Anyone else played with the Dayton DSPB Kernel Boards? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone else played with the Dayton DSPB Kernel Boards?

One of my PE orders a little while back I pick up a couple of those DSPB Kernel Boards, 2in-3out Expansion, and a USB Programmer Board. I was bored the other day so I decided to hook one up to my office computer and play around with it a bit.

They seem to be pretty good. Noise floor is similar or maybe a little better then the standard MiniDSP (subjectively). The Sigma Studio software is a little clunky and definitely not as streamlined as MiniDSPs but seems ultimately a little more powerful. Lots of options in the software FIR, 42ms of delay, delay adjustment is also in finer increments, and all sorts of other processors and stuff I didn't really mess with. These also supposedly support 2v in, 2v out.

I did a quick 2way with 24LR crossovers, time aligned, and few bands of PEQ to flatten the response, and a woofer highpass. Had it hooked up to a Dayton APA150 one channel on the woofer, one on the tweet, mono obviously, seemed to work pretty good

I really wish the expansion boards where 2in/4out since the DSP supports that. I did get some 10pin wiring harnesses and some panel mount rca from amazon so when those show up I may try it in a 2/4 configuration.

Anyone else tried these out or have thoughts on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Today, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been eyeing them for some time now
Been waiting to see what others have been doing with them. Did you get one of the amp boards as well ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I actually have one of the 2x50w boards coming to play with. Thinking about trying to use it to make active surrounds, we'll see how it does. Probably only puts out 20-30 or so usable watts at 8ohms at 24v based on the TPA 3116 spec sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wonder if I can use a 48volts power supply with them? I have two large ones that I’ve not used. I had been thinking about those boards and was wondering how well they would work in a set of diy towers a fellow fourm member gave me. They have two 8” 8ohm Dayton woofer and a 1” 1/8” tweeters with a custom lathe wood horn lens
He made a electronic crossover for them but I do t know any of the specs. These had been made about 10 plus years ago
So I thought that these dsp and amp boards would be the ticket for a self powered speaker setup
As you can see in the pics. He made some large diy class A amps. Two mono 200 watt amps and a single two channel at 200 watts each side. I can’t complain about them as he gave them to me. I only had to drive 3 hours each way to pick them up. I was more then happy to do the drive. So please let me know what your thoughts are on the amp boards. I may want to pick your brain some more on them. The cost of them is great, only hope the quality is there as well
Good luck and sorry if I’ve hi jacked your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page