Custom 3-way Mains with TPL-200H and 18ds115 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 80 Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
110" wide 2.40 scope screen with power masking and V6 DreamScreen fabric. JVC RS3000 projector with DCR lens and Lumagen.

Dual TD12M's is a better match sensitivity wise.

The acoustic center of the TD12M and TPL-150H is nearly the same. The TD18H+ is in a separate box, so it can be physically moved forward to match acoustic centers. Or you can just input driver delay.

If I remember correctly the chamber for the TPL is 8.5" x 8.5" x 11" and yes, I lined the chamber and stuffed it with polyfill.

Thanks again Mike.

Very nice video setup. I’m eying a nx5, nx7, or sony vw695es projector and a similarly-sized AT scope screen. That much cost is a ways out though.

Whats the sensitivity concern with an active setup? I assume you’re not pushing the drivers anywhere near their limits.

I was more concerned with reflections off the top of the woofer module than the delay. Adding delay is simple enough.

Thanks,
Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 80 Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,604
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14047 Post(s)
Liked: 11712
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Thanks again Mike.

Very nice video setup. I’m eying a nx5, nx7, or sony vw695es projector and a similarly-sized AT scope screen. That much cost is a ways out though.

Whats the sensitivity concern with an active setup? I assume you’re not pushing the drivers anywhere near their limits.

I was more concerned with reflections off the top of the woofer module than the delay. Adding delay is simple enough.

Thanks,
Chris
Back when I originally built this system, I was setting it up so that I could go passive or active. Separate box for the TD18H+ was all that was really needed for acoustic center match. Beside made building simpler to move in place. But, yes, I just use delay in the DBX PA2. If you want projector recommendations, let me know.
a77cj7 likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #63 of 80 Old 06-29-2020, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Custom 3-way Mains with TPL-200H and 18ds115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If you want projector recommendations, let me know.
Thats right, you ARE the projector guy around here. I have done very minimal research, so sure, I’d love some recommendations.

Usage: 60-70% movie, 20-30% cable, 5-10% gaming.
Room is MOSTLY light controlled, get some splash from adjacent room and stairway.

Currently run a sony vpl-vw60 and Draper 1.3 gain 106” 16:9.

I was looking at the above projectors and a Stewart screen. Scope screen with lens memory to 16:9.
Lets hear just how off-base I am.

Thanks,
Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 80 Old 06-29-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,604
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14047 Post(s)
Liked: 11712
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Thats right, you ARE the projector guy around here. I have done very minimal research, so sure, I’d love some recommendations.

Usage: 60-70% movie, 20-30% cable, 5-10% gaming.
Room is MOSTLY light controlled, get some splash from adjacent room and stairway.

Currently run a sony vpl-vw60 and Draper 1.3 gain 106” 16:9.

I was looking at the above projectors and a Stewart screen. Scope screen with lens memory to 16:9.
Lets hear just how off-base I am.

Thanks,
Chris
Size and solid or AT?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #65 of 80 Old 06-30-2020, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Size and solid or AT?

Around 130”, AT.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #66 of 80 Old 06-30-2020, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,604
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14047 Post(s)
Liked: 11712
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Around 130”, AT.

Chris
JVC RS2000 with Stewart ST130 microperf. What would your viewing distance be?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #67 of 80 Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
JVC RS2000 with Stewart ST130 microperf. What would your viewing distance be?

Huh, guess I was on the right track after all. Rs2000 is basically nx7, correct?
Viewing distance is 10ft from the 106”. The screen will be off the wall with the AT, so will have to move back.
130” size was chosen to stay same height as 16x9, so distance should be similar.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #68 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,604
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14047 Post(s)
Liked: 11712
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Huh, guess I was on the right track after all. Rs2000 is basically nx7, correct?
Viewing distance is 10ft from the 106”. The screen will be off the wall with the AT, so will have to move back.
130” size was chosen to stay same height as 16x9, so distance should be similar.

