Replacement Drivers for Height/Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Popovich
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Replacement Drivers for Height/Atmos

I know this is going to sound crazy but I think I need to replace my 4" drivers in my JBL n24's that Im using as height speakers. Yes, I said n24 LOL. I picked them many years ago thinking they would match fairly well with the tonality of my JBLS38's. These n24's are "breaking up" at volume which makes me think I need something to handle the power. If I run the same height signal to one of my mains, the sound does not distort. The n24 are only rated to 100 watts. Im thinking I need something better than 150 watts. I tried a speaker rated at 125 but still experienced the distortion. (less at the same receiver volume but still there). Can I get a 4" driver to bring the power rating up of these little speakers? This is a budget system so purchasing SVS, Klipsch, or other purpose made height speaker is not an option.


This is about the only one I could find in a higher wattage.


https://www.parts-express.com/morel-...-ohms--297-002


Thanks
GrabberGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
buggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If you change a driver you will most likely need to re-design the crossover. Are you going to be doing that?
buggers is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-22-2020, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I don't think you're going to have success messing with it like that, and likely going to spend more money for no/minimal results than if you just used different speakers. Can you adjust the signal in your AVR to filter out even more low end? Can you simply lower their level a couple dB and get by? A 4" driver isn't going to do miracles.
Chris Popovich is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggers View Post
If you change a driver you will most likely need to re-design the crossover. Are you going to be doing that?

No I wanst going to change the crossover. Being that these are height/surround speakers, the quality doesnt exactly have to be the best so current crossover should work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
I don't think you're going to have success messing with it like that, and likely going to spend more money for no/minimal results than if you just used different speakers. Can you adjust the signal in your AVR to filter out even more low end? Can you simply lower their level a couple dB and get by? A 4" driver isn't going to do miracles.

I've adjusted crossover all the way up to 250 and still have distortion. Reducing levels helps but I'd rather not have to do that.


Im going to go ahead and buy one of these Morel speakers. Is 4ohm the correct version to get? I assume both the tweeter and woofer are 4ohm and wired in series to get 8ohm. If the speaker is max watts 300 in 4ohm doesnt it become 150 as 8ohm?
GrabberGT is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 347
That's not how it works, just pull your JBL woofer and measure with a multimeter.

Max watts is max watts, it's not an amplifier that capacity changes with impedance...


Chris
Chris Popovich is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
That's not how it works, just pull your JBL woofer and measure with a multimeter.

Max watts is max watts, it's not an amplifier that capacity changes with impedance...


Chris

DOH! Thanks. Im overthinking it. LOL
GrabberGT is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 347
If you're happy with the JBL's in general I'd just go up a size and check ebay. I saw some N26's on there for about the same cost as two morel woofers.

Edit: Less money, shipped, for two used N26's. I'd def try that before any other option.
Chris Popovich is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
If you're happy with the JBL's in general I'd just go up a size and check ebay. I saw some N26's on there for about the same cost as two morel woofers.

Edit: Less money, shipped, for two used N26's. I'd def try that before any other option.

Tried them. They max out at 125 watts and also a higher sensitivity rating. It was better but still nowhere near as good as my S38. They still had distortion. The S38 playing the same levels and excerpt was clean.

Last edited by GrabberGT; 05-26-2020 at 10:28 PM.
GrabberGT is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 347
eh?

You're replacing the woofers in your N24 speakers used for height, right? Replace those N24's with N26's. No one said anything about your S38's. Are you into the sauce? Am I?

Do you mean the 26's are better than 24's but not as good as you want? How much are you asking out of height speakers?
Chris Popovich is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
eh?

You're replacing the woofers in your N24 speakers used for height, right? Replace those N24's with N26's. No one said anything about your S38's. Are you into the sauce? Am I?


LOL... Just using the S38 as reference. Making sure that the sound Im hearing from the N24's isnt just an anomaly in the soundtrack. If it was, then the S38 would also have it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post


Do you mean the 26's are better than 24's but not as good as you want? How much are you asking out of height speakers?


Yes the 26's are better than the 24's but still introduce distortion... (and they are huge). My height speakers are 14' away from my listening position. I SPL match them to 85db to match the ear level speakers. Its the peaks that they have trouble keeping up with which just happens to be where the soundtrack needs then to shine.
GrabberGT is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Something is off. The atmos speakers don't have that much going on, nevermind breaking up a decent 6" bookshelf speaker. You sure it's not the amp kicking the bucket when all channels are driven into that particular load? 14' away is a bit much for a 4" woofer, I'd cross that sucker over as high as possible and kick it down a couple db's.... call it good. Have photos of the setup?
SuperFist likes this.
Chris Popovich is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-27-2020, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Popovich View Post
Something is off. The atmos speakers don't have that much going on, nevermind breaking up a decent 6" bookshelf speaker. You sure it's not the amp kicking the bucket when all channels are driven into that particular load? 14' away is a bit much for a 4" woofer, I'd cross that sucker over as high as possible and kick it down a couple db's.... call it good. Have photos of the setup?

The atmos speakers have lots going on. Sure they primarily add to atmosphere but when the sound engineer wants true object based tracking, the atmos channels can have quite a bit of output. Also, the largest amnt of distortion is found when watching 5.1 or 7.1 content that the receiver is up-mixing to the height speakers. Bad Boys 3 in 5.1 for example has multiple scenes where the music gets played thru height speakers during some flying sequences. Really neat effect but too much for my little speakers to handle.



Its shouldnt be the amp for 2 reasons. 1. The same signal was played thru a larger speaker at the same volume level (all other speaker levels turned all the way down) and there is not any distortion. 2. I've already off loaded the main channels to a 5-channel amplifier so that My Marantz is now only powering the height channels. My system is 5.4.4.


Here is a good overall photo of my setup. Taken from as far back in the room as possible. (About 4' behind the seating position.) The room is 19x19. The screen is 10' wide. Height speakers are mounted at the top of the pillars on each side. Each speaker is aimed at the center of the listening position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	2733062  
GrabberGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off