Questions about subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2006, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A have a couple of questions that I hope you guys don't mind me asking. I have A MTX sw2 sub that's not bad but doesn't provide any more oomf than my 10 inch sub. I have thought about replacing the driver for a better one. Now I know many would suggest that I should just buy a better subwoofer which I plan to do but I will still own this one and will still want to see if I can improve it somehow. I have used the selection wizard at the part xpress website and it came up with only a couple of drivers. I'm sure there is a way to find more options to find a driver for this enclosure. Which by the way is (17.5d X 15h X 17w).
Hopefully I can get some guidance.

Now in my living is my second theater setup. I have a polk psw 202 on this system. At moderate levels the sub kicks, but if I turn it up at all, and I am not talking to loud it goes blaahh almost as if someone let the air out of a big balloon. Is the amp at fault or is it the driver?

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2006, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Same answer that I gave you at HTF - Just buying a better driver will not do much. In fact, it may sound worse. Kind of like buying NASCAR race tires for your Pinto. It sure won't win Daytona and it will probably drive worse than it did with the original tires.

-Robert
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Why is that. Are you saying that that it will be impossible to find a driver for that particular dimensions of the box?

YOU ARE HERE! Life EXISTS and Identity! That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and YOU... may contribute a verse. ......what will your verse be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-09-2006, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What's the tuning frequency of the box? Does the sub amp have a sub sonic filter built in? Does it have bass boost? If so, what is the frequency? With all of these unknowns, it's just a guess as to how a new driver will sound. Also, a sub is only as good as its weakest part.

So adding a driver will not change the tuning frency of the sub (if it is ported). It won't change any sub-sonic filter that is already blocking the lowest signals from being reproduced. If you want to do this as a learning experiment then go right ahead but don't set your expectations too high.

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page