cheap 8" "subwoofers" as normal woofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2006, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey speaker guys. I came across some cheap 8" "subwoofer" drivers and I was wondering if I could use these in my towers. The way I figure it is that these drivers may be stronger in the lower frequencies than what I am currently using. I believe that I can get more out of the enclosures and I think that these could be good buy. I am using 4 drivers per enclosure and each enclosure is about 3 cubic feet. Can anyone tell me about the possible problems that I may encounter with these drivers. Thanks in advance to all of you and keep up the great work as the forum provides a wealth of information on a daily basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Are you talking about replacing the existing drivers? From what I've heard, that's generally a bad idea. The passive crossovers in your towers are specifically designed around the T/S parameters of your existing drivers in those towers. The new drivers may have a natural peak where there was a natural dip in the originals that the X-over compensated for, and if you swapped them, the towers would then have a huge peak at a given freq band.

-Tim
post #3 of 3 Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Well the towers are DIY and so are the Xovers. It's a bit too late too as it took a while for anyone to respond I went ahead and did the necessary tweaks. With some calculations those so called 8" "Subwoofers" are doing a bang up job. It's put alot of body into the lower frequencies that I think were missing even though it performed well. The newer speakers are also much more sensitive so at lower volumes I get a nice response. Thanks for the response though and keep up the great work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page