Help with driver selection for 2 PE prefab boxes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally decided that it is in no way worth it for me to put in the time and purchase tools for a diy cabinet, so I'm just going with 2 PE cabinets. I have a choice of 1,2 or 3 cf sealed. I also have a plx3402 amp for power, so I will likely have to do some bracing here and there... that said.

I have been looking at the TC sounds 2k due to the box size recommendation being exactly 3ft ported or 2ft sealed. Seeing as how I have 1700 watts rms (2ohms) to go to each driver, ( I know the 2k are multiples of 3ohms, but that will still leave me with over 1k watts per driver). Can anyone with modeling software or who just has experience in this area recommend a specific driver better than the tc offerings? I have been told the 2k may be a better performer than the 3k or lms based on my box limitations. Accuracy / SQ is most import. factor, although ultralow extension is a close second. Also, can use 12 or 15"... whichever is going to be better for these boxes. Thank you in advance

Anyone got ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Beuller...

...Beuller?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's your budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

basically all i need are the drivers... so probably around 800... will go higher or lower depending on p.o. diminishing returns
post #5 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Just to throw another idea out there...you could have a cabinetmaker build you a couple of cabinets to spec.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

for 130 bux a piece? even 150... i don't think anyone would do it. I went to the guy who did all my crown moulding and my fireplace (finish carpenter) and after showing him some of the diy projects on here he said no way he could do anything like this for under 400 bux (and that would be like a pe box)
post #7 of 12 Old 08-23-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio
for 130 bux a piece? even 150... i don't think anyone would do it. I went to the guy who did all my crown moulding and my fireplace (finish carpenter) and after showing him some of the diy projects on here he said no way he could do anything like this for under 400 bux (and that would be like a pe box)
You need to find another guy then, because I've heard of much better prices. Just call around....
post #8 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd
You need to find another guy then, because I've heard of much better prices. Just call around....
I was going to have the PE boxes wrapped in leather. Are they really that crappy?

Thanks,

Z
post #9 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You won't find any real cabinetmaker that would build boxes like those from PE for $150.

The PE 3 cu ft boxes are okay. They benefit from some additional reinforcement/bracing to be better. Anyone with a saw and some wood glue can cut the needed pieces and fit them in.

There's no point to modeling anything since they need to be just sealed boxes, and EQ'ed accordingly.

Budget for a Behringer DEQ2496 instead of the cheaper BFD. With the DEQ you can create specialized EQ circuits that will allow the sub to play lower. This is called a LT (Linkwitz Transform) circuit.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You won't find any real cabinetmaker that would build boxes like those from PE for $150.
I didn't mean to imply that...but for more, he could have better cabinets that were built for his specific use (enclosure volume, design).
post #11 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

can't really find any better looking prefab boxes than those. In fact, I've only found one other manufacturer lol
post #12 of 12 Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i'm using a 3.0cuft pe box. i was kinda dissapointed when i cut my driver hole and only saw one vertical brace in the middle of the box. but, even at that it holds up to my sw8200 driver fine and i'm considering another. so, i'd recommend it if you like the looks. it certainly makes for an easy build. i'll leave the driver recommendations to the more qualified.

(edit)- just remember these enclosures. i saw them and considered building one myself. but ended up being impatient and lazy and went with the PE box. http://www.subtoms.com/

also, does anyone know of any CNC services in which you can give them the dimensions of what you need. have them cut all your box panels for you and then have them shipped to you so you could assemble them?

God Bless America
Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page