Behringer Fan Mod - Entirely New Twist - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #31 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked: 4028
Consider that dB is not the whole story on noise annoyance. Pitch also plays a big role with higher pitched fans generally more annoying to more people than lower pitched fans. It's the lower pitch along with the lower dB of a slower turning 120mm fan that makes it more acceptable to more people. That and the simplicity of an external mount with no drilling or cutting required are what makes the offset 80mm to 120mm fan adapter so appealing to me. Of course I don't have one of the Behringer amps yet so this is all just future planning for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanny View Post
Well this is my first pro amp that I’ve used in a home setting so I guess I have no other reference to compare. The spec sheet on the fan used in the NX6000d says it is rated at 40dB which is hardly quiet at all (though it produces a ton of static pressure and airflow). If that’s quiet enough for you then great but that is definitely distracting for me (I don’t use a projector either). I’m big on dynamics in sound (quiet should be quiet and loud should be loud) but I understand some people may just like loud.
The stock fan is a Jameco JF0825B1URTR. Closest I could find is JF0825B1UR-R. 52 CFM @ 4000 rpm and 40dB. Yikes! I see nothing about static pressure ratings. These draw 370 mA. It takes a lot to spin at 4000 rpm.

https://www.jameco.com/z/JF0825B1UR-...V_2081078.html

From the Noctua website: 17.1db and 64.6 m3/h (38 cfm) @ 1600 rpm, 11.6dB and 51.1 m3/h (30 cfm) @ 1250 rpm with L.N.A. resistor and 8.4dB and 42.9 m3/h (25 cfm) @ 1050 rpm with U.L.N.A. resistor. Not too bad. Static pressure is 1.62, 1.04 and 0.71 mm H2O. These fans draw 0.07A max so two of these draw half of what the stock fan draws.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a9-flx/specification

I wouldn't run the fans at full speed. I like Noctua for their renown quality and longevity and will run them with the U.L.N.A. resistor. You can put whatever fans you want on there. There are lots of other good brands, pick one you like.

At my work, we design systems with pumps. We like to oversize the pumps and run them slower. It takes less power and the pumps last gignificantly longer.
post #33 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I run the Noctua Redux fans in my Beheringers, they have worked great so far.

The only issue is with their wiring gauge, its too big to fit in the 2pin, snap connector so I had to splice them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Well this is my first pro amp that I’ve used in a home setting so I guess I have no other reference to compare. The spec sheet on the fan used in the NX6000d says it is rated at 40dB which is hardly quiet at all (though it produces a ton of static pressure and airflow). If that’s quiet enough for you then great but that is definitely distracting for me (I don’t use a projector either). I’m big on dynamics in sound (quiet should be quiet and loud should be loud) but I understand some people may just like loud.
Ahhh, well that explains it. The crowns are decent quiet but if you get into the bigger power ones, they are wayyyyy louder than the nx line. They are considered about the quietest pro amp you can get (that has a fan)

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
post #35 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
At my work, we design systems with pumps. We like to oversize the pumps and run them slower. It takes less power and the pumps last gignificantly longer.
Not to derail this thread but why would oversizing pumps (or anything) and running them slower save power? Pump power is a function of head, flow, pump efficiency and motor efficiency. Using a larger pump and slowing it down doesn’t change any of those unless you picked a smaller pump with the incorrect efficiency at operating conditions (closed loop system).
post #36 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Assuming the pumps are designed for the same life, the oversize pump is running at less than its rated capacity, so lower stress levels.

Quote:
Not to derail this thread but why would oversizing pumps (or anything) and running them slower save power? Pump power is a function of head, flow, pump efficiency and motor efficiency. Using a larger pump and slowing it down doesn’t change any of those unless you picked a smaller pump with the incorrect efficiency at operating conditions (closed loop system).

Noah
post #37 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Assuming the pumps are designed for the same life, the oversize pump is running at less than its rated capacity, so lower stress levels.
I was just commenting about the part of how it would use less power. According to every applicable engineering equation it wouldn’t. Less wear and tear by operating at a lower speed makes sense but not the power part.
post #38 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was just commenting about the part of how it would use less power. According to every applicable engineering equation it wouldn’t. Less wear and tear by operating at a lower speed makes sense but not the power part.

