At wits end ... My Devastator story and needed help! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #91 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdfantastic View Post
I guess I would have to reopen the hatch on the back of the DEV to run this test or I guess just remove the speakon from the amp end and plug to binding posts on the amp.
I had to do the same on a custom midbass module build, that's how I found my issue. I checked the SpeakOn 4 times and was sure I had it right...I did not

Degenerate track rat, serial amateur speaker builder, and over confident mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerhar View Post
I had to do the same on a custom midbass module build, that's how I found my issue. I checked the SpeakOn 4 times and was sure I had it right...I did not
Will check it out tonight. I also tried connecting a bluetooth adapter via single RC cable to the crown amp and did not get enough signal. Only the first light lit up. Funny thing was that even though channel 2 was set to zero gain and amp being in bridge mode, indicator light on channel 2 was dimly lit when not music was playing but bluetooth adapter was connected to the amp. Every day is a new discovery.....
post #93 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Will check it out tonight. I also tried connecting a bluetooth adapter via single RC cable to the crown amp and did not get enough signal. Only the first light lit up. Funny thing was that even though channel 2 was set to zero gain and amp being in bridge mode, indicator light on channel 2 was dimly lit when not music was playing but bluetooth adapter was connected to the amp. Every day is a new discovery.....
Sounds like a wiring issue, then. I had the same issue and I had it wired wrong. Hopefully the case for you as well.

Degenerate track rat, serial amateur speaker builder, and over confident mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I can't offer much help with your issue but I'm very interested in seeing what the issue turns out to be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #95 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Quote:
Do you have any other sub you could connect to the amp? If so, connect it to your amp in non bridge mode. Also, if you have a multimeter, you could measure your avr preout voltage being sent to the amp. That will shed some light on your issue as well.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #96 of 146 Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I can drive a crown to a couple of lights, if not clipping, with my freaking iphone, lightning to 1/8 stereo adapter, and a 1/8 minijack to rca on the back of a crown 2502. It's my quick-test go-to. Start with iphone volume down and gains down. Then max the iphone volume. Then turn up gains. You're not hurting anything driving a devastator full range for testing. It'll sound like hell though.
kmerhar likes this.
post #97 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update..

Humming Issue - I took everything out of the rack yesterday to try and isolate the humming issue. Seems like when I connect RCA to receiver, low level humming starts and if I connect HDMI from receiver to projector, humming elevates very minutely. If I plug in the projector to the outlet (different circuit) humming increases many fold. If I use an extension cord to plug in the projector to the same outlet as other equipment, humming reduces to a level between projector connected to separate outlet and HDMI connected receiver from projector with projector not plugged in the outlet. I have the ground loop isolator on order (per @redfive recommendation) and hope that it should take care of the humming issue. Should receive it by Monday.

Signal Issue - I connected a bluetooth connector to the Yamaha and played music via my phone with sub level set at +5db at Yamaha end, things seem better. Checked wiring and it looks good. I was able to get the level indicator light to go up a few times to 2nd light. Wish I had a multimeter to test but unfortunately I do not have one. I hope that adding a minidsp in between receiver and amp should fix this issue. I have that on order too with expected delivery on Monday. Lets see how that one goes.

Please share your thoughts and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited by dvdfantastic; 05-28-2020 at 07:55 AM.
post #98 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 238
One recommendation: if you can't find someone local to double-check you, and you have a Youtube login, pull out your phone. Open up your Neutrik connectors, and video record your entire chain, including the positions of the wires in the Neutrik connectors, and the wiring inside your dev, if possible. Show us every connection, even show us your sub trim settings in AVR menus, crossover frequencies in AVR menus, current sound mode, EQ settings in amp interface. Let us help be your eyes.

As far as the ground loop issue, there is still a possibility its a wiring issue, but some guys on here recently have had some success with a Humx (just search Amazon for Humx).

--
Denon X1300W/DIYSG Fusion 12 LCR/Volt-10 Rears/Micca M-8C Heights
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
Epson 2030/DIY 110" AT Screen
Eosone RSF1000 for Enjoying Music
post #99 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Quick update..

Signal Issue - I connected a bluetooth connector to the Yamaha and played music via my phone with sub level set at +5db at Yamaha end, things seem better. Checked wiring and it looks good. I was able to get the level indicator light to go up a few times to 2nd light. Wish I had a multimeter to test but unfortunately I do not have one. I hope that adding a minidsp in between receiver and amp should fix this issue. I have that on order too with expected delivery on Monday. Lets see how that one goes.

