Allowed a make a subwoofer but need help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chrisipod4s

post #1 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Allowed a make a subwoofer but need help

Hey guys,

My wife got rid of this old bookshelf in the corner of our living room and wants a end table to put there I told her I can build it and put a sub in the bottom to hid it and she said ok. So was thinking an ultimax 18 but not sure.

I have currently have a klipsch 12 and a infinity 12 subs and I am a lil worried about blending them all. Is that or should it be a concern as space will not allow for a second end table sub at this time

which amps and subs should I be looking at? Budget is $1000

The space I have to work with is 32x32 and 26 high. So which sub build would work with in that space it would have to be down firing so I can make the top an end table for a lamp.
head_unit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You have two 12" subs and are looking for advice on building a third with an end table size cabinet? If yes, are those subs ported or sealed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker927 View Post
You have two 12" s and are looking for advice on building a third with an end table size cabinet? If yes, are those subs ported or sealed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Yes I have a klipsch and an infinity sub both 12 inch both ported this will be my first build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2020, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
With those dimensions you could modify a marty cube to downfire with a dayton RSS460HO-4, and adjust the port lenght to favor movie or music listening. If you need a plate amp the dayton SPA500DSP will work. If you can deal with the noise(or mod the fan) and wiring the bheringer nx3000d would let you add another sub in the future but the proaudio amp has drawbacks in a dual use spac.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Build a VBSS into an endtable.

Cheap and shockingly effective.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
With those dimensions you could modify a marty cube to downfire with a dayton RSS460HO-4, and adjust the port lenght to favor movie or music listening. If you need a plate amp the dayton SPA500DSP will work. If you can deal with the noise(or mod the fan) and wiring the bheringer nx3000d would let you add another sub in the future but the proaudio amp has drawbacks in a dual use spac.
I’ll look into that it will be mostly be used for ht
post #7 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisipod4s View Post
down firing
The thing about that is this thing called "gravity" inevitably pulls the coil and suspension out of their prime alignment. Since this goes in a corner, can't you put the woofer on the back/side? Do consider at high SPLs the air "jets" straight in/out of the port so you need a few port diameters of clearance ideally. Hmmm...maybe you could build a shelf port into the bottom, but recessed so it is not easily visible?

Actually considering port difficulties, and the 12.5 cubic feet you have, I'd be considering 2 woofers on each out-of-sight side, kind of slot loaded into the corner and loading each other. Well stuffed, Q low, would probably extend really well with room gain. Higher driver cost though, unless you used somewhat less godly drivers.

P.S. We DEMAND a build thread, we wanna see this!

P.P.S. As for the other subs, with a monster like this, make your wife even happier and ditch them.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisipod4s View Post
Hey guys,

My wife got rid of this old bookshelf in the corner of our living room and wants a end table to put there I told her I can build it and put a sub in the bottom to hid it and she said ok. So was thinking an ultimax 18 but not sure.

I have currently have a klipsch 12 and a infinity 12 subs and I am a lil worried about blending them all. Is that or should it be a concern as space will not allow for a second end table sub at this time

which amps and subs should I be looking at? Budget is $1000

The space I have to work with is 32x32 and 26 high. So which sub build would work with in that space it would have to be down firing so I can make the top an end table for a lamp.
UM18-22 on sale now for $279 from $324. I just bought two more. That will make eight.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Actually considering port difficulties, and the 12.5 cubic feet you have, I'd be considering 2 woofers on each out-of-sight side, kind of slot loaded into the corner and loading each other. Well stuffed, Q low, would probably extend really well with room gain. Higher driver cost though, unless you used somewhat less godly drivers.

P.S. We DEMAND a build thread, we wanna see this!

Been thinking about this and grabbing 2 ultimaxs while on sale. Have a few questions on how it would work.

1 are you talking sealed?
2 Would it be two box’s in “one” or Would they just share the space inside?
3 How much output would gained
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyduck103 View Post
UM18-22 on sale now for $279 from $324. I just bought two more. That will make eight.
Thanks I went and purchased one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page