns out . That's alot of concrete. I plan on doing a 40x60 in a couple years nothing super fancy pretty much like the pic . That gives me a idea about the amount of concrete it will take

That'll be nice! Definitely go with taller sidewalls if you can. If its going to be a pole barn, then concrete will be alot easier to calculate. figure the yards for each footer and then the square footage by 4" (or 6" if you prefer). I had some extreme footers along with oversize column pads because of a dividing wall along with engineering to withstand sustained 140 mph winds down here in FL (code). I also went with a 6" slab across the whole thing due to the weight of potential equipment that will be in it along with an automotive lift and used 5000 psi fiber reinforced concrete. If I want to move the lift or cut floor pots in, I wont be limited by location due to a thinner 4' slab anywhere either.

Mine is also going to be red steel, so that also figures into the footers. It all adds up. Definitely budget in the concrete work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page