While you are right, the larger pump would use less voltage to achieve the same vacuum power with a bigger piston. It’s not just motor size, think about woofer size, the bigger the woofer the less power is needed at lower frequencies.

Also less heat and less resistance, bigger bearings having less restriction. It all adds up but I imagine the biggest effect comes from lasting longer and needing less maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I was just commenting about the part of how it would use less power. According to every applicable engineering equation it wouldn’t.

Oops, read too fast, missed that.

It is possible that power consumption is less.

Fans have a lot of slip, and viscous fluid friction increases with the square of velocity.

The net result will depend on the integrated blade velocity profile with radius.

I'm too lazy to think it through but my guess is that for the same tip velocity, a number of smaller fans with the same flow area as a larger fan will produce less total flow, and that when the flow is equalized by increasing rpm, they will have more viscous losses.

Oops, still reading too fast, just noticed your second sentence.

Which equations are you referring to?

Noah
post #40 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Oops, read too fast, missed that.

It is possible that power consumption is less.

Fans have a lot of slip, and viscous fluid friction increases with the square of velocity.

The net result will depend on the integrated blade velocity profile with radius.

I'm too lazy to think it through but my guess is that for the same tip velocity, a number of smaller fans with the same flow area as a larger fan will produce less total flow, and that when the flow is equalized by increasing rpm, they will have more viscous losses.

Oops, still reading too fast, just noticed your second sentence.

Which equations are you referring to?
Standard hydraulic power equations. The link below is for pumps but it’s basically the same for fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...wer-d_505.html
post #41 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
While you are right, the larger pump would use less voltage to achieve the same vacuum power with a bigger piston. It’s not just motor size, think about woofer size, the bigger the woofer the less power is needed at lower frequencies.

Also less heat and less resistance, bigger bearings having less restriction. It all adds up but I imagine the biggest effect comes from lasting longer and needing less maintenance.

We design mining equipment systems that pump slurry under pressure for thousands of linear feet at varying amounts of lift, usually do not pull vac (our centrifugal pumps don't like to prime). Centrifugal pumps have more in common with a fan than piston pumps do. The idea is that there is less work being lost to friction that come from higher velocities. Immediately after the pump we also put a reducer, actually as an increaser, to further slow the velocity to just above where the slurry remains in suspension. Through many years of experience, this recipe has proven itself over and over. Less power is used and pumps and piping lasts longer. That's the way it's done (correctly) in the mining industry.

If given the choice between too small, theoretically perfect, or too big, it is better to go somewhere bigger than theoretically perfect.

I hope I was effective in explaining the reasoning.

I know that this talk of pumps was not intended to say that dual fans will have no benefit. It was an analogy. Perhaps I should not have mentioned it because of the distraction potential.

Spinning 2x 92mm fans at 1/4 the speed will flow similar amounts of air in cfm (not static air pressure which is rather unimportant in an open flow situation that cooling requires), will use half the power, the fans will last longer and be nearly silent, all benefits.
post #42 of 75 Old 05-15-2020, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We design mining equipment systems that pump slurry under pressure for thousands of linear feet at varying amounts of lift, usually do not pull vac (our centrifugal pumps don't like to prime). Centrifugal pumps have more in common with a fan than piston pumps do. The idea is that there is less work being lost to friction that come from higher velocities. Immediately after the pump we also put a reducer, actually as an increaser, to further slow the velocity to just above where the slurry remains in suspension. Through many years of experience, this recipe has proven itself over and over. Less power is used and pumps and piping lasts longer. That's the way it's done (correctly) in the mining industry.

If given the choice between too small, theoretically perfect, or too big, it is better to go somewhere bigger than theoretically perfect.

I hope I was effective in explaining the reasoning.

I know that this talk of pumps was not intended to say that dual fans will have no benefit. It was an analogy. Perhaps I should not have mentioned it because of the distraction potential.