Please share your thoughts and recommendations. I sincerely appreciate it.
Apologies if I just didn't understand, but did you try running the wire binding post to binding post?

post #100 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerhar View Post
Apologies if I just didn't understand, but did you try running the wire binding post to binding post?
Unfortunately I could'nt as it was too late in the night but I rechecked all connections and wiring. I hope to do so today, if I can get a breather from work. Will update you.
kmerhar likes this.
post #101 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
One recommendation: if you can't find someone local to double-check you, and you have a Youtube login, pull out your phone. Open up your Neutrik connectors, and video record your entire chain, including the positions of the wires in the Neutrik connectors, and the wiring inside your dev, if possible. Show us every connection, even show us your sub trim settings in AVR menus, crossover frequencies in AVR menus, current sound mode, EQ settings in amp interface. Let us help be your eyes.

As far as the ground loop issue, there is still a possibility its a wiring issue, but some guys on here recently have had some success with a Humx (just search Amazon for Humx).
I had planned on doing so. Just waiting to receive minidsp to add that to the mix and see if it helps. Once its in, I will post it for review and recommendations. Thanks!
post #102 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Interesting thing is that I do not have a cable box in the rack. I only have a

When you say "plug wire into outlet, do you mean that I connect speaker wire to Yamaha chassis screw at one end and plug in the other end of the speaker wire into the ground prong on the electrical outlet? Is it safe to do so?

attached pictures is what I was saying to try for a CATV connection most ground loops ive seen are caused by this. You dont have a cablebox but what about a cable modem or network tuner, anything thats connected to CATV coax?

Just to reiterate, this isn't a permanent solution, just a diagnostic to see if thats the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20200528_145120_LI.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2733780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_145159.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	832.9 KB
ID:	2733782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_145246.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	837.1 KB
ID:	2733784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200528_145252.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	826.4 KB
ID:	2733786  

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred

Last edited by VisionxOrb; 05-28-2020 at 03:55 PM.
post #103 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 270
FYI this is what a cheater plug is - https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Polar...4404/203684998

It will disconnect ("lift") the ground wire on your equipment that uses a 3 prong cable, can try at your projector and or crown amp.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #104 of 146 Old 05-28-2020, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 989
I recently added an external amp to power some front height speakers and got a hum. By using the cheater plug on the amp and a ground wire between the receiver and the amp made 99% go away. But I did not like it setup like this so I bought off amazon this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After removing the cheater plug, ground wire, and installing this, all hum was gone. Just letting you know it worked in my situation and with Amazons great return policy it was worth the try.
post #105 of 146 Old 05-29-2020, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
attached pictures is what I was saying to try for a CATV connection most ground loops ive seen are caused by this. You dont have a cablebox but what about a cable modem or network tuner, anything thats connected to CATV coax?

Just to reiterate, this isn't a permanent solution, just a diagnostic to see if thats the issue.
That is so helpful. Thank you, I will give it a shot.
post #106 of 146 Old 05-29-2020, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
FYI this is what a cheater plug is - https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Polar...4404/203684998

It will disconnect ("lift") the ground wire on your equipment that uses a 3 prong cable, can try at your projector and or crown amp.
Thanks. Will check and see if its available st my local store.
post #107 of 146 Old 05-29-2020, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I recently added an external amp to power some front height speakers and got a hum. By using the cheater plug on the amp and a ground wire between the receiver and the amp made 99% go away. But I did not like it setup like this so I bought off amazon this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After removing the cheater plug, ground wire, and installing this, all hum was gone. Just letting you know it worked in my situation and with Amazons great return policy it was worth the try.
Thanks @bluer101 . I have this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y5DLBB...NsaWNrPXRydWU=) on order from amazon per @redfive recommendation. Will give it a shot if the one I have on order does not work. I wish amazon was able to deliver the way they used to but I guess slowness is the norm now in the COVID world.
bluer101 likes this.
post #108 of 146 Old 05-29-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 989
Quote:
Thanks @bluer101 . I have this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y5DLBB...NsaWNrPXRydWU=) on order from amazon per @redfive recommendation. Will give it a shot if the one I have on order does not work. I wish amazon was able to deliver the way they used to but I guess slowness is the norm now in the COVID world.
Here in s fla Amazon has pretty much resumed normal delivery times.
post #109 of 146 Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Here in s fla Amazon has pretty much resumed normal delivery times.
Unfortunately that's the not the same here in the NY/NJ area. Its taking upwards of 10 days to get deliveries even with Prime.
post #110 of 146 Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 393
It sounds like you have multiple ground loops. The isolator might fix it, but you really should not remove the ground pin from the AC plug or use a cheater plug. If you want to revisit using a separate lower impedance wire to give current flowing through the ground wires a different path to flow, keep in mind that you need to connect it to something tied to the ground on both ends and want to use a wire that is lower impedance than the the signal ground wire. So if your amp for example has a plastic housing or is anodized, you might not make an electrical connection unless you find the right point of connection.

