XLR between BFD and amp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2006, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If i connect my receiver's sub out to the BFD with an unbalanced RCA-to-XLR (or RCA-to-1/4" TRS) connector, can / should i use a XLR connection between the BFD and the pro amp if the pro amp accepts XLR?

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if its more convinient, sure. once you introduce an unbalanced connection into a chain, the entire chain is unbalanced. so from that standpoint it wont make a difference...but its one less adapter you'd have to use.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Actually, you are only unbalanced from the receiver to the BFD. You are balanced from the BFD to the Amplifier if you use XLR to XLR wired correctly. For instance, you might go unbalanced from a home CD player to the BFD and then run balanced to the amplifiers located on the stage 200 feet away where it would be a short run to feed the loudspeakers. OTOH, at home, it is really a moot point whether you are balanced or not going from the BFD to the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98
Actually, you are only unbalanced from the receiver to the BFD. You are balanced from the BFD to the Amplifier if you use XLR to XLR wired correctly. For instance, you might go unbalanced from a home CD player to the BFD and then run balanced to the amplifiers located on the stage 200 feet away where it would be a short run to feed the loudspeakers. OTOH, at home, it is really a moot point whether you are balanced or not going from the BFD to the amplifier.
while that's true from the cable standpoint, it wont help with ground loops since there is an unbalanced piece of equipment in the line...therefore removing any advantage of using balanced cables.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, so i should be ok with using plain XLR between the BFD and the amp then. As in, it'll work fine, just don't get all the benefits that i'd get if i'd feed the BFD a balanced signal.

Just to satisfy my curiosity then... is the connection between the BFD and amp balanced or not? I understand about the ground loop. But does it still serve to reject noise?

"He who asks feels dumb for a few minutes, but he who does not ask remains dumb forever."

post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan
Ok, so i should be ok with using plain XLR between the BFD and the amp then. As in, it'll work fine, just don't get all the benefits that i'd get if i'd feed the BFD a balanced signal.
right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan
Just to satisfy my curiosity then... is the connection between the BFD and amp balanced or not? I understand about the ground loop. But does it still serve to reject noise?
the "connection" is balanced, but since the receiver is grounded any advantage of using balanced cables is lost. in order to reject noise using balanced cables, the entire chain needs to be balanced. if any portion of it is grounded, it has the potential to pick up ground hum...

here is a nice little article:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/balanced.htm
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98

IMO, I would opt for the balanced cables wherever possible. True, the signal chain will only be as good as the weakest link (receiver to BFD). However chances are someday you will upgrade to a receiver/processor with balanaced outputs and you'll be ready to take advantage of it by having your bases covered everywhere else in the chain. You have to buy cables anyhow, might as well get ones that are ready for the future. You will still benefit the from common mode rejection from balanced device to balanced device (BFD to amp), even if they are preserving possible noise contamination induced from the receiver to the BFD.

Dr V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page