Spinning 2x 92mm fans at 1/4 the speed will flow similar amounts of air in cfm (not static air pressure which is rather unimportant in an open flow situation that cooling requires), will use half the power, the fans will last longer and be nearly silent, all benefits.

Wouldn’t the compression of pushing a 92mm fan through a 80mm hole effect the expected CFM flow? Also with the shroud restricting the movement of the air flow be affected by the static pressure as well?

post #43 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
Wouldn’️t the compression of pushing a 92mm fan through a 80mm hole effect the expected CFM flow? Also with the shroud restricting the movement of the air flow be affected by the static pressure as well?

I wondered that myself so cfm was allready talked about. The stock fan is rated at 52 cfm. These two Noctua fans I have selected, when run at their lowest speed, push a similar 50 cfm (25 each) through the now clear 80mm hole that no longer has a fan motor in the center.

It is also noteworthy that a 92mm fan does not flow air through the entire 92mm because the motor obstructs the center.

Static air pressure is irrelevant in an open flow situation where we are not pushing against anything. Static air pressure is measured by blowing into a duct and closing the end off until you reach max pressure. Closing it off beyond that may well result in a decrease in pressure from the max. We are interested in moving as much air across the heatsink as we can, not inflating balloons (so to speak).

The Behringer NU series has enough slots in the front panel to allow 100 cfm (2 stock fans in the NU6000) to flow openly.

There may be an increase in static pressure if 2 sets of 2x 92mm fans were to be run at full speed if the cfm exceeded the flow capabilities of the slots in the front panel.
bulls likes this.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-16-2020 at 08:05 AM.
post #44 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Hydraulic equations aren't applicable to fans, as the assumption is for incompressible fluids.

Quote:
Standard hydraulic power equations. The link below is for pumps but it’s basically the same for fans.

Noah

Last edited by noah katz; 05-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.
post #45 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Hydraulic equations aren't applicable to fans, as the assumption is for incompressible fluids.

Quote:
Standard hydraulic power equations. The link below is for pumps but it’️s basically the same for fans.

When I meant the same I just meant the principle is the same. Power is based on pressure, flow, and pump/fan efficiency (and motor efficiency). Doesn’t matter if it’s fans or pumps just the constant and units change.

Here’s the equation for fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eng...ion-d_197.html
post #46 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 102
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...751-ND/2615564

These fans may be of use to some people.

AVSCIENCE.COM. topic = 459.60
A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are least under rated if at all.
post #47 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 10:52 AM

Hmm, no mention of blade air friction loss so I guess it's not a significant factor.

Quote:
When I meant the same I just meant the principle is the same. Power is based on pressure, flow, and pump/fan efficiency (and motor efficiency). Doesn’t matter if it’s fans or pumps just the constant and units change.

Here’s the equation for fans.

Noah
post #48 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Hmm, no mention of blade air friction loss so I guess it's not a significant factor.

Quote:
When I meant the same I just meant the principle is the same. Power is based on pressure, flow, and pump/fan efficiency (and motor efficiency). Doesn’️t matter if it’️s fans or pumps just the constant and units change.

Here’️s the equation for fans.

Any friction losses like that would be taken into account in the fan efficiency. Basically any energy converted from motion to heat would be considered the efficiency losses in the fan. The equation assumes you have the fan curve so you can look up the efficiency at the operating condition that you are calculating power for.
post #49 of 75 Old 05-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Ok then you'd have to have the curves for the fans in question to see if there are any meaningful differences between the different fan sizes.

All highly academic though, as these fans use on the order of a watt or so.

Quote:
Any friction losses like that would be taken into account in the fan efficiency. Basically any energy converted from motion to heat would be considered the efficiency losses in the fan. The equation assumes you have the fan curve so you can look up the efficiency at the operating condition that you are calculating power for.

Noah
post #50 of 75 Old 06-01-2020, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Edit and update in first post. New file attached, Rev 2.
post #51 of 75 Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Edit and update in first post. New file attached, Rev 3.
post #52 of 75 Old 06-18-2020, 09:32 AM

Very nice work.

I think you've done as good a job as possible directing airflow in the volume available, but it's still a lot of restriction relative to a normal installation.

