Home Theather speaker/receiver recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Home Theather speaker/receiver recommendation

Hello guys,

I would like to install a 5.1 sound system in my living room. The room size is about 3.5m x 3.5m (11' 5" x 11' 5") but it's on a weirdly shaped open floor space with the couch against a wall.

The main usage will be for watching YouTube and Netflix and I don't need anything super loud (the neighbors wouldn't like it).

I don't have a fixed budget but I like the idea of getting the best bang for the buck, I also like building things so that's why I am on the DIY forum

I did some research already I am thinking about going with the DIYSG HT-8 as my LCR and Volt-6 as the surround, but I am not sure if they will be enough for this room. As for the subwoofers I have no idea which one to get yet, but I do enjoy watching movies with powerful bass.

I am also a bit concerned about the surround speakers placement, I am thing about putting them at about ear level at the side of the couch, the problem is that the couch is on a corner so anyone that's on the chaise longue (my wife) will have the left surround speaker very close to their ears.

If you guys also have any receiver recommendation to go with this setup I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Cesar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 19.52.00.png
Views:	53
Size:	972.3 KB
ID:	2731196  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The HT-8s are probably more than enough for that room. I use them as surrounds and tested them as mains. I was very impressed for their size. They can get loud while remaining very clear. Since you don't have Atmos you can raise your surrounds above ear level and avoid the speaker being right next to the listener. Maybe even ceiling mount them. I'll let someone else recommend a sub. Seems like a smaller corner loaded sub to the left of TV would be good. You'll have to get a sub if you go with the HT8s.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If your looking for just 5.1 in a room that big I would be on eBay looking at an Anthem MRX700.

Comes with very good room correction that will sort the issues with your room. Very good internal amps. Very good SQ. no bells and whistles.

And can be had for very cheap now when you consider they were over 2000 GBP new..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Oh and as for sub. With a room that size I would be looking at 2 small sealed opposite corners with lots of power with long Xmax driver

Like a Dayton ultimax 12

2 is always better than one.

Power than with a Nx3000D and use the dsp to time align before running the AVR room correction.

Pretty capable system for not a lot of outlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! They are very helpful!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-23-2020, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Is there any chance of moving the couch away from the wall to the right a bit?
If so, you could tuck a sub into the left corner to get boundary reinforcement right next to the couch, and depending on the sub, use it as an end table.
(There have been several VBSS table builds that gave me the idea. That may be too wide, but you'd get the idea)
Another option would be to build a low profile sub or an array under the chaise lounge if there's space.

A potential additional bonus of moving the sofa is that you could get separation of the surrounds from your wife's ear, or even consider putting a bipole or dipole speaker on the left wall so that the sound is diffused reflecting off the wall instead of direct.
Then you could put the opposing bipole on a stand on the far side of the couch which would now be closer to where the stand would be equidistant from MLP centerline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Canassa View Post
I would like to install a 5.1 sound system in my living room. The room size is about 3.5m x 3.5m (11' 5" x 11' 5") but it's on a weirdly shaped open floor space with the couch against a wall.
The main usage will be for watching YouTube and Netflix and I don't need anything super loud (the neighbors wouldn't like it).
I don't have a fixed budget but I like the idea of getting the best bang for the buck, I also like building things so that's why I am on the DIY forum
I am also a bit concerned about the surround speakers placement, I am thing about putting them at about ear level at the side of the couch, the problem is that the couch is on a corner so anyone that's on the chaise longue (my wife) will have the left surround speaker very close to their ears.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Is there any chance of moving the couch away from the wall to the right a bit?
If so, you could tuck a sub into the left corner to get boundary reinforcement right next to the couch, and depending on the sub, use it as an end table.
(There have been several VBSS table builds that gave me the idea. That may be too wide, but you'd get the idea)
Another option would be to build a low profile sub or an array under the chaise lounge if there's space.

A potential additional bonus of moving the sofa is that you could get separation of the surrounds from your wife's ear, or even consider putting a bipole or dipole speaker on the left wall so that the sound is diffused reflecting off the wall instead of direct.
Then you could put the opposing bipole on a stand on the far side of the couch which would now be closer to where the stand would be equidistant from MLP centerline.
That's a very good idea and I think it's possible, I will test it out although I think that I would prefer to keep the sofa where it's now.

I am currently looking for the Anthem MRX 700 but they don't seem very common to find
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Google shopping shows 2 inexpensive ones, used. One on ebay, one on Audiogon.
If you go much more than those, I'd suggest considering some of the mid-high range Denons (AVR-X3500H or higher), refurb or new to get the latest features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Canassa View Post
I am currently looking for the Anthem MRX 700 but they don't seem very common to find
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpoe View Post
Google shopping shows 2 inexpensive ones, used. One on ebay, one on Audiogon.
If you go much more than those, I'd suggest considering some of the mid-high range Denons (AVR-X3500H or higher), refurb or new to get the latest features.
Oh, they weren't showing for me, Google is probably limiting my search by geolocation. Unfortunately, I just notice that they don't work with 240v 50Hz (I am in Europe).

I will check the Denons, thanks!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

The Arcam AVR390 seems like a good option too, Arcam is easier to find around here and it comes with Dirac Live.

The downside is that it only does 60W per channel, but given that the HT-8 is easy to drive and my small room size (3m listener distance to source) and think that it should be enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page