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #111 of 146 Old 06-02-2020, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
It sounds like you have multiple ground loops. The isolator might fix it, but you really should not remove the ground pin from the AC plug or use a cheater plug. If you want to revisit using a separate lower impedance wire to give current flowing through the ground wires a different path to flow, keep in mind that you need to connect it to something tied to the ground on both ends and want to use a wire that is lower impedance than the the signal ground wire. So if your amp for example has a plastic housing or is anodized, you might not make an electrical connection unless you find the right point of connection.
Tried the isolator but it did not fix the issue. I have a Jensen CI-2RR IsoMax on order. Lets see if that helps. I am getting tired of this whole situation.
post #112 of 146 Old 06-03-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Tried the isolator but it did not fix the issue. I have a Jensen CI-2RR IsoMax on order. Lets see if that helps. I am getting tired of this whole situation.

I had this issue too. Mine was solvable with the jenson IT. (Isolation transformer) but an easy test to know if it will work is to have the setup all hooked up, and humming. Then pull the lfe signal wire out of the amp. If the hum goes away or gets better, the Jensen will help. If not, it won’t.
post #113 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
I had this issue too. Mine was solvable with the jenson IT. (Isolation transformer) but an easy test to know if it will work is to have the setup all hooked up, and humming. Then pull the lfe signal wire out of the amp. If the hum goes away or gets better, the Jensen will help. If not, it won’t.
I did try that and as long as I do not have the other end of the RCA connected to anything (amp or dsp) and one end connected to crown, there is no hum. Once I connect RCA on both crown and receiver or dsp even with no power to them (unplugged from outlet), I get the hum. So frustrating...
post #114 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did try that and as long as I do not have the other end of the RCA connected to anything (amp or dsp) and one end connected to crown, there is no hum. Once I connect RCA on both crown and receiver or dsp even with no power to them (unplugged from outlet), I get the hum. So frustrating...

I believe the Jensen will help then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #115 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe the Jensen will help then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its coming in today and I sincerely hope it does help. Will report back
post #116 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At wits end ... My Devastator story and needed help!

Quote:
Its coming in today and I sincerely hope it does help. Will report back

I can’t wait for you to get this issue worked out. You are definitely gonna love the sub you built, once it’s working.
I also was hoping there was a avs diy member close to you to help you get it going.
post #117 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can’t wait for you to get this issue worked out. You are definitely gonna love the sub you built, once it’s working.
I also was hoping there was a avs diy member close to you to help you get it going.
Me too. Seems like no one from the NJ area here. Another issue is the whole lack of output issue from the amp (crown). Ordered a CleanBox Pro and hope it can help. Only getting signal light to light up on the crown with gain at max.
post #118 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Me too. Seems like no one from the NJ area here. Another issue is the whole lack of output issue from the amp (crown). Ordered a CleanBox Pro and hope it can help. Only getting signal light to light up on the crown with gain at max.

Yup. That’s the real issue. If you can’t light up those led’s your amp isn’t doing anything. It’s gonna be exciting to see what you think.
post #119 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yup. That’s the real issue. If you can’t light up those led’s your amp isn’t doing anything. It’s gonna be exciting to see what you think.
Will get the CleanBox by Sunday. Can't wait
post #120 of 146 Old 06-04-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Im curious if the speakon is wired wrong. Maybe you think its in the right spot and it isnt. Those holes are pretty small and the numbers even smaller. Shouldve been resloved by now. Take apart the speakon and post pictures. Pictures of everything helps the most.

- MIRAGE OM-C2 Center, MIRAGE M490 L/R, 4 JBL 8330a surr , 8 x JBL 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC RS420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Classix ii's + building Paul Carmody Sunflower Redux for 2 channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page