Outboard sub amplifier for old Aperion 12D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2

post #1 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Outboard sub amplifier for old Aperion 12D

I have a first edition Aperion 12D (dont judge!) that is over 10 years old. I replaced it with a PSA 15 when the amp decided to produce white noise in addition to sub sounds. The first edition has dual 12" 8 ohm drivers in a somewhat small box. It makes no sense in my opinion to even try to get the amp fixed, due to age.

I have been looking around for a good amplifier to use, and not having much luck. I would like to use this as a near-field sub, as I have an open concept, and although the PSA does a good job, I could use some more "snap". I considered Crowsons and the like, but I figured that I have this rather large, 50+ pound paperweight laying around, why not use that to blast right into my love seat. Wifey would never go for a BOSS setup.

The speakers are wired parallel, producing a 4 ohm load. Whereas if I did them in series, it would be 16 ohm, which makes no sense. Does anybody have any experience with 4 ohm stable mono sub amps? I have found a few, but have no experience with this stuff. I was huge into car stereo in the 80s and 90s, but have left that behind for good, so I really want to up my system at home, in the least expensive way possible. My setup is in my signature.

Any advice would be welcomed, as well as appreciated. The original was a 500W amp. Outboard is required, as I can only get speaker wire to it, not power and LFE RCA.

Thanks for reading.

My humble little 5.1 system, "Virtual Cinema" front, wall of sound config:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers, 2 JBL 530 Bookshelfs, and a JBL 520C Center.
Power Sound Audio V1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 942
NX1000D?

I used one to power an old sub on which the plate amp died. Drilled a 15/16" hole through the plate amp and installed a SpeakOn connector, wired it up and viola.
scottiemon likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
I've posted this many times; plate amps are crap and are generally not able to be repaired cheaply due to non availability of parts, or the parts being proprietary and expensive; I used to repair gear as a sideline and at one stage had a big box of dead plate amps. As suggested above, use an external amp, so when you fully come over to the dark side and DIY your sub(s), you'll be partly prepared. Get an amp with DSP; they're usually only a modest price increase and it makes them much more flexible to use.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page