Looking for help with tuning two full marty enclosures /w minidsp HD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for help with tuning two full marty enclosures /w minidsp HD

I just finished getting my first two full marty enclosures built with the Dayton audio 18" UM18-22 subwoofers. I curerently have a beringer 6000D amplifier to push them and a mini dsp HD 2x4 to control the crossover points. I have never had to control the frequency before like this on any of my other previous installs. so I don't really have a clue to where even start. Was wondering if anyone can walk me thru this or if they live local to Dallas/Ft worth could come stop by and lend me a hand?

LG 77" C9 Living room, LG 65" C9 Man-Cave, Samsung UN55JS9000 Bedroom, Yamaha RX-A3050, Emotiva XPA-5, 2 Klipsch - RF7 III (Left and Right Front 1 - Klipsch RC-64 III (Center channel) 4 Dayton Audio 18" 18-22UM in Full Marty roundover enclosures (Sub)
4 Klipsch- RP-250S (Side surrounds & Rear surrounds) 4 Klipsch- CDT-5800-II (Ceiling Atmos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
One suggestion that's mostly just my preference... Use the DSP built into the 6000D for your protective high pass filter and set the limiter. That way your miniDSP just sees a subwoofer and you can leave that to correcting any frequency response issues or "BassEQ" rather than using it to protect your subs, as well. You can find some decent instructions on doing this with the inuke pretty easily if you look around, but let me know if you can't.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ive been trying to figure this out for the past 6 hours and so far my one klipsch 12” has more bass than both of these 18” subs.. something isnt set right at all. I have all the gains for subwoofer in the yamaha rxa-3050 maxed to +6.0 and the gain level on the behringer set to 1 o clock position. Anymore than that and it starts humming really really bad..

LG 77" C9 Living room, LG 65" C9 Man-Cave, Samsung UN55JS9000 Bedroom, Yamaha RX-A3050, Emotiva XPA-5, 2 Klipsch - RF7 III (Left and Right Front 1 - Klipsch RC-64 III (Center channel) 4 Dayton Audio 18" 18-22UM in Full Marty roundover enclosures (Sub)
4 Klipsch- RP-250S (Side surrounds & Rear surrounds) 4 Klipsch- CDT-5800-II (Ceiling Atmos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomnymods View Post
Ive been trying to figure this out for the past 6 hours and so far my one klipsch 12” has more bass than both of these 18” subs.. something isnt set right at all. I have all the gains for subwoofer in the yamaha rxa-3050 maxed to +6.0 and the gain level on the behringer set to 1 o clock position. Anymore than that and it starts humming really really bad..

You probably have a ground loop issue. The simplest fix is often chassis-grounding the avr to the inuke.

Chris
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Yeah, something isn't set right. As mentioned above, you may also have a ground loop somewhere.

You'll want to read around on using room equalization with large subs. Threads geared towards Audessey should be fine, too, for your purposes. I'd set the gain on the 6000D to about half way and re-run room EQ. It should set the trim very low (-10, most likely). Bump it up a bit from there a few clicks and you should have much better results.

Are you using both sub outputs on the AVR? I'd recommend only using one and 'splitting' the signal elsewhere.

Coming from somebody who has a 12" SVS and two full marties... just leave the 12" out of the equation and unplug it. The additional output is nominal now. if you really want, add it back in later.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi

You might find this and the videos that followed that one useful.

JVC X590R - Panasonic UB820 - Elunevision 125" Studio 4K audioweave - Denon AVR 6600h - Axiom speakers with RSL C34e in ceiling and Full Martys 18UM 22 drivers for 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I havent even tinkered with trying to get the minidsp hd going yet. Took me forever to just get the settings into the bahringer amp. Will tuning thru the minidsp get me more volume on the subs than tuning thru the 6000d?
I watched the video on the minidsp and that looks way more complicated than i am comfortable with.
Definatly will try grounding both of my amps chassis together and see if this help.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I found the issue while i was cleaning up all the wires behind my media cabinet..
Sooo freakin happy!! Ground loop hum was annoying as hell.
Now its crystal clear silent like it should be. The ground loop hum was coming thru my coaxial cable coming from my 4k antenna. So basicially soon as i plugged in my hdmi coming from tv ( these are all ran thru the wall together to my LG 77” C9) I’d get the hum from just plugging in one hdmi cable..
Its ok dont really watch local channels so i just unplugged it for now till its football season again.. Then i will have to figure out a way to keep this from happening.

Now if i could just find someone to help me with using this mini dsp hd..

post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
I found the issue while i was cleaning up all the wires behind my media cabinet..
Sooo freakin happy!! Ground loop hum was annoying as hell.
Now its crystal clear silent like it should be. The ground loop hum was coming thru my coaxial cable coming from my 4k antenna. So basicially soon as i plugged in my hdmi coming from tv ( these are all ran thru the wall together to my LG 77” C9) I’d get the hum from just plugging in one hdmi cable..
Its ok dont really watch local channels so i just unplugged it for now till its football season again.. Then i will have to figure out a way to keep this from happening.
I used this (CATV vs. OTA but should work for both) to eliminate my ground loop hum: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: low output from your subs -

Triple-check your wiring, including the wiring between the VCs.

The knobs on the front of the 6kD aren't for gain, they are attenuation knobs. At ~1:00 you're limiting the amount of voltage coming from your Yamaha. Start with those knobs at ~9:00 (or even full clockwise), set the Yammy's LFE level to zero-ish and try again.

Was the 6kD purchased new or used? If used, or you had it setup for some other sub(s), you may want to reset everything (AFAIK there is no magic button to do this, but this set of pictures shows the default settings).

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I purchased the behringer amp brand new. Now that the ground loop hum is gone i have turned the gains on the behringer to the 3 o clock position and the subs are actually doing something now thank god..
Still have the sub gains in the yamaha reciever cranked all the way to +6 db though.
Using the behringer app for my laptop i was able to look and see what the meters where doing and just how close it was to clipping the amp or signal. Its still pretty far from clipping atm.
It goes up to -12 db at the highest on both channels but mainly stay around -18db while music is playing

post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
I purchased the behringer amp brand new. Now that the ground loop hum is gone i have turned the gains on the behringer to the 3 o clock position and the subs are actually doing something now thank god..
Still have the sub gains in the yamaha reciever cranked all the way to +6 db though.
Using the behringer app for my laptop i was able to look and see what the meters where doing and just how close it was to clipping the amp or signal. Its still pretty far from clipping atm.
It goes up to -12 db at the highest on both channels but mainly stay around -18db while music is playing
Crank the knobs on the 6kD all the way clockwise (I apologize for my previous post, I meant 3:00 and not 9:00).

If that doesn't do it I would guess A) wiring problem (most likely IMO) or B) the Yamaha doesn't put out enough voltage to get the 6kD going to it's potential.

Where is the gain set when looking in the Behringer app?

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #12 of 12 Old 05-03-2020, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Finally found the gain it was set to zero in the behringer app. I set it to +5db and have turned the attenuation knobs all the way up so the amp gets the max input signal from my receiver. HUGE diffrence. I also set the crossover to butterworth so I can try to get it to play below 20hz as my full martys are tuned for 17hz. Still dunno if I did it right though. Is there a good video that shows how to do this?
Thanks for the help 🙂

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page