I'm in the process of building active mains (modified Bordeaux by Jim Holtz) and I didn't want to keep my Klipsch center, because it's quite bright and I also don't really like it all that much.
I chose the DE360 compression driver and the ME45 horn since that combination gives me a smooth top end and a generally pretty linear frequency response, in hope to achieve good panning between LCR (the cost of a horizontal Bordeaux would've been too much). The horn loads down to about 1khz and the crossover point will be around 1.3khz. The low frequency section of the speaker will be two Dayton RS225, which are pretty linear to about 2khz.
Passive crossovers will be finalized with Xsim after I got the drivers in and got some measurements. It's a pretty simple sealed design.
I built the speaker in about one hour:
Writing CNC code from the CAD model: 15 minutes
CNC machine time: 20 minutes
Cleaning up: 5 minutes
Turning the rear panel around to CNC the connector hole: 5 minutes
Gluing and clamping: 10 minutes
I'm happy with that speed as I kind of challenge myself to always be faster, which is why I use the Dado joints seen below. Those allow for super easy and convenient assembly. This also was my first project using the new vacuum table, which was amazing.
Finished parts on the CNC:
Everything lined up and ready for glue. I couldn't make the front baffle yet (no drivers) so I did not glue that to the cab yet.
No need for any additional work steps after the CNC part! Everything is ready for assembly and fits perfectly of course:
And done. Well, I still have to CNC the front baffle but what's another 10 minutes
After two weeks the drivers finally arrived and I finished the baffle. Messed up the horn cutout, which is now 3mm too wide
Will just paint it black. Since it's already flawed because of the wrong baffle cut-out I won't make it pretty.
I set up something as close to an anechoic chamber as I could get for measurements. An outside groundplane measurement was taken to get a better sub 500Hz response.
I got basic FR and impedance sweeps for each channel and then hooked it up to a dsp amp setting up an active crossover. I ended up liking a 900Hz acoustic crossover the best. The CD needed to be attenuated by 20db, which I will have to do via an L-pad in the passive crossover. The noise floor from the amp directly on the CD was unbearable, as expected, but I'm sure nobody hooks up a very efficient tweeter to a 2500W amp channel. Maybe BTH idk.
I'm kinda worried if my AVR will be able to handle this speaker. The impedance varies from 3R to 40R so I might run into both current and voltage limitations. If it doesn't, I'll have a problem, since my AVR doesn't have a center pre out.
I designed my very first passive crossover in Xsim. I hope that I will never have to do this again and will be able to afford to go all active from here on, but it was an interesting process. The woofer network is a basic LR2 config, while I played around with the tweeter response a bit. The 2nd cap changes the slope and phase to my liking, while the cap in parallel with the resistor evens out the treble response a bit (reduces some 2-6khz and boosts above 10khz).
And the measured frequency response with an outdoor GP measurement below 400Hz:
And most importantly: I like how it sounds! Looks tiny on the sub thou