Any idea what the net cfm is?

Noah
post #53 of 75 Old 06-18-2020, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Very nice work.

I think you've done as good a job as possible directing airflow in the volume available, but it's still a lot of restriction relative to a normal installation.

Any idea what the net cfm is?
The 2 Noctua 92mm fans running with the ULNA are rated at about the same CFM as the stock OEM fan, right around 50CFM. Without the fan motor in the center of the 80mm opening, the flow path into the case is actually greater than with a 80mm fan.

I'm actually running at full speed without the LNA or ULNA adapters and it's almost completely silent. Now I have to replace the fans on my ent. center cabinets with Noctua.
post #54 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Without the fan motor in the center of the 80mm opening, the flow path into the case is actually greater than with a 80mm fan.

I'm thinking of the restriction caused by the fans blowing almost straight into the dividing wall.

But I guess you can get a pretty good idea just by feeling the sir flow with your hand.

Noah
post #55 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
I'm thinking of the restriction caused by the fans blowing almost straight into the dividing wall.

It is not ideal. They would be a lot more efficient sucking air rather than blowing. They should still be sufficient though.
post #56 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked: 3860
back to front airflow is idiotic.
Trimlock likes this.
post #57 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But I guess you can get a pretty good idea just by feeling the sir flow with your hand.
These fans have pretty high static pressure especially at full speed. You can def feel the air across the heat sink and even coming out the front grill. Air changes direction pretty readily. If it were backing up it'd increase the fan noise. Without doing a flow analysis, my gut tells me there is no significant loss especially since I have the fans running at full speed which results in lots more CFM (76 vs 50 ULNA or 52 OEM fan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
It is not ideal. They would be a lot more efficient sucking air rather than blowing. They should still be sufficient though.
The flow through the dual fan adapter might be better in the other direction (fans reversed) but you'd get far less over the heat sink. Think of a cup of coffee...you cool it off by blowing. The opposite just won't work.

A mentor once told me, "That's the difference between a suck and a blow."

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
back to front airflow is idiotic.
Not sure what you are saying here. Reverse air flow perhaps? All Behringers flow back to front.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-19-2020 at 04:24 PM.
post #58 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Not sure what you are saying here. Reverse air flow perhaps? All Behringers flow back to front.
Out of the factory they do, yes. What Not is saying is that is against all supported cooling methods in rack mounted equipment (I hope he will correct me if I'm interpreting his response incorrectly).

Rack mount equipment residing in co-locations (for those that aren't aware, datacenters of computers) are all designed to evacuate hot air to the back, or the "hot aisle". Cool air enters from the front, or the "cold aisle". There is a separation in datacenters to keep the cold aisle producing cold air, and the hot aisle to evacuate hot air.

So in the case of the Behringers the air flow has always been backwards, per rack assembly methodology.
jamiebosco and notnyt like this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #59 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked: 3860
Quote:

Yes, and they're stupid for doing it. that's all. Especially when industry standard is front intake, you end up sucking hot air from other gear in the cab.

Depending on which amp you have, might want to compare with front to back airflow.
post #60 of 75 Old 06-19-2020, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Out of the factory they do, yes. What Not is saying is that is against all supported cooling methods in rack mounted equipment (I hope he will correct me if I'm interpreting his response incorrectly).

Rack mount equipment residing in co-locations (for those that aren't aware, datacenters of computers) are all designed to evacuate hot air to the back, or the "hot aisle". Cool air enters from the front, or the "cold aisle". There is a separation in datacenters to keep the cold aisle producing cold air, and the hot aisle to evacuate hot air.

So in the case of the Behringers the air flow has always been backwards, per rack assembly methodology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Yes, and they're stupid for doing it. that's all. Especially when industry standard is front intake, you end up sucking hot air from other gear in the cab.

Depending on which amp you have, might want to compare with front to back airflow.
You are correct. Back to front is contraventional. It'd be pretty involved to turn the air flow around on a Behringer. Easiest way might be with another fan inside...but meh.

Are other pro amps back to front? Is that a pro gear thing or a Behringer thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
behringer fan mod

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page