Chris
You will see the perf some from 10'. Going to DreamScreen V7 (0.95 gain) or Screen Excellence (0.8 gain) you would not see the weave from 10', but you would be giving up too much brightness for HDR at that size. So ST130 microperf is still a better choice. Just letting you know what the trade offs are. RS2000 is sold on the professional side and NX7 is sold on the consumer side, but yes, same projector, other than color of lens trim ring. At least for right now. JVC has talked about bringing the extra perks back for the professional side.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #69 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You will see the perf some from 10'. Going to DreamScreen V7 (0.95 gain) or Screen Excellence (0.8 gain) you would not see the weave from 10', but you would be giving up too much brightness for HDR at that size. So ST130 microperf is still a better choice. Just letting you know what the trade offs are. RS2000 is sold on the professional side and NX7 is sold on the consumer side, but yes, same projector, other than color of lens trim ring. At least for right now. JVC has talked about bringing the extra perks back for the professional side.

Thanks again Mike.
Can you give me a ballpark price on that setup?

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #70 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Member
 
donivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I second Mr. Garrett's advise with going with the RS2000+1.3 gain micro-perforated screen. That's what I run on 136" wide scope screen and I'm at just under 10'. My eyes must not be that good since with movie content I don't notice the perf's.
donivan is offline  
post #71 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 23,782
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You will see the perf some from 10'.

Unless he's lucky and doesn't have the greatest visual acuity anymore like some of us
Mike Garrett likes this.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #72 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Custom 3-way Mains with TPL-200H and 18ds115

Quote:
Originally Posted by donivan View Post
I second Mr. Garrett's advise with going with the RS2000+1.3 gain micro-perforated screen. That's what I run on 136" wide scope screen and I'm at just under 10'. My eyes must not be that good since with movie content I don't notice the perf's.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Happy to hear you’re good at 10ft too, I’ll lose the second row if I have to move back more than that.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #73 of 80 Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Unless he's lucky and doesn't have the greatest visual acuity anymore like some of us

My vision is horrible, but I’m back to 20/20 with glasses.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #74 of 80 Old 07-02-2020, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,604
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14047 Post(s)
Liked: 11712
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Thanks again Mike.
Can you give me a ballpark price on that setup?

Chris
You will need to contact me for that. Can only post MSRP on the forum.
a77cj7 likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #75 of 80 Old Today, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Being as you're selling your 18ds115-4s, what woofer will you use for your lcr build?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Firestick- 125" wide 2.4:1 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 2 Lavoce SAN214.50 ported cabs 15Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is offline  
post #76 of 80 Old Today, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Being as you're selling your 18ds115-4s, what woofer will you use for your lcr build?

That was fast. Someone must watch the classifieds closely.

More than likely will be running AE TD18H+

Backup plan is NSW4018. Better inductance than any of the B&C options, models VERY similar to the AE.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #77 of 80 Old Today, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Great choice! Maybe I missed it, but will this be a dual woofer configuration?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Firestick- 125" wide 2.4:1 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 2 Lavoce SAN214.50 ported cabs 15Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is offline  
post #78 of 80 Old Today, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Great choice! Maybe I missed it, but will this be a dual woofer configuration?

No, single woofer, single mid. I’m going to go broke for this project already, 3 more drivers and another amp wouldn’t help.
I’m pretty sure I will have enough output.

Chris
a77cj7 is online now  
post #79 of 80 Old Today, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
johnson636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim
Posts: 3,548
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Yes, double woofer, double mid. I’m going to go broke for this project already, 3 more drivers and another amp wouldn’t help.
I’m pretty sure I will have enough output.

Chris
Fixed it for ya

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Firestick- 125" wide 2.4:1 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) QSC 2180 - (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune - 2 Devastator Minis B&C21ds115 - 2 Lavoce SAN214.50 ported cabs 15Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
johnson636 is offline  
post #80 of 80 Old Today, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Fixed it for ya

Yeah, getting the upper woofers behind the at screen could be... interesting.

Lets just go all apollo drivers too. With appropriate dci-n amps, should ONLY have a bit over $10k in raw components.

Chris
johnson636 likes this.
a77cj7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off